The Witcher

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
This is just so much better than Wheel of Time.

Someone pointed it out yesterday, but check out the lighting in this whenever they are in a closed set (Castle, Mages ect) vs the lighting in wheel of time. Its something you don't notice until you actually look for it. But it is fucking astounding how flat and artificial the lighting in wheel of time is vs how 'real' if feels here.

You can see how much better it makes the sets and props feel too, where a lot of the uncanny imperfections from using cheaper than genuine materials get covered up by the lighting and decent camera work.

Wheel of time looks like a high school play half the time, its ridiculous.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Only a few episodes in on season 2 and so much better than season 1. Definitely needed this show right now.

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
After watching season 2 rewatching season 1 is a different experience from watching it the first time. Very enjoyable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
My only complaint about season 1 really was the muddled time jumps through the season. Season 3 should be fun with Ciri, Yenn, and Geralt finally all together.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I am kind of shocked to here so many people so unabashedly enjoyed it. Just got done watching it and maybe I need time to digest it, I guess but maybe all I am just shocked by how much they changed from the book. Forget the obvious things, like Djstrikas casting (he's a underwear model?), it really was super loosely based on Blood of Elves, barely. It's like Witcher fan fiction its so loosely based on the book.
-whole plotline brought in from later books and given to different characters (Ciri touching Fire from a Time of Contempt),
-all of the blackwashing of characters (every sorceress other than Tissania and Francesca is POC? Phillipa, Triss, Nenneke, Frigilla),
-how much of the show is just made the fuck up for TV (all the monolith/Deathless Mother BS), Killing Eskel by turning him into a Leshy, having Ciri kill a bunch of witchers, having her blood be the key to making more witchers and Vesemir going to use this new potions to put Ciri through the Trials of the Grasses.
-all of the GRRRL PWR moments (Fringilla and Francesca heart "partners"), Fringilla killing the generals,
-how much time was spent on the elves, which was a theme of the books but its almost a third of season 2,
-as well how much they got right and still screwed up "A Grain of Truth".

None of the obviously political stuff was too overbearing, though. It's pretty good, because I like the characters but forget knowing what's going to happen in a season based upon having the books.

Last edited:
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Super well made and ultimately enjoyable, but a complete abomination if you're a fan of the books and the original story.

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I am kind of shocked to here so many people so unabashedly enjoyed it. Just got done watching it and maybe I need time to digest it, I guess but maybe all I am just shocked by how much they changed from the book. Forget the obvious things, like Djstrikas casting (he's a underwear model?), it really was super loosely based on Blood of Elves, barely. It's like Witcher fan fiction its so loosely based on the book.
-whole plotline brought in from later books and given to different characters (Ciri touching Fire from a Time of Contempt),
-all of the blackwashing of characters (every sorceress other than Tissania and Francesca is POC? Phillipa, Triss, Nenneke, Frigilla),
-how much of the show is just made the fuck up for TV (all the monolith/Deathless Mother BS), Killing Eskel by turning him into a Leshy, having Ciri kill a bunch of witchers, having her blood be the key to making more witchers and Vesemir going to use this new potions to put Ciri through the Trials of the Grasses.
-all of the GRRRL PWR moments (Fringilla and Francesca heart "partners"), Fringilla killing the generals,
-how much time was spent on the elves, which was a theme of the books but its almost a third of season 2,
-as well how much they got right and still screwed up "A Grain of Truth".

None of the obviously political stuff was too overbearing, though. It's pretty good, because I like the characters but forget knowing what's going to happen in a season based upon having the books.

All of that's true but it's still the best thing on TV at this specific moment. WoT really made this look like a masterpiece but it's solid. The show stands on its own which is getting pretty rare. We'll never see another GoT first season, so I guess this is the next best thing.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Super well made and ultimately enjoyable, but a complete abomination if you're a fan of the books and the original story.
I get the earlier comment about the Polish guy commenting about crying "tears about blood". It probably seems awesome if you had never read the books and would be bewildered if you started reading them after seeing the show. Season 1 was recognizable at least to the books. Seasons 2 you will get some scenes but so much is just completely unmoored.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Someone on Reddit made and actual list of the all the changes from the book:
EDIT:Wow, that's not a link but the full page:

its-still.gif

• 2Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was way better than s1, both writing and narrative are still most of the time mediocre but the acting department got way better. Speaking of department, what's up with the shitty wigs and contact lenses? Vesemir looks straight up from Bangbros.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

I thought the look and acting for vesemir was great. /shrug

I would say maybe my tvs are shit which they arent but i watched half the episodes on the new Windows Surface and their screens are beautiful.

Ill never be a pro at getting great picture on all my devices, I have A 55" sony, 70" Lg, 82" Samsung and then my Laptop. and certain movies/cartoons randomly look better depending. Arcane looks way better on my LG, while The Witcher looks better on my Surface/Sony

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So the takeaway is that book readers are falling on their swords over the writers not following the same storyline.

n0mqs5r16k681.png

• 2Like
  • 1Double Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean it's a fair point. People will always complain when something deviates from source material. And based on that chart 72 percent of book readers thought it was at least decent. I bet if you did a similar poll with Wheel of Time you'd have very different results.

• 2Like

Homsar

I never read the books and any movie
I mean it's a fair point. People will always complain when something deviates from source material. And based on that chart 72 percent of book readers thought it was at least decent. I bet if you did a similar poll with Wheel of Time you'd have very different results.
sometimes not going off the source is fine, GoT did a lot of stupid shit but there was certain changes that were for the better in earlier seasons, obviously the books went down hill and the writers were idiots the last 3 season trying to make their own shit up.

This is flowing well and able to take out alot of extra filler it feels like, I didnt read the books so whatever

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If they ever bring Feist's Riftwar Saga to the big screen, I'd bitch too if they went so far off script /shrug

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user