The Witcher

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah, agreed. But it'd be 100x better if they just did the obvious thing directors have done for decades -- text on the screen. "Five years ago".

Its like they've all decided they're gonna do it some artsy subtle way and it always fails. I can't think of a single split timeline movie or show where they refused to tell you "five year ago" and it actually worked.

--
Unrelated to the above.

Gold dragon episode was retarded in so many ways. I'm ready to let the dragon nonsense itself go as a filler monster of the week episode. But the relationship shit with Yennifer is so stupid. So far Geralt has given exactly one indication of even liking her - when he said she smells good (which is hysterical itself given the casting. They really should have changed that line. Its like if they raceswapped a black chick into the role and then kept a line about how fine and silky her hair was).

Now its all weepy "you've already lost her" "I'm so sad I cant have a baby" melodrama. I'd hope its the end of her screen time but from what I've read I guess she remains a main character?

images

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dynalisia

Lord Nagafen Raider
when he said she smells good (which is hysterical itself given the casting. They really should have changed that line. Its like if they raceswapped a black chick into the role and then kept a line about how fine and silky her hair was).

Completely lost here. All I can make of it is that since Anya Chalotra is of Indian descent, she smells bad per definition?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Completely lost here. All I can make of it is that since Anya Chalotra is of Indian descent, she smells bad per definition?
I suppose it depends on whether or not you're a fan of curry. They sweat that shit out, and it reeks.

Had a guy in my dorm at college named Ajit (Ah-jeet). You could smell him coming down the hall practically. The area around his door was practically a biohazard. His roommate even tried to get transferred. He ate the same food we did all year, and he still smelled horribly at the end of the year, so it wasn't just diet based.

Not saying all Indians smell that way like the other guy is (because obviously white people can stink too), but until you've experienced it... Of course, you could say the same about many other nationalities too, in regard to the food thing. Kimchi is equally as horrible, just to name one.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I suppose it depends on whether or not you're a fan of curry. They sweat that shit out, and it reeks.

Had a guy in my dorm at college named Ajit (Ah-jeet). You could smell him coming down the hall practically. The area around his door was practically a biohazard. His roommate even tried to get transferred. He ate the same food we did all year, and he still smelled horribly at the end of the year, so it wasn't just diet based.

Not saying all Indians smell that way like the other guy is (because obviously white people can stink too), but until you've experienced it... Of course, you could say the same about many other nationalities too, in regard to the food thing. Kimchi is equally as horrible, just to name one.

They don't smell because of curry, they smell because of poor personal hygiene.

• 1Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The diet stuff goes away once you haven't had that food for a month or two. But chances are he had shitloads of snacks from home which would cause him to keep on reeking.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
They don't smell because of curry, they smell because of poor personal hygiene.

I had an Indian employee at one point that stunk, and I eventually had to take him aside and say something.. Turns out it's not only a lack of deodorant, but they also rarely wash their clothes. The majority of the stink is literally baked in clothing BO.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
A couple of years back I remember taking a flight were we had this one bitch who reeked of curry and ass sweat brought some homemade concoction in a tupperware container when she opened it smelled like someone put a shit filled diaper in a microwave, the stench filled the plane like a goddamn bio-weapon. These people stink, surprised they didn't ground the flight and remove her.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I had an Indian employee at one point that stunk, and I eventually had to take him aside and say something.. Turns out it's not only a lack of deodorant, but they also rarely wash their clothes. The majority of the stink is literally baked in clothing BO.

That's exactly right. India is barely a second world country. A lot of India is straight up third world filth. They don't have the same hygiene and cleaning ideals we do. They stink because they don't wash... anything. It's not the food they eat.

Curry smells delicious when it's cooking. And it tastes amazing too. But when it sits and rots in your clothing because you only do laundry once a month and you don't bathe or use deodorant or just try to mask it with cheap cologne you create this disgusting amalgamation of pungent death. There's an old Indian dude that goes to my gym that you can smell from the second he walks in the door. The entire gym stinks because of him. A gym... where people sweat and stink on purpose and he can clear the place out.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I work with a couple of Indian people and they might be the most clean cut well dressed people in the office. They have some sweet ass rides too.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
OK- I tried to watch the first episode and gave up...

