The Witcher

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
You don't kill the fucking main character of the whole series when you lose an actor. There are 7 books + more stories; why would you kill the star (Geralt) when you have to replace the actor? Don't get me wrong, I love Henry Cavill, he's the only watchable thing on the show but you didn't pay for the rights to The Cavill, no matter how woke you are, the story is Geralt's and his relationship with Ciri and Yennifer and them becoming a family.
That's why I said continue the story with a different name attached. Take iron man for example, it was dumb as shit swapping a new actor in for Rhodes and then calling him the same, they could have named him John Smith and just used the exact same plot/story arcs.

Might be just a personal irritation of mine, but its always jarring. Bonus points in Harry Potter when they swapped one of Malfoys cronies with a black guy cause the white guy got arrested

Cybsled

It's a fantasy show, so they could use magic or some shit to change him I guess.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's a fantasy show, so they could use magic or some shit to change him I guess.
1864686A-2CEF-4A8E-B479-C3222BCF9C7F.gif

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
That's why I said continue the story with a different name attached. Take iron man for example, it was dumb as shit swapping a new actor in for Rhodes and then calling him the same, they could have named him John Smith and just used the exact same plot/story arcs.

Might be just a personal irritation of mine, but its always jarring. Bonus points in Harry Potter when they swapped one of Malfoys cronies with a black guy cause the white guy got arrested
Like when that one guy couldn't be James Bond anymore, so they just changed the name of the spy? Jimmy Bundy? I appreciate your preference and understand what you are going for but that's not the way this IP in particular (or most IPs, really) works. Geralt of Rivia is the star of the books and the games: There are other witchers, sure, but no one wants to hear stories about *them*, really. They don't have 7+ books and 3+ games about them.

• 1Worf

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Don't think re-casting Rhodes or Banner (and most of Thor's posse and presumably soon Gen. Ross) ever slowed the MCU. Batman's been re-cast ... 6-7 times in the last 20 years? They'll be fine.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Remember how badly this went with Spartacus? No one accepted his replacement. Not his or the shows fault, but Whitfield was perfect in that role also.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Remember how badly this went with Spartacus? No one accepted his replacement. Not his or the shows fault, but Whitfield was perfect in that role also.
We'll Whitfield died so circumstances are a bit different here and the lesser Hemsworth isn't appealing to me as a replacement seeing what he's done before. If season 3 is worse than 2 with Cavill then it won't matter much either way.

I find myself dropping shows quickly now once the plot and quality drop to say a Dexter season 5. Only reason most people are probably gonna stick around for season 3 is because of Cavill.

• 3Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Spartacus still worked after whitefields death, because the whole thing was glorious.
Witcher was crap from the get go and Cavill and his scenes made it somewhat ok. 2 very different bars of quality.

• 3Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Can't imagine any way to not make that end up retarded.

"Geralt, you look different."
"Yes, I underwent the Sorceresses' transformation to become smaller, uglier, and generally less likeable."

The only instance I can think of where a lead swap didn't fail miserably is Spartacus and it barely worked that case - and that was fueled by the actor's death. That show was great for a hundred additional reasons in addition to Whitfield, not just because of him. Changing the lead actor in a show that is completely carried by that lead actor is never going to work.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Spartacus still worked after whitefields death, because the whole thing was glorious.
Witcher was crap from the get go and Cavill and his scenes made it somewhat ok. 2 very different bars of quality.

The spinoff worked. Hell it was better than the original in every aspect. I personally didn't finish Spartacus the original. Just wasn't good after his death IMO.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Switching to Hemsworth is not even about the look and more about personality. There is no way he can step into Cavills shoes. Cavill defined that role, anyone else would look like a poor imitation and will not be accepted. Everything after Season 3 is DOA.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena was great. S3 and onward was good, but not fantastic. That just shows that other good supporting actors and good story can buoy the loss of a main actor/character if needed

But Spartacus was still a historical drama (even if it played fast and loose with history). They just had to go along and say “this is Spartacus all along”. It’s not ideal, but you don’t have many options

Doctor Who or Star Trek or whatever can use fantastical elements to explain actor changes and make it fit the story. I think they’re going to go this route.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The bottom line is they are flat out stating Cavill would be in S4 if the writers / direction weren't the way they are. Tells you all you need to know.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The bottom line is they are flat out stating Cavill would be in S4 if the writers / direction weren't the way they are. Tells you all you need to know.

Not sure who you're referring to as "they," but nobody official has "flat out" said that. Even though it is the most likely case

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Switching to Hemsworth is not even about the look and more about personality. There is no way he can step into Cavills shoes. Cavill defined that role, anyone else would look like a poor imitation and will not be accepted. Everything after Season 3 is DOA.

20221107-ctGfY4PA-p3@2x.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Take iron man for example, it was dumb as shit swapping a new actor in for Rhodes and then calling him the same, they could have named him John Smith and just used the exact same plot/story arcs.

What? They changed the actor for rhodes?

View attachment 442414

Frosk is calling him James Franco now.

View attachment 442415

Yeah because adult women clearly cannot make decisions for themselves. Just go ahead and out yourself as a misogynist frosk.

• 1Like