The Witcher

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I never read the books and any movie

sometimes not going off the source is fine, GoT did a lot of stupid shit but there was certain changes that were for the better in earlier seasons, obviously the books went down hill and the writers were idiots the last 3 season trying to make their own shit up.

This is flowing well and able to take out alot of extra filler it feels like, I didnt read the books so whatever
Here's the rub, I think. People were expecting the books to be adapted. I mean, you can watch the behind the scenes where Lauren Hisserech whatever says this season is based on "Blood of Elves". This season, though, is only VERY VERY roughly based on "Blood of Elves": Some of the same things happen in the Season that happen in the book but at different times in different ways, characters are in different places, etc. If you say "based on", I would expect 60-75% book adapted with up to at max 25% new stuff, 40% if I am giving them a huge benefit of the doubt. If you count the stuff from other books, its more like 30/70 or 20/80, with all of that stuff being out of order.

It's bait and switch, which would have brought a huge negative reaction if they had been upfront with it. The Honest Trailers version is " Super loosely based on Blood of Elves but we kind of go our own direction with it to set up a more TV friendly story for the later books". If you know what's coming, there aren't a lot of scenes for the "family" dynamic left. I think they want to keep that more front and center as the plot of the books progress, which means not staying true to the books at all.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well from the latest interview from the people making the Halo series there might be some nerd heads exploding lol

Last edited:
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well from the latest interview from the people making the Halo series there might be some nerd heads exploding lol

Basically Hollywood is going to redefine the Halo world in the most woke way possible.

Sorry I don’t see this ending any differently.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
nerds gonna nerd

I'm at the point where I don't want the opinion of anyone who has read the books a TV show I'm watching is based on even if I've read them myself. Is the show good or not? I don't give a fuck about the books.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, it has a 3.5 star rating which is saying something on this board. You could just read the last few pages and notice that while season 1 has a large problem with time jumping it is fairly widely accepted that Season 2 more than made up for it.

Just watch the show if you like fantasy stuff. It is with out a doubt better than Wheel of Woman power.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'm at the point where I don't want the opinion of anyone who has read the books a TV show I'm watching is based on even if I've read them myself. Is the show good or not? I don't give a fuck about the books.
The source material purist problem certainly exacerbates it, but there's a lot of people out there who are miserable cunts who just can't enjoy anything in life. This board has a higher than normal concentration of them.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finished the Season. I'm sad it's over. I"m glad I never read the book because I'm sure it would have soured me on the show.

Hopefully The Last Kingdom final season comes out soon.

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm a jaded old fuck that hates everything, but I enjoyed this.

It's a small breath of fresh air in the sea of sewage which has become entertainment.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
Big difference between this and all the girl power garbage Hollywood has been shitting out recently, at least to me (only 3 episodes in), is Ciri taking her lumps and not arriving as a Mary Sue "anything men can do I can do better without trying" type. She actually requires training and fails at first.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I haven't seen much purist shitting on Season 2 here at all. Is it canon? Not really but it's a damn good show. They care about providing entertainment to the existing fanbase and whoever else wants to watch it. That's how it should be but rarely is. This show is so much better than WoT in every way. Some sensitive pussies in here.

• 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
S2 Episode 1 was epic , on episode 2 now seems just as good ….I hope it doesn’t go south at some point but it feels like they killed it this season already. *note* played all 3 Witcher games, did not read books.

only thing that felt off was actor playing Vesimir … not liking him yet

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
One question for others who have rad the books , are they portraying Geralt as having more emotional depth and a “heart” so to speak , I never got that feeling in the games but it’s hard to equalize cause we r playing him…

Any thoughts out there ?

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
One question for others who have rad the books , are they portraying Geralt as having more emotional depth and a “heart” so to speak , I never got that feeling in the games but it’s hard to equalize cause we r playing him…

Any thoughts out there ?
I don't think so; Geralt is more aloof and hard but also willing to go out on a limb to save people, per my recollection. He can be by turns hard and soft with folks depending on his estimation of their deservedness. IIRC in both the show and the books, there are plenty of times Geralt will leave terrible people to their fate.
In the Grain of Truth episode, Nivellen was not one of them. There was no mention of leaving him to kill himself after Nivellen saved Geralt's life in the story, which was from "The Last Wish"
In the show, you have to give more overt insight into that in a more demonstrative way, perhaps. I think Cavill's Geralt is different in many ways but accurate in overall spirit; At least how I read it, I mean, the show tracks with the books.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Season was good and well done, but I think Season 1 had more "moments" and this was just kind of steady as she goes decent. Not sure how they raise the stakes in Season 3 besides another war. Definitely looking forward to it one way or another.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Season was good and well done, but I think Season 1 had more "moments" and this was just kind of steady as she goes decent. Not sure how they raise the stakes in Season 3 besides another war. Definitely looking forward to it one way or another.
War Shockwave GIF

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I enjoyed it. My wife commented that there was much less sex/nudity in this season.

They draw you in with the sexy time in season 1 and then every main character becomes a prude with nothing but head shots, unless it's a man then you get chest/ass shots.

They couldn't put more clothes on Triss if they tried, very much like the source material.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Excellent season. Only real complaint was I wanted more episodes which says it all. One thing I miss about S1 is the rando episodes. I understand why they stayed tight with the content but 10 episodes with two ‘Geralts Adventures!’ episodes a season would be the cherry on top. Yea, I’m a demanding bastard but it’s the best fantasy/sci-fi show by a huge margin. Even with grotesque Fringilla

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity