The Vehicle Purchasing Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
How are Volvo's and range rover, which would u recommended. The 60 or the evoque. Or should I be looking at a better crossover

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Evoke is an underpowered 4cyl. (If power is any concern of you) It's also designed in 2011 and had a very minor update in 2013 focusing mostly on convenience features and a new transmission. The design is quite long in the tooth now and overdue for an overhaul.

No idea about Volvos.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Range Rovers are some of the most unreliable cars out there. Not recommended unless you want to just lease one for the warranty period and throw the keys back when it's up. Volvo's are better, and my father was obsessed with them, but they also have their fair share of problems, and they are no longer tanks like they were back in the 80's-90's before Ford bought them out.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Range Rovers are some of the most unreliable cars out there. Not recommended unless you want to just lease one for the warranty period and throw the keys back when it's up. ...

Simply not true of the last 8 or so years. I have a 2013 LR4 (Discovery 4) that will hit 5 years old in a couple weeks. The thing has been absolutely trouble free, aside from a leaky water pump which had a TSB out on it and was replaced under warranty. I am a regular member of the forums and all report the same thing. The 5.0L V8 is a tank (shared in LR4, Range Rover Sport, and full size Range Rover).

I will absolutely agree there was a period in the 90s and 00s where they made some nightmare vehicles. But honestly, times have changed.

Also to note, my truck is not a parking lot queen. I regularly bash it in the desert here in 100+F summer temps. I've modded it with wheels / upsized heavy "E" load rated BFG KO2 tires, and about 80lbs in under chassis armor.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Simply not true of the last 8 or so years. I have a 2013 LR4 (Discovery 4) that will hit 5 years old in a couple weeks. The thing has been absolutely trouble free, aside from a leaky water pump which had a TSB out on it and was replaced under warranty. I am a regular member of the forums and all report the same thing. The 5.0L V8 is a tank (shared in LR4, Range Rover Sport, and full size Range Rover).

I will absolutely agree there was a period in the 90s and 00s where they made some nightmare vehicles. But honestly, times have changed.

Also to note, my truck is not a parking lot queen. I regularly bash it in the desert here in 100+F summer temps. I've modded it with wheels / upsized heavy "E" load rated BFG KO2 tires, and about 80lbs in under chassis armor.

I mean it’s great that you’ve had s positive personal experience with them, but it’s fairly well known that range rovers are unreliable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dougde...sn-t-care-about-jd-power-ratin-1575245254/amp

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From your own link:

The Article is ranking
customer satisfaction with dealership service departments.

There's a myriad of reasons people can be dissatisfied from a service perspective.

Also from your link:

the second-worst brand, Volvo

I know my own experience would be considered anecdotal. However, as I said.. the LR forum seems to report the same experiences as myself. Sure the older 4.4 V8 had its share of issues, but that's been replaced nearly a decade ago.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
From your own link:

The Article is ranking

There's a myriad of reasons people can be dissatisfied from a service perspective.

Also from your link:

I know my own experience would be considered anecdotal. However, as I said.. the LR forum seems to report the same experiences as myself. Sure the older 4.4 V8 had its share of issues, but that's been replaced nearly a decade ago.

And where did I claim Volvo's are reliable cars today, or have good customer service?

Here's one on actual reliability.. I mean there are literally dozens of sources that negatively rate Range Rover reliability. Again, it's great that you've had a great positive personal experience, but that is not the norm. That's not my opinion, that's just industry consensus.. And I'm not even saying that a notoriously unreliable brand is a reason not to buy a car you like-- just make sure to trade it in when the warranties out if you like the brand/model so much. The reality is that unlike say an '80's Oldsmobile, there are no true lemon brands left-- every manufacturer has a decent level of quality compared to back then. But you can't argue that Range Rover is anywhere near the top, or even mid range, of the pack in terms of reliability and customer service.

Are Range Rover and Land Rover Actually Reliable?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Source website there is absolutely unheard of to me.

The author is:
About Bryce Cleveland
Bryce founded Dust Runners Automotive Journal in 2014 as a way to write about the cars he found interesting. When he's not writing for Dust Runners he's writing for Power Automedia as a freelancer. He currently drives a 2015 Fiesta ST and absolutely loves it.

Absolutely loves his Ford Fiesta?

