The Vehicle Purchasing Thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
lol

I mean it's probably going to be a 1400 lesson but if it's not going to bankrupt you then you can chillax and hope stuff gets caught that it covers.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ended up getting a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. Paying a bit more than what I wanted (290 a month for 6 years, almost 10% APR which sucks), does come with 10 year/100k mile warranty at least.

Been covered already, but holy balls! 10% over a 6 year loan!? That is a fuckload of interest.

Doing some reverse math:
~$16k principle loan (warranty included)
$5.3k in interest over the life of the loan

^^ You are paying another 1/3 the cost of the car in interest payments!! ^^
Get better financing. Your credit score really isn't bad at all, it's good in fact.

Then there is the issue of the blue book value. You didn't specify which model / mileage Sonata, but KBB says $10k on the base model and at absolute max, $15k on the top end model. You might want to check you aren't being double fucked on high purchase price and interest.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Agree with what's been said. 736 is still very good credit and should get you something well under 10%.

I hate, hate, hate, hate car salesman and their finance managers. I give them no quarter now. If you even bullshit me for a minute I'll walk out on the deal. There are shitloads of dealerships for all makes down here. I'm the one doing you a favor by buying at yours. The internet has also made negotiating so much better than it was in the old days.

Siliconemelons

Dude... anything score wise 680-720+ you should be sub 5% that's HALF 10% or more... I have a short sale on my credit and we got 3.2 on our QX60... hell the Rouge I got not even a year after the short sale and in the 640's range of score I got a 7% and I want to refi that to a 4ish one to finish it off...

10% is fucking you... no if and's or but's or butts about it - and a 20ish k car should not be blowing your ratio up- i do not see how they are justifying that rate... the fed is not set to up a % till Nov, and thats just "thinking about talking about it"

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well it's entirely possible to get bad rates with a decent score if DTI is past traditional lenders.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So is it white privilege that I always seem to get 0.9-1.9% financing offered to me if I buy cars? I usually just buy them outright but still get offers.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You prob buy new.

I'll never finance through dealership again.... had great luck with local credit unions.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So is it white privilege that I always seem to get 0.9-1.9% financing offered to me if I buy cars? I usually just buy them outright but still get offers.
Being able to buy them outright is way higher on the white privilege scale than a good finance rate.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Same boat here. I got a loan on a BMW years back because I needed some liquid cash for a few months, paid it off less than 6 months later. APR was only 1.79% on that loan. I am 820+ credit though.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The viscous coupling in my escape just started taking a shit on me and I didn't want to put any money into it, so I ended up picking up a 2010 4runner last week.

I'm not real happy about the 4.9 interest rate, but I had a small card payment recently where I missed 4 payments because auto pay wasn't set up correctly and I wasn't paying attention.

Anyways, I love this thing. Any time I'm in the field, I'm working out of the back of my car and going from the escape to the 4runner feels like I just moved to a corner office on the 50th floor. I also don't hit my head on the liftgate or ny knees on the bumper anymore. Liftgate is a couple inches higher and the back floorboard slides out and feels like a standing desk. AND it has a built in inverter with AC in the back, so I don't have to haul one around with car batteries anymore. Loving this thing.

ZzSlxCE.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Drove a 2016 BMW X3 rental. Holy shit was that thing hot garbage. All the amenities of a 25K car for 40K+.

No backup camera lol
Shitty touch shifter like the one that killed Chekov
Ride quality on par with base model pickup truck
Horrible in crosswinds, I mean this thing is tall but this thing is probably rated by the FAA.
Interior was all vinyl, two tiny wood strips. Meh plastic.
Auto CC didn't work well for some reason, it simply would not cool even setting it to 65 when it was 85 out.

Seats were ok comfort wise
Engine was ok

Overall junk for the price. It's probably a fine domestic on Germany where it competes with 25K hatchbacks. Garbage tier, definitely way more impressed with Mercedes in the last few years pound for pound outside of performance segment.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Had a friend considering buying a Tesla. Is this the case with everyone? No but some of these are apparently pretty common.

This just came out the other day:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Had a friend considering buying a Tesla. Is this the case with everyone? No but some of these are apparently pretty common.

This just came out the other day:

It's fine. They are simply not the wunderkart everyone was saying (lol CR 110% score). They are not flawless and maintenance free, everyone who owns a modern car knows electronic shit dies. It's no different than BMW or Mercedes. If you want the performance of a Tesla you have one option for brand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
tesla contracts at least some manufacturing out to some pretty cheap factories. i live in a relatively poor area of rural michigan, and i was making tesla interior hood liners for $10 an hour. we definitely had quality issues that i was told to ignore.

i used to pump out 400 of those things in an 8 hour shift. if you own a tesla model s, there's a decent chance i made your hoodliner.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Test drove a 2015 mk3 Audi TT with 3k miles on the clock, then test drove a 2015 Toyota GT86 with 11k miles. The TT is £23k and the GT86 is £18k.

Enjoyed the drive of the GT86 a lot more, the TT felt like it was on rails - basically I felt a lot closer to the road and like I was actually driving the GT86 compared to the TT.

The TT was the basic Sport trim, 2litre TFSI Quattro, limited extras. Obviously the interior was a lot nicer but the new virtual cockpit wasn't as snazzy/cool as I was expecting

Ended up putting a deposit on the gt86 and am collecting Friday

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Short of some special dealer special/incentive, how the fuck do you get a 0.9% finance rate? I have an 815 credit score and the best rate I could get on my new S5 was 4.25% for a 5 year loan.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Test drove a 2015 mk3 Audi TT with 3k miles on the clock, then test drove a 2015 Toyota GT86 with 11k miles. The TT is £23k and the GT86 is £18k.

Enjoyed the drive of the GT86 a lot more, the TT felt like it was on rails - basically I felt a lot closer to the road and like I was actually driving the GT86 compared to the TT.

The TT was the basic Sport trim, 2litre TFSI Quattro, limited extras. Obviously the interior was a lot nicer but the new virtual cockpit wasn't as snazzy/cool as I was expecting

Ended up putting a deposit on the gt86 and am collecting Friday

GT86 is a sweet car. If they ever offered a turbo with a targa top I would have to be chained down to stop myself.

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
GT86 is a sweet car. If they ever offered a turbo with a targa top I would have to be chained down to stop myself.

Yeah, it's a few seconds slower to 60 than the TT but for the amount of driving I do and distances it's fine

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Short of some special dealer special/incentive, how the fuck do you get a 0.9% finance rate? I have an 815 credit score and the best rate I could get on my new S5 was 4.25% for a 5 year loan.

USAA offers me that straight up on any car, even used. When I bought the X5 a while ago the dealer I bought it from used a credit broker and found me like a 1.3% rate on a 3 year old X5M.

Don't know what to tell you. You should be able to get 1.x% just signing up for penfed or some other credit union and going through them. You should look into refinancing.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
USAA offers me that straight up on any car, even used. When I bought the X5 a while ago the dealer I bought it from used a credit broker and found me like a 1.3% rate on a 3 year old X5M.

Don't know what to tell you. You should be able to get 1.x% just signing up for penfed or some other credit union and going through them. You should look into refinancing.

Plus CUs typically have a bit of an older school approach that's hard to get at banks right now.

If you know a branch/lending manager and call and have a good relationship and lending/investment history you will get shit like "free" car loans all the time. That's why I've kept my out of state CU for 15 years now. I've gotten several .49-1.49 loans over the last decade that way.