The Witcher

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm using a fullsize speaker 5.1 setup, proper home theater receiver and all that jazz. It'd be easy to adjust if this came as an .MKV but with a streaming source, there's only so much you can do. Part of the issue is that filter they put over Geralt's voice and he's not very expressive vocally to begin with. The non-Witcher characters are easier to understand.

It is an issue with the show. But it's an issue with every single show everywhere. I can't believe no one has come up with a way to deaden music and enhance dialog yet on the consumer hardware level.

If your TV/amp has a Dynamic Range compression setting, turning this on can help reduce the issue with quiet dialog and loud action.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Dynamic Range helps a little on my TV, its noticeable, but doesnt eliminate the problem.

I just watch 100% of everything with subtitles on. Problem solved.

Its not a technology issue. Its a sound mixing issue. There are people in hollywood who think really loud music and sound effects with mumbled dialog is a good stylistic choice.

They're the same people who imagine consumers go to the movies for the sound, instead of realizing the fucking terrible sound in movie theaters is one of the reasons many of us prefer to watch movies at home now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You are, to some extent, at the mercy of the sound mix, but if you have a 5.1 or better system, all dialogue should be coming from center channel, so you can just boost that.
I'm using a fullsize speaker 5.1 setup, proper home theater receiver and all that jazz. It'd be easy to adjust if this came as an .MKV but with a streaming source, there's only so much you can do. Part of the issue is that filter they put over Geralt's voice and he's not very expressive vocally to begin with. The non-Witcher characters are easier to understand.

If your TV/amp has a Dynamic Range compression setting, turning this on can help reduce the issue with quiet dialog and loud action.

I will check for both of these when I get home. I know I have looked for a setting on my TV in the past and couldn't find it. I have an external speaker that is supposed to mimic surround sound, so I'll see if it's something where I can boost just one channel.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Final verdict, I would give it a 10/10 on production. 6/10 on story.
In the end, its fun to watch, and look at. but, I don't really give a shit about any of the characters really. the writing is way too inconsistent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Page is aids. But is HC leaving witcher s03 ??? Noooooo.

I don’t believe that shit. Another article says he’s on board for another 7 seasons as long as the author approves the writing. This is his baby and the writing is better than DCEU( not a high bar to pass). Cavill isn’t stupid and he seems to be very attached to the source product

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Araxen

They should just cancel the show if Cavill isn't back.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

It’s clickbait - all he mentioned is he is onboard so long as the show respects the source material

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's pretty standard when you sign a contract for a TV series that you commit to 7 years if the show lasts that long. I saw an interview with Kevin Costner where he talked about how it was a big decision for him to be on "Yellowstone" because he's a movie star and not used to being tied down to one thing for that long.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So I got around to watching this but some stuff is really weird and jarring. Everytime they just throw in a random black elf it just breaks immersion, and is just weird. Then somehow in a tavern they thrown in a Jamaican bitch, I didn't know Jamacia existed in the witcher.

Never read the books to played the games but I have seen tons of people praising the games over the years and the women were all hot and have given rise to tons and tons of cosplay and shit but it still feels like they made so many of these women ugly as possible.

I still think I would have been more interested in a bard witcher adventure series. Just going town to town killing beast and fucking hoes. I will agree the season felt better than the first.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Are jaskier's terrible songs part of the joke? I remember "toss a coin to your witcher" being pretty good. All of them this year were so bad i can't even come up with a suitable cliche.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Jasker really annoyed me in season 1 but I found that I wanted more of him in 2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Watching season 2 finally.

Episode 1 was straight outta a Witcher 3 quest with the cursed pig guy, dead villagers, the Bruxa, and a pyrrhic victory ending. Production is excellent and shows how Witcher 3 really nailed the tone of the books. 👍

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah episode 1 was absolutely fantastic, its really a bummer the rest of the season wasn't quite as good. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't amazing. I sorta had to force myself to finish the season, not because I hated it but not a lot was really happening for a while.

It really would be a better show if they just focused on side quests like episode 1 for most of the season and just had 5 minutes each episode dedicated to Wild Hunt / Ciri arc. I do not honestly give a single shit about the council of ugly mages who think they are not ugly.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Shmoopy

Just finished. Episode 1 and 8 were pretty strong. Rest was extremely uneven. They have some bad writers and directors in the mix. Some of the VFX were laughable.

Nothing against Yenefer and Triss actresses but they are badly cast. Some other big-time miscasts as well.

Still watchable because Witcher. But they really need to cast off some weakest links in writing and VFX crew.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just finished. Episode 1 and 8 were pretty strong. Rest was extremely uneven. They have some bad writers and directors in the mix. Some of the VFX were laughable.

Nothing against Yenefer and Triss actresses but they are badly cast. Some other big-time miscasts as well.

Still watchable because Witcher. But they really need to cast off some weakest links in writing and VFX crew.
Those two were chosen clearly to fill a diversity quota of something non white. Its pathetic.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Dynamic Range helps a little on my TV, its noticeable, but doesnt eliminate the problem.

I just watch 100% of everything with subtitles on. Problem solved.

Its not a technology issue. Its a sound mixing issue. There are people in hollywood who think really loud music and sound effects with mumbled dialog is a good stylistic choice.

They're the same people who imagine consumers go to the movies for the sound, instead of realizing the fucking terrible sound in movie theaters is one of the reasons many of us prefer to watch movies at home now.

bladerunner 2049 was berserk in theater

• 1Solidarity