Xeldar

Silver Squire
How to get Wolverine healing factor irl:
41rHvIoU8kL.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Arakkis

N00b
Testosterone replacement therapy for someone in their 40s is VERY different than steroids. For one, it's administered by a doctor, and it only brings your testosterone levels up to what's considered a healthy level for a young adult male. Steroids generally bring your testosterone levels significantly higher than is naturally possible. TRT is like fixing your broken arm, steroids are like getting a new bionic one that's 5x stronger.
So because a doctor gives you the steroids they are no longer steroids? Are they Steroidinal???(please see product label for warnings)

Caliane

It is important to understand that these brands are known by a number of people that is dramatically bigger than the one of those currently reading the comics (even if you consider only the US). So even if every single current comic book reader stopped going to super hero movies, the studio would not care.

It could be interesting to compare the numbers btw.... how many people bought the latest Wolverine or X-Men comic?
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26148.html
Wolverine, is in or relevant to like 20 books, in the same way Batman is directly related to about 23 out of DC's 52.
Any Xmen or Avengers related material will likely have some Wolverine connection. some more overt then others.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
It is important to understand that these brands are known by a number of people that is dramatically bigger than the one of those currently reading the comics (even if you consider only the US). So even if every single current comic book reader stopped going to super hero movies, the studio would not care.

It could be interesting to compare the numbers btw.... how many people bought the latest Wolverine or X-Men comic?
Oh I completely understand that. Just wish if writers are going to do this they just write new stories instead of stealing the skeletons of the comics storyline and doing whatever the fuck they want with it. I mean the Silver Samuri is an old guy in cool armor trying to steal Wolverine's healing powers? Great, there goes a really good villain just like the Mandarin.

As for buying the latest Wolverine or X-Men comic...I avoid anything with Wolverine as a main character like the plague. The only X-Book I currently still buy is Uncanny X-Men.

cypis

Lord Nagafen Raider
Testosterone replacement therapy for someone in their 40s is VERY different than steroids. For one, it's administered by a doctor, and it only brings your testosterone levels up to what's considered a healthy level for a young adult male. Steroids generally bring your testosterone levels significantly higher than is naturally possible. TRT is like fixing your broken arm, steroids are like getting a new bionic one that's 5x stronger.
Oh boy, here we go again. TRT means you get prescribed testosterone (which is a steroid, hurr durr) injections. The only difference between TRT and a regular roid cycle is the dosage; TRT is usually around 200ish mg per week, while your average cycle is 500.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm no doctor or bodybuilder but the way I had it explained to me, is that guys who did roids when they were younger and really screwed up their bodies built in production of producing T, eventually have to get on TRT just to get normal again.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Meh, nowadays regardless of never using any sort of steroids when you were younger, it's not a bad thing to start using TRT after 35.

Szlia

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26148.html
Wolverine, is in or relevant to like 20 books, in the same way Batman is directly related to about 23 out of DC's 52.
Any Xmen or Avengers related material will likely have some Wolverine connection. some more overt then others.
It's difficult to make a fair comparison, because there are also differences in the way the media are consumed. For many, going to the movies is a family trip (multiple ticket sales), but if that same family wanted to read a comic book, they would buy it just the once. Still... if you compare the 251'456 sales of Super Man Unchained #1 in June (released on the 12th) to Man of Steel (released on the 14th) and you assume a $15 ticket (average ticket price in the US is south of $9, but Man of Steel was in 3D) to approximate ticket sales from the box office mojo numbers you get about 16 million tickets. Even if you divide it by a generous factor of 3 to count households interested in Man of Steel, there is still a 1/20 ratio between the comic book and the movie.

Caliane

It's difficult to make a fair comparison, because there are also differences in the way the media are consumed. For many, going to the movies is a family trip (multiple ticket sales), but if that same family wanted to read a comic book, they would buy it just the once. Still... if you compare the 251'456 sales of Super Man Unchained #1 in June (released on the 12th) to Man of Steel (released on the 14th) and you assume a $15 ticket (average ticket price in the US is south of $9, but Man of Steel was in 3D) to approximate ticket sales from the box office mojo numbers you get about 16 million tickets. Even if you divide it by a generous factor of 3 to count households interested in Man of Steel, there is still a 1/20 ratio between the comic book and the movie.
yeah. More things to consider. That is U.S Diamond to retail stores. not digital, not international.
And 1 month, not lifetime sales. (that superman comic you listed is more serial, so long tail won't likely be much of a comparison anyway, but other comics might. Things like Red Sun, or All-star superman for example. Sales on those, probably are closer to 1m+ for lifetime. Or a comic like Watchmen, which has been in print for like 25 years.)

Szlia

- The long tail of a movie comes with TV, rental and physical media (or the occasional re-release). But it's true the business model is very different from the one of comics. Maybe comparing DVD/BluRay sales against comic book sales would be more fair.

