The Witcher

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
1580010229545.jpg

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just finished this. Much gooderer, want more. Probably helps that I never played the games, so I have no idea how they did or didn't butcher the characters.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just finished this. Much gooderer, want more. Probably helps that I never played the games, so I have no idea how they did or didn't butcher the characters.

Playing the games doesn't do anything about bad acting and brings TV show's writing down so much you'd have to live in the Mariana trench to be able to spot it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm rewatching this during my workouts and it's a little better for me the second time through except for a few bits.

The story seems thinner the second time but it's fantasy so whatever. This, however, really bothered me, there is scene in episode 8? in which the wizards are traveling on a boat to get to wherever. It's in the fog and after they get off the boat they start walking through a forest. Why the fuck would they do any of that, just teleport.

Come to think of it I haven't seen that in a fantasy novel yet. Have all the wizards be fat fucks because no walking.

Kiki

Log Wizard
There is the whole, something must die to use magic balance, but then they never really touch on it besides Yennifer burning her hands.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm rewatching this during my workouts and it's a little better for me the second time through except for a few bits.

The story seems thinner the second time but it's fantasy so whatever. This, however, really bothered me, there is scene in episode 8? in which the wizards are traveling on a boat to get to wherever. It's in the fog and after they get off the boat they start walking through a forest. Why the fuck would they do any of that, just teleport.

Come to think of it I haven't seen that in a fantasy novel yet. Have all the wizards be fat fucks because no walking.

Portals can be tracked too. Fringilla would know they were coming when 30 mages show up in the same place.

Cybsled

There is the whole, something must die to use magic balance, but then they never really touch on it besides Yennifer burning her hands.

I didn't really see it as something must die, but the idea that something needs to provide the energy because otherwise it would just consume you eventually.

Yen absorbing the lightning and then the fire struck me as a way to circumvent that...she is basically just storing the energy and then is able to release it later

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Magic is done terribly in this show. It honestly makes no sense. The last episode is essentially 1 mage vs a tribunal of mages, except the one mage has a secret box!!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The game magic is mysterious too and I guess there can be a quality to that, but it's hard to accept some of the plot problems random magic creates.

Some of it should be unknown, but there should be a couple hard and fast "rules" that form some kind kind of framework for the viewer/reader/player.

It's not hard. The chaos magic aspect is cool, but should be expanded upon so it's better understood, which just makes the premise of its use more interesting.

They could also do simple shit like a sorcerer has limited power in a holy place or in the presence of children or something. Other things can be unknown but it would just be nice to understand how far reaching magic in that universe is. They elude to it being pretty vast, curses turning people into abominations, control of the elements, mind control on mass levels, teleportation, the ability to move objects violently from a distance including snapping a human neck instantly from any angle or position, forcefields that can essentially function as a entire defense force to the point it literally stalled a FUCKING SEIGE via one man, unlimited communication over vast distances, shapeshifting, the ability to read someone's mind, locating people anywhere in the world with almost zero effort, permanently changing your appearance, healing, disputing nature (animals etc), TURNING INTO A FUCKING DRAGON (or vice versa but cmon) turning into someone else, superior physical ability/super reflexes.......I mean....fuck I could still go on.

All of this is awesome, great. But the show kind of just forgets about the weight behind some of this shit and it begins to function as plot solving lazy writing, simply there because it has to be, or it solves some dilemma etc. Its kind of like the Jedi force run in episode one. When you first see it your like oh shit that's tight! Then you NEVER SEE IT AGAIN and start to realize how fucking dumb it is because they could of escaped countless encounters after that if they would just have used it again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

The game magic is mysterious too and I guess there can be a quality to that, but it's hard to accept some of the plot problems random magic creates.

Some of it should be unknown, but there should be a couple hard and fast "rules" that form some kind kind of framework for the viewer/reader/player.

It's not hard. The chaos magic aspect is cool, but should be expanded upon so it's better understood, which just makes the premise of its use more interesting.

They could also do simple shit like a sorcerer has limited power in a holy place or in the presence of children or something. Other things can be unknown but it would just be nice to understand how far reaching magic in that universe is. They elude to it being pretty vast, curses turning people into abominations, control of the elements, mind control on mass levels, teleportation, the ability to move objects violently from a distance including snapping a human neck instantly from any angle or position, forcefields that can essentially function as a entire defense force to the point it literally stalled a FUCKING SEIGE via one man, unlimited communication over vast distances, shapeshifting, the ability to read someone's mind, locating people anywhere in the world with almost zero effort, permanently changing your appearance, healing, disputing nature (animals etc), TURNING INTO A FUCKING DRAGON (or vice versa but cmon) turning into someone else, superior physical ability/super reflexes.......I mean....fuck I could still go on.

All of this is awesome, great. But the show kind of just forgets about the weight behind some of this shit and it begins to function as plot solving lazy writing, simply there because it has to be, or it solves some dilemma etc. Its kind of like the Jedi force run in episode one. When you first see it your like oh shit that's tight! Then you NEVER SEE IT AGAIN and start to realize how fucking dumb it is because they could of escaped countless encounters after that if they would just have used it again.

Except at least in the game they made mages a very exclusive sect... like witchers. In the show there were... for some reason... throwaway mages who could conjure a massive fireball for Nilfgaard... out of nowhere. Even though the show made a very big deal about the fact that mage school selection was very strict, and most of the students in that selective school turn into fucking eels to be thrown into a magical pool because they can't hack it.

Seriously... the whole Fringilla bullshit was terrible. Worst character, worst writing, for the worst moments of the show.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean the writers are awful and Fringilla is this retarded combination of Batman and Voldemort, but the Sodden Hill story is also something that should have been like half a goddamn season instead of being so rushed. It's a MAJOR event in the continuity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Yea well... wait until people find out the truth about the fucking hedgehog...

The actual source material is pretty nonsensical, but in a fantastic sort of way. But the show runners have rushed literally everything. To the point that the reveals aren't going to mean much at all.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Battle of Sodden Hill was some crazy carnage rained down on the battlefield. Triss describes it a bit in the books and how she got majorly fucked up. It is a shame they couldn't do it justice, because of budget I guess.

Later major battle is pretty nuts too, but no mages. Elves and dwarves go to work though.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Haven't caught up on thread bc I am only on start of ep3 or 4...

But... what the flying donkey nuts is going on with the crippled magic girl story... they just turned all the other girls into magic electric eels..because...they...

What...

And she can...make? Portals if she makes out with gay black dudes?

The rest seems nice fun interesting high fantasy tropes... heck even the magic school the kid not doing good is really the best your a blizzard harry- trope but... it's like...that story has NO explanations bc magic mystery and adds convoluted random on top just for fun, now sweep your classmates into the pool you hunched over demigod!

Cybsled

They turned them into eels because they basically act as batteries for the mages who passed the test and ascended.

Portals is just a mage ability. She didn't understand how to control it at first.

• 1Like