I'm not being a hater. I just couldn't engage in it at all. Maybe I'm too sensitive (probably not) but I was lost when he didn't save the baby deer (and he didn't even kill it on screen). Made it through 45 minutes and didn't have a clue what was going on or where it was going. And since I am not familiar with the Witcher's world, I was even more lost.

Kiki

Log Wizard
OK- I tried to watch the first episode and gave up...

I'm not being a hater. I just couldn't engage in it at all. Maybe I'm too sensitive (probably not) but I was lost when he didn't save the baby deer (and he didn't even kill it on screen). Made it through 45 minutes and didn't have a clue what was going on or where it was going. And since I am not familiar with the Witcher's world, I was even more lost.

There is a lot of time jumps between scenes and flashbacks that fill shit in later. Not the most eloquent of storytelling, but once it makes sense it's pretty good (if a little cheesey). I didn't play the games either. Reminds me of Xena or something but out of order.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Question about the warrior mage whose only power was resummoning his sword: after he wakes up from getting knocked unconscious, he sees one of his fellow mages propped up against a wall asking for help. He grabs a mace and bashes the guy's head and just keeps beating on him for a while. At first I thought he was just providing a mercy kill but they really focused on him beating the dude's corpse for a while. Is he turning on his allies or something? They left off with Yennefer contacting him and they have a long shot of him with a crazy look in his eyes but I'm honestly confused about how we're supposed to interpret that whole scene. I was actually expecting one of those mind control slugs to crawl out of his ear.

You could really really that they were skipping lots of content in order to connect all the storylines and timelines in 8 episodes. I just enjoyed Geralt's monster hunting but I'm glad there's an overarching story to keep things moving forward. Hopefully it's a bit more coherent in season 2.

Agreed with many of the comments here. The show is pretty disjointed, lots of goofy moments and low budget events, but I couldn't stop watching. I'm hoping the success of this season will increase their budget a bit because I'm definitely spoiled these days by shows like GoT, and the TV-quality CGI and magic effects were a bit jarring.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
honestly i'd be perfectly happy with more spartacus type shows.

the first season was the BEST season of television i have ever watched.

• 1Mic Drop
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Question about the warrior mage whose only power was resummoning his sword: after he wakes up from getting knocked unconscious, he sees one of his fellow mages propped up against a wall asking for help. He grabs a mace and bashes the guy's head and just keeps beating on him for a while. At first I thought he was just providing a mercy kill but they really focused on him beating the dude's corpse for a while. Is he turning on his allies or something? They left off with Yennefer contacting him and they have a long shot of him with a crazy look in his eyes but I'm honestly confused about how we're supposed to interpret that whole scene. I was actually expecting one of those mind control slugs to crawl out of his ear.

It's more shit writing from incompetent shmucks who badly butchered the adaptation of the Battle of Sodden Hill from the books. Any further explanation is a bit spoiler-heavy, so click at your own risk.

In the books Vilgefortz was in league with Nilfgaard the entire time, so if that's the case here then either Cahir knows and that fight was staged by both parties(which is fucking stupid because Vilgefortz could have easily died bashing his head against that rock) or Cahir doesn't know and Vilgefortz was taking it easy on him(which is fucking stupid because Vilgefortz could have easily died bashing his head against that rock). Vilgefortz is actually a pretty major antagonist later on and they made both him and Tissaia (who isnt even supposed to be at the battle) look like shmucks while they made Fringilla Negro look like a cross between Batman and Voldemort.

Not to mention the Battle of Sodden Hill is supposed to be a catastrophic defeat for Nilfgaard that results in the end of the war, but maybe Foltest showing up at the end is meant to show that the mages held the line long enough for the northern armies to make it to the battle and kick Nilfgaard's ass.

• 1WTF
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Got around to watching the last episode and I had to fast forward through every scene that didn't have Geralt in it. I gave them almost the entire season to make me give a shit about the other characters, but no luck.