The Witcher

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There's also the VERY weak explanation by Geralt that a golden dragon would only be the result of unique, accidental mutation. And in his experience mutations are always intentional....

In a world filled with shit like accidental mutations of god knows how many monsters. Even from the dead.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The gold dragon episode was retarded.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I enjoyed the show but it was by no mean a great show. I like the source material, and fantasy genre so I'm biased toward this type of stuff.

The time jumps were confusing at the start because nothing indicated that they were happening. At some point you realize that it's happening and can connect the dots and follow the events more easily. It was really badly done though.

I'm hoping for season 2 that Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri are together most of the time so we don't split point of view too much. It would give the show more focus which it's something it lacked in season 1.

I'm definitely in for season 2, but if it doesn't improve a little, I might be there for a season 3 unless it gets rave reviews.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't care.

That gold dragon episode was fun.

As far as episodes go more of them should have followed that formula. Or they should have spent more than one episode with that competing group of mercenaries together. The only thing that was dumb about it was how telegraphed the golden dragon was and that he waited about 20 years to use his flame breath. Everything else about that episode was pretty good. One of the better ones (though I am still only on episode 8)

Gator

Molten Core Raider
WhAT IsTHE WHITe FLAME??
I think they left it like that so it could be a mystery. I'm sure season two will dwell on it in more depth but if you want to know...

Basically, the emperor of Nilfgaard, Emperor Emhyr

I enjoyed the season. My wife enjoyed it even though she still doesn't fully understand what's going. Geralt was great, Yenn I have no problems with, Fringila (Sp?) was ehh. Triss didn't bother me as much I thought she would but she played a minor role. The time jumps confused the crap out of me at one point until I realized what was happening. Hopefully, they avoid them next season. The Golden Dragon scene didn't bother me.
Its funny because I got the hints the old man was saying about a golden dragon but I wasn't thinking it was him. Then he falls off the mountain and I was like WTF, why would they kill him off here? That was wasted potential. Fast forward to the end and I was like "OHHHH... Clever Girl"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Duny was cursed as a child. Geralt had actually met him before and helped him, which is presumably why he defended him when Calanthe ordered him killed. Duny had previously saved the life of Calanthe's dead husband King Roegner, who offered him the law of surprise as payment not knowing that Calanthe was pregnant with Pavetta. They basically condensed 2-4 episodes worth of content down into a single episode.

You can read up more about the Law of Surprise online if you want, but I recommend not reading anything more about Duny.

The part that I am confused about is the whole pregnancy thing. I thought law of surprise was getting anything that the person may have in the future? Why did it default to Geralt automatically being bound to Ciri in the womb when he asked for the law of surprise as payment?

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The show def needed to spend more time with Geralt doing Witcher things. Hunting gryphons and shit.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
The part that I am confused about is the whole pregnancy thing. I thought law of surprise was getting anything that the person may have in the future? Why did it default to Geralt automatically being bound to Ciri in the womb when he asked for the law of surprise as payment?

I believe the law of surprise is to receive the first thing the person sees when arriving home that they didnt know they had. It's implied that this would often be a child born during their absence but it seems like that would be rare unless we start thinking more like Odyssey kind of trips or war. Where men would be returning home after long absence. I also think the "don't have at the time" is what defaults its to children more than it would otherwise. If a man is going to give you something valuable he will have in the future well for any young adult that is oft going to be able to interpreted as his children as he begins/continues having them.

So in this particular situation, the law is invoked "he doesn't know of the child" he learns of the child a few seconds later, contract filled.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'm mostly really enjoying this. Never played it or read the books so I spend most of the time a little confused. Time jumps without "5 years later" text can Fuck Off.

Gerald is great. I'm confused about Yennifer, they write her as if she's supposed to be hot post hunchback but cast her differently.

Do they explain at some point wtf the law of surprise is? Cause the hedgehog knight episode sure did nothing to explain it.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Depends if you are prochoice or prolife =)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, the show was pretty bad. Like, I wanted to hate the fucking show and it reminds me of a shitty, Sci-Fi channel-esque production, but I couldn't stop fucking watching it. I realized that's mostly because of what a fucking awesome job Cavill does as Geralt. His "Fuck"s are delivered perfectly. If it wasn't for that perfect bit of casting, I'd have barely made it past episode 1.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I felt like it set up the second season+ pretty well. The stuff with Yen and Geralt was actually really fun and I dug the way they represented the short stories.

But yeah the stuff with Ciri was a bit of a slog, I don't think she's played particularly well at all. Triss was also retarded.

I would watch it again though, it wasn't bad.

I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy a cohesive version of this though, part of the charm for me was Geralt taking different contracts and being in different places. I really hope they keep that feeling going forward.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Best thing about this show was the tune "Toss a coin to your witcher..."

I can't stop hearing that line in my head.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Next you'll be realizing what ~O Valley of Plenty~ refers to

I'm sure you have a clever joke where the punchline is Yennefer's fronthole, but I'd say the most likely reference is 'literally nothing beyond a catchy tune because of how wildly different the lyrics are in other languages', with the second most likely possibility being Dol Blathanna, the valley where the short story in question takes place.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I would take the writers who made "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" and have them write stories about the Witcher and his cuck bard friend going around to different towns slaying monsters getting drunk and banging wenches in town, this would be the weekly formula with a slow developing story in the background with the destiny horseshit not so in your face.

Take this

iu

combine it with

iu

throw in some women who you would actually want to see naked and plowed

iu

=

giphy.gif

• 5Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 9 users