The Woman King (2022)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well nowadays we know the whole 'he a good boy, he dindu nuffin' is literally never true, so why exactly did his mom send him to live with relatives in Mississippi instead of keeping him at home in Chicago? Trying to keep a delinquent out of trouble?

Probably.

At this point I default to "there's more to the story" in literally all of these old cases.

Like how the "Tulsa race riot" was more about a black dude being arrested for attempted rape and then a mob of black dudes with guns showed up at the courthouse demanding his immediate release, before any investigation was done, which then prompted a bunch of white dudes to grab their gats in response / defense of the girl, who by all accounts was an honest kid who wouldn't have lied about something like that. Then they had a massive shootout, and one side won by a large margin. That = "Race massacre" in modern revisionism. Course the truth is probably a little murkier, maybe the winners of the street war did take it too far in the aftermath. Point is, it isn't as advertised, and I doubt much else is either from our historical lexicon of guilt-trips.

Juvarisx

Florida
Well nowadays we know the whole 'he a good boy, he dindu nuffin' is literally never true, so why exactly did his mom send him to live with relatives in Mississippi instead of keeping him at home in Chicago? Trying to keep a delinquent out of trouble?

Let's be real here sometimes thing are just plain fucked. What happened to him was just that, and the mockery of justice after was even worse.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just realized, if the villains of this movie are the French... I just recently watched Prey, and it also had French guys as the villains, and they were really gross and despicable.

What's with the sudden onslaught of anti-frenchmen movies? What'd France do? They're like the most racially diverse/tolerant country in Europe. Hollywood is all "NOT GOOD ENOUGH"

Juvarisx

Florida
Just realized, if the villains of this movie are the French... I just recently watched Prey, and it also had French guys as the villains, and they were really gross and despicable.

What's with the sudden onslaught of anti-frenchmen movies? What'd France do? They're like the most racially diverse/tolerant country in Europe. Hollywood is all "NOT GOOD ENOUGH"

The bad guys SHOULD have been French, for whatever reason they were fighting the Brazilians which made zero sense what so ever since the Brazilians were good friends with the Dahomey.

The furtrappers being French in Prey worked because they would have been based in French Louisiana and the Comache Land was to the north west

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

The French are the heroes who bayonetted all the Dahomey "Amazons" to death in a single casual afternoon's engagement.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we dont care if they're the villains, shut up and see the movie!
Director Prince-Bythewood first responded to the backlash last week, telling IndieWire, “I learned early on you cannot win an argument on Twitter, and I know all of that is going to go away once they see the film.” In recent comments to Variety, Davis and Julius Tennon — her husband and producing partner who also appears in the film — shared Prince-Bythewood’s sentiments.

“First of all, I agree with Gina Prince-Bythewood’s saying is you’re not going to win an argument on Twitter,” Davis told the outlet. “We entered the story where the kingdom was in flux, at a crossroads. They were looking to find some way to keep their civilization and kingdom alive. It wasn’t until the late 1800s that they were decimated. Most of the story is fictionalized. It has to be.”
Tennon explained that a balance must be struck. “We are now what we call ‘edu-tainment.’ It’s history but we have to take license. We have to entertain people. If we just told a history lesson, which we very well could have, that would be a documentary,” he said.

“Unfortunately, people wouldn’t be in the theaters doing the same thing we saw this weekend. We didn’t want to shy away from the truth. The history is massive and there are truths on that that are there. If people want to learn more, they can investigate more.”

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Director Prince-Bythewood first responded to the backlash last week, telling IndieWire, “I learned early on you cannot win an argument on Twitter, and I know all of that is going to go away once they see the film.” In recent comments to Variety, Davis and Julius Tennon — her husband and producing partner who also appears in the film — shared Prince-Bythewood’s sentiments.