His Land Rover experience:

Bryce’s Land Rover:
Well, let me start this off by saying my 1999 Discovery II cost me $1,500 and hadn’t moved in over 3 years. The fellow who owned it before me took the fan off of it and put it on his other Land Rover because it broke on his other one. He never replaced the fan he took off, and let this Land Rover sit for years.
I purchased it, drove it around for a while until I realized it was eating coolant. I assumed it was head gaskets, so we rebuilt the entire top end of the engine. It seemed fine until a month later it was out of coolant again. Come to find out, the engine had a slipped cylinder sleeve and basically needed a new block. A slipped sleeve can happen if the engine overheats badly. I decided doing a block swap was to much work, and sold it a few weeks later to a Land Rover enthusiast for $2,200.

So my personal Land Rover wasn’t very reliable, but that was because the previous owner had let it overheat pretty badly.

He bought a used and destroyed engine and uses that as his own personal reliability experience??? Credibility much?

I know the point you are making. Historically, RR/LR has a bad rep. I won't argue that point at all. I'm simply saying 5 years heavily involved in the LR community seems to show the trend has gotten far better. That's all.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Source website there is absolutely unheard of to me.

The author is:

Absolutely loves his Ford Fiesta?

His Land Rover experience:

He bought a used and destroyed engine and uses that as his own personal reliability experience??? Credibility much?

I know the point you are making. Historically, RR/LR has a bad rep. I won't argue that point at all. I'm simply saying 5 years heavily involved in the LR community seems to show the trend has gotten far better. That's all.

Dude, he links the JD power dependability ratings right at the bottom. That’s why I linked it, it has a mix of personal experience along with official ratings.

Again, if you love the carbrand great— I’ve owned cars that aren’t in even the top ten of dependability simply because I favored looks or ride over dependability. I just lease them and turn them in after 3-4 years to eliminate dependability as a necessary selection criteria. If dependability was the most important factor, we’d all drive Toyotas. But for those that want to put 100,000+ miles on their car and keep it for many years, dependability is important, and Land Rovers simply aren’t a good choice. It’s not subjective, the consensus is there.

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Torn now. Rover negativity checks out. Didn't realize Volvo was now purchased by Ford. Trying to get a long term cross over and ditch my 16' f150

Siliconemelons

I love the Volvo XC60 and XC90...

Ended up with a Infiniti QX60 - bc price and avail XC90s at the time... but gosh, I really want one :)

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm thinking of getting a new Ford Ranger - they've re-released them. They seem to have decent load capacity, and they have nice looking four door options. Anyone have the skinny on the new Rangers?

Ford Ranger Reviews | Ford Ranger Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver

We have them all over the place here on a base in the Middle East. They look fantastic and are far bigger than the old Ranger. I think it's a smart move, as the F-150 is a behemoth now. I'd be all over one, especially considering they are working on a Ranger Raptor.

Spied! Ford Ranger Raptor Caught on U.S. Soil - Motor Trend

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

The interior looks nice, very simple yet modern. and yes f-150's are yuuge. Toyota tacomas, chevy Colorado and even friggen Nissan Frontiers have been getting market because most "normal" trucks now are huge and...expensive.... so the ranger "size" has been needed in the Ford lineup for a while now.

Siliconemelons

Torn now. Rover negativity checks out. Didn't realize Volvo was now purchased by Ford. Trying to get a long term cross over and ditch my 16' f150

XC90 should last you a long long time. New Volvos are nice, but pricey - and are not fords- as stated above a Chinese company bought them and basically said "Do what you want, just keep sending us money"

Stave

Potato del Grande
I need someone that knows a lot about trucks, particularly Fords. I want to buy a used F150 supercrew, either a 2004-2008 model, or a 2009 or newer. I prefer the 2009 and newer looks so that will be my first choice. I'll just be driving around a small town daily. I put less than 1000 highway miles on in a year on vehicles. I do want to tow a 24 foot camper about 5-10 times a year but only about 100-150 miles round trip. My price range is under 15k. Most of these in this price range have about 120-180k miles.

So what should I look for or avoid? Do these things go mega miles before major issues? Certain motors or models or years to avoid? Any parts that are notorious that I should see if they are replaced already? Which ones are the cheapest to have worked on? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.