The Wolverine

cypis

Lord Nagafen Raider
To those who ask 'why would he not?' The answer is: 'Because the side effects (acne, baldness and alteration of the vocal chords are not exactly good ideas for an actor and no one is interested in reduced testes and heart deformation) are not worth the reward' It's not like they are going to fire Jackman unless he weights more than X with less than Y% body fat...
I'm surprised you didn't add roid rage to that list. So many clueless people in this thread.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Movie was terrible, nothing except the one fight against the recently poisoned dude was wolverine being wolverine. I wanted to see him get so pissed off he fucks himself up to get to his objective.

Like peeling his own hand off to remove himself from cuffs etc. also the humans he was stabbing and throwing should have just slopped off his claws in pieces instead of being flipped through the air. I know they need to keep it pg13 but only makes me want a R rated version that much more.
Pretty much what i thought. I waited the whole movie for them to get to the fireworks factory and it never happened.

Arakkis

N00b
To those who ask 'why would he not?' The answer is: 'Because the side effects (acne, baldness and alteration of the vocal chords are not exactly good ideas for an actor and no one is interested in reduced testes and heart deformation) are not worth the reward' It's not like they are going to fire Jackman unless he weights more than X with less than Y% body fat...
I'm surprised you didn't add roid rage to that list. So many clueless people in this thread.
All symptoms of steroid abuse. The dosing used in TRT is managed by a doctor and simply returns the patient's testosterone levels to that of a young man thus avoiding the side effects. Ironically, one of the side effects of HGH use is shortened life span.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Ok just saw this and a couple things bothered me. 1) how does his hand instantly heal every time he takes out and puts away his claws when everything else doesn't? 2) You comic book nerds mind telling me how the heated up antimantium makes it cut through other antimantium? 3) In the after the credits scene his claws are back to the normal metal type and not bone anymore. Does he regen the metal as well?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I can answer a couple. As for 1, It's supposedly because he's done it soo many times that's it's just used to it. As for 3, if I remember right he did regen his adamantium back after Magneto stripped it from him. His healing factor considers it part of his body now.

After doing a quick look.. for 2, some metals can get stronger when heated, i guess it has something to do with temperatures before it reaches the melting point.

Brussels_sl

shitlord
I don't know the answers to 1 and 2, but I just got back from the theater 5 mins ago after watching this. In that scene his claws were bone, not metal.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
According to the comics, point one is ignored. He should bleed out when he pops them but even in the comics when his healing factor was diminished no one ever pointed out that he's cutting his own skin.

Point 2 is... Well its new to the movies. Adantium cannot be altered through normal physics. Once it cools and sets, its like that forever. I say normal physics because mutants like magneto can still mess with it on a molecular level. Heating it would not effect its ability to cut anything, especially other adamantium.

Point 3, as mentioned above, he had bone claws. Adamantium doesn't grow back. When magneto ripped out his adamantium, Logan went without it for some time before apocolypse made him the horseman of death and gave him back his metal

Caliane

He should have died yes. Admantium is poisonous. The only reason HE lived, and weapon 1-9 didn't, was his healing factor. that alone should have killed him. Then yes, cutting his skin, etc.. Questionable plot choice. As well as the cutting Admantium.

I dont think they were metal again in the after credit scenes, were they?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-RdLEDTb58
nope bone.

Not sure why anyone would suspect Jackman of steroid use. Most people could get nearly that ripped with creatine, protein supplements, and proper diet. At his age maybe throw in some testosterone replacement as well.

As for the movie, theRed Letter Media reviewpretty much nailed it. Shitty writing or plot choices aside, Wolverine is a 1-dimensional character and works much better as a sidekick. The Hulk is another example. The Hulk movies were 90 minutes of schlock, but in small doses he was one of the highlights of The Avengers. It wouldn't be impossible to make a "great" Wolverine or Hulk movie, but it is very hard since neither character is really that compelling aside from their ability to kick people's asses.

Not sure why anyone would suspect Jackman of steroid use. Most people could get nearly that ripped with creatine, protein supplements, and proper diet. At his age maybe throw in some testosterone replacement as well.

As for the movie, theRed Letter Media reviewpretty much nailed it. Shitty writing or plot choices aside, Wolverine is a 1-dimensional character and works much better as a sidekick. The Hulk is another example. The Hulk movies were 90 minutes of schlock, but in small doses he was one of the highlights of The Avengers. It wouldn't be impossible to make a "great" Wolverine or Hulk movie, but it is very hard since neither character is really that compelling aside from their ability to kick people's asses.
Depends on which version of Wolverine or Hulk you are talking about. The Wolverine from Old Man Logan and the Hulk from Planet/World War Hulk could both carry interesting story lines.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I haven't seen this movie and don't know if I will but I have a question in general about comic book movies.

Although some movies adapt from the comic book stories their characters are based off of, most of them completely revamp/retell already established stories with a huge degree of deviation from the original books. IMO, if you're going to just re-invent already established stories why not just use new stories instead of exploiting and kind of perverting the established story line? Or are these stories supposed to be similar but in some kind of parallel universe where things are similar but different?

Case in point, The Wolverine. It's loosely based off of the 4 issue mini-series from the 80's and I do mean LOOSELY. Are writers just being lazy? Personally I would much rather see comic book movies more closely based off the comic book like Watchmen was rather than using them as a skeleton and then fleshing them out however the writer feels like it if they are going to use actual comic book stories as the basis for their movies. Either that or just give us new stories that aren't in the comics. I'm sure nobody would care if it was a new story or not.

Szlia

Answer: $$$

The price you pay for the rights is lower than the revenue generated by brand recognition. Especially true when the people who own the rights make the movies themselves!

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Answer: $$$

The price you pay for the rights is lower than the revenue generated by brand recognition. Especially true when the people who own the rights make the movies themselves!
I can understand and I guess most people who see these movies really aren't big comic book fans and just accept them for what they are. On the other hand I just keep getting more and more annoyed when they rip off stories and then do with them what they will. Only way I can get past it is just to think about these characters being from some alternate earth, like Amazing Spider-Man is more based off of the Ultimate Universe than the original Marvel Universe.

Papashlapa

Lord Nagafen Raider
Steroids = testosterone
Testosterone replacement therapy for someone in their 40s is VERY different than steroids. For one, it's administered by a doctor, and it only brings your testosterone levels up to what's considered a healthy level for a young adult male. Steroids generally bring your testosterone levels significantly higher than is naturally possible. TRT is like fixing your broken arm, steroids are like getting a new bionic one that's 5x stronger.

Szlia

On the other hand I just keep getting more and more annoyed when they rip off stories and then do with them what they will.
It is important to understand that these brands are known by a number of people that is dramatically bigger than the one of those currently reading the comics (even if you consider only the US). So even if every single current comic book reader stopped going to super hero movies, the studio would not care.

It could be interesting to compare the numbers btw.... how many people bought the latest Wolverine or X-Men comic?