- If you want to look at things from a world wide perspective, I suspect it is damning for comic books. It would be interesting to investigate market per market, but it is pretty fair to assume that most of Asia is utterly dominated by their own production and I can assure you that in the french speaking world, american super hero comics (be it licensed stuff or imported stuff) is extremely marginal. I wonder how it goes in southern, eastern and northern Europe, Latin American, India (places where there is, to my knowledge, not a big tradition of domestic production of comic books) or Italy (where there is a tradition of production, but also a big tradition of importation of comics). I maybe should start a thread in the Book House to ask about it...

- Is digital version of comics more than a marginal thing?

- Do the numbers quoted in your link include online stores such as Amazon?

Papashlapa

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh boy, here we go again. TRT means you get prescribed testosterone (which is a steroid, hurr durr) injections. The only difference between TRT and a regular roid cycle is the dosage; TRT is usually around 200ish mg per week, while your average cycle is 500.
So...exactly what I just said. Thanks

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Decent movie give it about a seven, should have been first movie in series. Yes that's all the origin story you get, you know he is old and that he can heal really fast. Want more ask person sitting next to you for more information.

Liked the Japan setting didn't like references to X3 with wolverine killing Jean because that movie needs to be obliterated and done again correctly. That means Jean jumps into the alien suicide booth and kills herself not wolverine.

Ninja dude just randomly changing sides was lame they should have left racist son as the main villain until end portion and dropped viper. The ninja dude finally turning on son would have made some sense.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wolverine is best seen as a loner on a motorcycle, that's how he's able to just pop up in anyone's comic. Now he's a fcking saint somehow, they give him a comic "wolverine and the xmen" wtf kiddie shit is this? he tries to run a school that's better left in the hands of the women, srlsy kitty pride/storm/rachel and rogue do all the teaching, wolverine's story is usually, "omg, avengers called gruf, gruf". Like the previous guy said, anything with "wolverine" in it is shit, hell even the main comic is shit. IMO the best wolverine was ultimate wolverine and he's perma dead, they mourned him so much even after he practically threw cyclops off a cliff so wolvie could get in with jean.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
While it's true that replacement therapy is very different from getting testosterone specifically for building muscle, both forms are not reallyadministeredby a doctor. Just wanted to clarify.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just watched the extended bluray rip. I won't say it was awesome or anything, but after the previous movie and X-3 I was pleasantly surprised. There was plenty of stupid shit (heated adamantium, the entire Viper character, snow blower mayhem, claw-pitation, etc.), but it was a lot better than the atrocious previous one. Yukio was freaky as fuck looking, to the point it distracted me that she had such a triangular, alien face. Mariko was pretty cute though, and I'm not very susceptible to yellow fever (is that racist to say now?!). Story wasn't great, particularly for someone that bought and read the original 4-issue limited series when it came out. Oh, and the change to Silver Samurai was dumb and unnecessary. They could have integrated him in without ruining him, but whatever.

After credits scene was the best part though, obviously. And because I've seen it come up a few times in this thread and elsewhere about Xavier looking like Xavier after dying and being "reborn" in a different body...if you're the world's foremost telepath, and can freeze an ENTIRE airport full of people without breaking a sweat, I'm pretty sure you could be an elderly black woman with a stutter and still make everyone think you looked and sounded like the Xavier they remember. Obviously they could actually be going with him being somehow in the same body or a clone, or even somehow having the new body altered (Shi'Ar did it before, but they were smart and gave him legs that worked), but you can pretty much explain anything away with telepathy if you want too.

Also, I just read through this thread from all the way back when the movie first came out, because I had avoided it once it was released, and that whole steroid derail is retarded as fuck. He probably did use them, because why not, but the derail was so retarded that I was slightly motivated to see how long it would take me to get in that kind of shape without them, since I'm 44-years old like Hugh (if you're the same age you can use first names) and a little pudgy. But then I thought about how lazy I am, and decided I'd just call you guys all fags instead.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
After credits scene was the best part though, obviously. And because I've seen it come up a few times in this thread and elsewhere about Xavier looking like Xavier after dying and being "reborn" in a different body...if you're the world's foremost telepath, and can freeze an ENTIRE airport full of people without breaking a sweat, I'm pretty sure you could be an elderly black woman with a stutter and still make everyone think you looked and sounded like the Xavier they remember. Obviously they could actually be going with him being somehow in the same body or a clone, or even somehow having the new body altered (Shi'Ar did it before, but they were smart and gave him legs that worked), but you can pretty much explain anything away with telepathy if you want too.
that's pretty much the explanation i went with. except, you actually made me THINK about it and.. well... now i hate that explanation. if xavier transported his consciousness into a new body, did he just happen to pick by random someone who's legs don't work either? or can he walk but chooses not to? or is he walking but making everyone think he's in a wheelchair?! wha?!?