The Witcher

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
3.70 star(s) Rating: 3.70/5 23 Votes
Title: The Witcher

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2020-12-31

Overview: The witcher Geralt, a mutated monster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts. Based on Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher Saga.

• 6Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 6 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Probably going to be bad. I really hope not it isn't, but I think it will be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I am choosing to be fucking pumped. Netflix is more hit than miss so I will try and stay optimistic. This could be there game of thrones if they play there cards right. Not quite the same budget, but cgi could be minimal in this world. Casting should say alot about how this will play out. Can't imagine who gets casted for Geralt, but I better see some sweet Triss and Yen boobage.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Why do you think CGI would be limited? Seems like there would be much more than say GoT

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Great source material, great streaming service. I agree, I think at worst we get Game of Thrones Lite, Which isnt a bad thing.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Why do you think CGI would be limited? Seems like there would be much more than say GoT

No need for massive dragons, or large battles or cities.

Lots of the monsters could be practical. GOT uses CGI or Green Screen for a ton of their scenes. I think hes saying the smaller settings for Witcher could save money.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
We'll see. Personally I find Witcher pretty trite fantasy with very few interesting characters.

• 1Salty

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
We'll see. Personally I find Witcher pretty trite fantasy with very few interesting characters.
Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad.

The world lore is fantastic even if the characters are only so-so.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I hope there is some single episode "side quest" type stories. I am not familiar with the books but those were great in the games. I would do the bloody baron story as ep 1 or 2 to set the tone.

• 1Solidarity

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hope they cast Kate Beckinsale as Yen, but that may be a pipe dream

• 2Solidarity

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider

Basically what Gunnar said. They wouldn't need more than say Stranger Things monster wise. If this is an updated Hercules with Geralt traveling around taking contracts with an over arching political backdrop I will be a happy camper. Dandelion can be the sidekick like that bitch iolaus was.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Basically what Gunnar said. They wouldn't need more than say Stranger Things monster wise. If this is an updated Hercules with Geralt traveling around taking contracts with an over arching political backdrop I will be a happy camper. Dandelion can be the sidekick like that bitch iolaus was.
I dunno, I didnt see all that much CGI in GoT but maybe I wasn't looking for it.

For Witcher, pretty much every fight scene will have either magic, creatures that need CGI, or both.

All I know is Geralt better bang Yen on a unicorn or the show will be a failure

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
This has got me wondering just what the fuck Amazon is doing. Netflix may be hit or miss, but almost every sing show amazon produces is hot garbage

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
This has got me wondering just what the fuck Amazon is doing. Netflix may be hit or miss, but almost every sing show amazon produces is hot garbage
No one goes to Amazon first. That is part of the problem. There is an unspoken order of who will do what and who can make your product the best. Netflix doesn't just sit around until some intern goes "Let's make a Witcher show" and they write scripts and do Pre-Pro. The idea is usually pre-made and shopped around, or you have Netflix and Amazon searching for the talent to make them after licensees have already been purchased.

• 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
No one goes to Amazon first. That is part of the problem. There is an unspoken order of who will do what and who can make your product the best. Netflix doesn't just sit around until some intern goes "Let's make a Witcher show" and they write scripts and do Pre-Pro. The idea is usually pre-made and shopped around, or you have Netflix and Amazon searching for the talent to make them after licensees have already been purchased.

How soon do you think it will take for Amazon to get to the Netflix level? They have shitloads of money and have pretty much stomped anyone in their way no matter the market. I know Netflix has assloads of money too but I don't see why both can't succeed wildly. What are your thoughts being closer to the action?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
How soon do you think it will take for Amazon to get to the Netflix level? They have shitloads of money and have pretty much stomped anyone in their way no matter the market. I know Netflix has assloads of money too but I don't see why both can't succeed wildly. What are your thoughts being closer to the action?
Different models.

Netflix lives and dies by one thing and one thing only. Have at least SOMETHING decent in EVERY demo. Then they can have a few other options that might not be as good. It's why they switch out so many shows or make what some people see as weird moves in what they create. They want to have shows for every single demographic.

Amazon on the other hand is still (in my opinion) stuck in the ratings game. They put out a show, see if it sticks and if not, dump it and go for something different. They missed their chance to take the big risks that Netflix did back in the Blockbuster days and it cost them so they play it a lot more carefully when it comes to branching out with original material.

• 2Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database