The Witcher

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, agreed. But it'd be 100x better if they just did the obvious thing directors have done for decades -- text on the screen. "Five years ago".

Its like they've all decided they're gonna do it some artsy subtle way and it always fails. I can't think of a single split timeline movie or show where they refused to tell you "five year ago" and it actually worked.

--
Unrelated to the above.

Gold dragon episode was retarded in so many ways. I'm ready to let the dragon nonsense itself go as a filler monster of the week episode. But the relationship shit with Yennifer is so stupid. So far Geralt has given exactly one indication of even liking her - when he said she smells good (which is hysterical itself given the casting. They really should have changed that line. Its like if they raceswapped a black chick into the role and then kept a line about how fine and silky her hair was).

Now its all weepy "you've already lost her" "I'm so sad I cant have a baby" melodrama. I'd hope its the end of her screen time but from what I've read I guess she remains a main character?

Before you said Yennifer's actress is unattractive, now Indian women stink? For the first, are we watching the same show? For the second, ever date or hook up with an Indian woman who takes care of herself?

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
tormund-game-of-thrones.jpg

• 7Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Before you said Yennifer's actress is unattractive, now Indian women stink? For the first, are we watching the same show? For the second, ever date or hook up with an Indian woman who takes care of herself?
You'll also be shocked to hear that many black women have curly hair

WTF is it 2008 in here?

Araxen

Watched the season in two days and I like it a lot. I haven't played the games or read the books, so I don't have to worry about book reader syndrome many of your are suffering from.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I thought Cavill did a great job in his role, but I thought the show as a whole was extremely disjointed. It probably took me half the season to even realize what was going on with all the jumps in time.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
I thought Cavill did a great job in his role, but I thought the show as a whole was extremely disjointed. It probably took me half the season to even realize what was going on with all the jumps in time.
Maybe I was lucky to notice these things, but I realized there were at least two timelines approximately 30-40 years apart in the first episode. Queen Calanthe tells Ciri how she won her first battle when she was as young as her. Then the very next scene someone was telling Geralt that the young queen Calanthe just won her first battle. I think in the same episode, after Stregobor describes how he is capturing girls for his experiments in his tower, one of the next scenes had Mousesack telling Ciri that years ago they would have locked girls like her up in a tower.

I still agree that it's silly they didn't have a year pop up each time they bounced back and forth. I generally just knew that Witcher and Yennefer = past and Ciri = present, but it was still kind of murky keeping track of how many years were passing in Geralt / Yennefer's timelines. They'd throw in clues every once in a while but it seemed kind of silly to not state it explicitly. It's like they were trying to make the viewer feel proud to decipher the timeline, when it just felt like work to keep it sorted. This isn't Inception where part of the experience is puzzling out what's happening!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It wasn't that there were t clues that it was two separate timelines, it's that it was disjointed. Those scenes you are talking about didn't even feel natural. They sounded like inorganic exposition.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh man if that celebrity gossip site is correct, that means Tormund gets like 5 minutes of showtime and his character never reappears. What a waste. Would be better to have him playing Triss imo. Also means Season 2 is still random short stories, imo they should really start the main plot arc from Blood of Elves with season 2.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Every super hero movie ever essentially

Most MCU movies are well crafted movies on a technical level. This is a mess of shitty editing, narrative, casting, direction, and a host of other problems. I think it gets away with a lot of it because it's such an incomprehensible mess that people can't quite get a grip on it, and so can't focus on it enough to see its many problems.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Most MCU movies are well crafted movies on a technical level. This is a mess of shitty editing, narrative, casting, direction, and a host of other problems. I think it gets away with a lot of it because it's such an incomprehensible mess that people can't quite get a grip on it, and so can't focus on it enough to see its many problems.
Ralph_No.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Just say "DC is shit and people appreciate the attempt to be better"

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Replayed Witcher 3 again after watching this show like so many other people and there are some cool little nuggets of crossover between the two, though they don't match up exactly.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Really liked it. I thought the
timeline shifts was done nicely. I felt involved in it trying to piece it together. I can understand it wouldnt be to everyones liking. The only time i was like wtf wait up, was with Ciri's mother. The 2 of them looked
identical to me.

Cant wait for season 2.