The Witcher

spronk

FPS noob
This has got me wondering just what the fuck Amazon is doing. Netflix may be hit or miss, but almost every sing show amazon produces is hot garbage

they spent all their money on trannies and 3 old guys talking about cars

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
No one goes to Amazon first. That is part of the problem. There is an unspoken order of who will do what and who can make your product the best. Netflix doesn't just sit around until some intern goes "Let's make a Witcher show" and they write scripts and do Pre-Pro. The idea is usually pre-made and shopped around, or you have Netflix and Amazon searching for the talent to make them after licensees have already been purchased.
Yeah I guess I just don't understand how it works. Can they really not find any halfway decent licenses to purchase? It's not even that they suck dick at the execution of making the shows. The premise of them is pretty fucking awful too for the most part

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Different models.

Netflix lives and dies by one thing and one thing only. Have at least SOMETHING decent in EVERY demo. Then they can have a few other options that might not be as good. It's why they switch out so many shows or make what some people see as weird moves in what they create. They want to have shows for every single demographic.

Amazon on the other hand is still (in my opinion) stuck in the ratings game. They put out a show, see if it sticks and if not, dump it and go for something different. They missed their chance to take the big risks that Netflix did back in the Blockbuster days and it cost them so they play it a lot more carefully when it comes to branching out with original material.

Ok, I see. Amazon Prime is such a benefit that I don't even care about their video content(awful). I wonder if it's also an afterthought for them still in some ways. They want good rated shit but is there a real push now, or just another area to work on? It seems like a huge learning curve based on the horrible shit Netflix started with and how long it took to really break through.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Yeah I guess I just don't understand how it works. Can they really not find any halfway decent licenses to purchase? It's not even that they suck dick at the execution of making the shows. The premise of them is pretty fucking awful too for the most part
Well first off. Netflix is TINY when compared to Amazon. Their Development team is like...8 people? Maybe 10? As a writer, that is fucking AWESOME. That makes me want to come SPRINTING to them if I have any idea.

Amazon on the other hand is more like the traditional studio model. You have so many hoops and assistants and VP's to jump through and every single one of those people want some kind of say. So knowing that right off the bat helps because you know people will want to try for Netflix first (actually HBO first but that is a totally different animal).

When a script is in development with Netflix, they are fairly hands off. They will take lots of notes and remind you of shit, but they give a ton of freedom. Amazon...not so much. It isn't so bad as "Script By Committee", but it gets close.

I will say this, for anyone that played Witcher 3, they will probably have some gripes with the show. It is going to be based more on the books and less on the games.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Well first off. Netflix is TINY when compared to Amazon. Their Development team is like...8 people? Maybe 10? As a writer, that is fucking AWESOME. That makes me want to come SPRINTING to them if I have any idea.

Amazon on the other hand is more like the traditional studio model. You have so many hoops and assistants and VP's to jump through and every single one of those people want some kind of say. So knowing that right off the bat helps because you know people will want to try for Netflix first (actually HBO first but that is a totally different animal).

When a script is in development with Netflix, they are fairly hands off. They will take lots of notes and remind you of shit, but they give a ton of freedom. Amazon...not so much. It isn't so bad as "Script By Committee", but it gets close.

I will say this, for anyone that played Witcher 3, they will probably have some gripes with the show. It is going to be based more on the books and less on the games.
Cool, thanks for the background.

I actually don't expect they will follow the book plots all that much either, but who knows. I think if they use the Witcher universe, major characters, and some of the major plot points then they will be fine.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Can you expand on how HBO is different?
HBO is kind of an aberration. They are WAY more selective about their content and make no apologies about it. They treat their projects like feature films and will develop and produce them as such. HBO isn't concerned with being the biggest or having the largest market share. They care about making the ONE show everyone MUST see. The White Whale that they can ride until they hitch another. Demo isn't a big concern at HBO because they know they will never have the numbers of Netflix or even basic cable. They would rather have the IT show during a season run. It means they go for the bigger names and spend a lot more time in development, pre-pro and production than original content from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or even pure studio projects.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
For Witcher, pretty much every fight scene will have either magic, creatures that need CGI, or both.

Thats really just in the video games I think. Read book one and the two short story books and he barely cast any signs. Think he calmed his horse once or twice and started a fire but I honestly can't remember him doing much else besides slicing dudes the fuck up. I'm sure some sorceresess will show up from time to time and do some magic shit but it wouldn't have to be every episode.

Who knows though, i'm just trying to remain hopeful. The world is really cool and has alot of potential, it doesn't need to be too over the top.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Thats really just in the video games I think. Read book one and the two short story books and he barely cast any signs. Think he calmed his horse once or twice and started a fire but I honestly can't remember him doing much else besides slicing dudes the fuck up. I'm sure some sorceresess will show up from time to time and do some magic shit but it wouldn't have to be every episode.

Who knows though, i'm just trying to remain hopeful. The world is really cool and has alot of potential, it doesn't need to be too over the top.
I read one of the books, and yeah he isn't flinging it around too much. I would just think that it would be something they absolutely would want to play up in a TV show though.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Amazon may have a bunch of less than stellar programming, but "Man in the High Castle" makes up for all of it in my opinion. Currently one of my favorite shows.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
yPS2Szz_d.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
... For a second I thought they had cast Nicholas Cage there.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I dunno, I didnt see all that much CGI in GoT but maybe I wasn't looking for it.

For Witcher, pretty much every fight scene will have either magic, creatures that need CGI, or both.

All I know is Geralt better bang Yen on a unicorn or the show will be a failure

GOT isnt so much the flashy CG. But every Scene that takes place anywhere bigger than a room or has exterior views are CG. Just green screen stuff but that adds alot of overhead on 10 episodes.

I think Magic will be used very little. Geralt doesnt use the signs that much in the books. And the signs are much different. This show wont have him spraying flames all over. He used one per book, and only once. Action will be much more sword action. And a single sword.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
GOT isnt so much the flashy CG. But every Scene that takes place anywhere bigger than a room or has exterior views are CG. Just green screen stuff but that adds alot of overhead on 10 episodes.

I think Magic will be used very little. Geralt doesnt use the signs that much in the books. And the signs are much different. This show wont have him spraying flames all over. He used one per book, and only once. Action will be much more sword action. And a single sword.
The one book I read he almost always had a sorceress around him in each story, and most of his fighting was against monsters. I agree with you that they can do without too much CGI, but I think it also would take something away from the world.

I disagree on the swords. Two swords all the way

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I like Mads as much as the next guy, but I don't know that I could get past Geralt having a thick Danish accent after hundreds of hours of Doug Cockle.

• 1Like