“First of all, I agree with Gina Prince-Bythewood’s saying is you’re not going to win an argument on Twitter,” Davis told the outlet. “We entered the story where the kingdom was in flux, at a crossroads. They were looking to find some way to keep their civilization and kingdom alive. It wasn’t until the late 1800s that they were decimated. Most of the story is fictionalized. It has to be.”
Tennon explained that a balance must be struck. “We are now what we call ‘edu-tainment.’ It’s history but we have to take license. We have to entertain people. If we just told a history lesson, which we very well could have, that would be a documentary,” he said.

“Unfortunately, people wouldn’t be in the theaters doing the same thing we saw this weekend. We didn’t want to shy away from the truth. The history is massive and there are truths on that that are there. If people want to learn more, they can investigate more.”

What is this total word salad?

Sounds to me like they're backpedaling hard and basically admitting this is a fantasy.

Whatta shitshow. Well, it's good to see this board call something and have it be a widespread opinion days later, instead of the usual 6+ months that it takes the mainstream to catch up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What is this total word salad?

Sounds to me like they're backpedaling hard and basically admitting this is a fantasy.

Whatta shitshow. Well, it's good to see this board call something and have it be a widespread opinion days later, instead of the usual 6+ months that it takes the mainstream to catch up.
they have been calling it out for months, probably before we started talking about it. it just gained traction in the last few weeks. the kicker is its black people on twitter shitting themselves over it.
they started changing the description of the film it seems.
wk1.jpg

wk2.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Edu-tainment. Because so many movies in the past just completely lied about historical events because they'd be boring otherwise, right? Like in Braveheart where the English won, or Saving Private Ryan where the Nazis decimated the allies.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Edu-tainment. Because so many movies in the past just completely lied about historical events because they'd be boring otherwise, right? Like in Braveheart where the English won, or Saving Private Ryan where the Nazis decimated the allies.
Funny you mention Braveheart, because it was pretty loose with historical accuracy, as are most Mel "history" films (We Were Solders is the most accurate, but the ending is still wrong/incomplete).

It's just not as bad as: lets forget about the whole slavers thing and sell them as heroes to the decedents of slaves, type thing, that this movie has going on. Mel's movies mostly have a lot of small problems with History.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Funny you mention Braveheart, because it was pretty loose with historical accuracy, as are most Mel "history" films (We Were Solders is the most accurate, but the ending is still wrong/incomplete).

It's just not as bad as: lets forget about the whole slavers thing and sell them as heroes to the decedents of slaves, type thing, that this movie has going on. Mel's movies mostly have a lot of small problems with History.

I think the only accurate parts of Braveheart are William Wallace, Robert the Bruce and Edward Longshanks were real people, and that England and Scotland had a war. However, the movie rules and taught me early on that every time anything says its true, its lying to me, and it turns out I do not care.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think the only accurate parts of Braveheart are William Wallace, Robert the Bruce and Edward Longshanks were real people, and that England and Scotland had a war. However, the movie rules and taught me early on that every time anything says its true, its lying to me, and it turns out I do not care.
That's an interesting point. I'm almost tempted to agree with you except for times like this movie where it feels offensive on some level. Serious question, why is it okay for braveheart to be inaccurate but not the woman king?

I mean, on paper, braveheart is all kinds of inaccurate, but it's a great movie so who cares?

I guess that's the clincher... Braveheart is a great movie. The woman king is not. But how do I know that without ever having seen a trailer for woman king?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That's an interesting point. I'm almost tempted to agree with you except for times like this movie where it feels offensive on some level. Serious question, why is it okay for braveheart to be inaccurate but not the woman king?

I mean, on paper, braveheart is all kinds of inaccurate, but it's a great movie so who cares?

I guess that's the clincher... Braveheart is a great movie. The woman king is not. But how do I know that without ever having seen a trailer for woman king?
Even without the historical changes, Wallace was considered a hero. Woman King is a slaver reinterpreted into a hero. Isn't that the big difference?

• 2Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Braveheart didn't leave behind a key factor of scottish history, and try to actively obfuscate it. The Woman King is actively trying to obfuscate part of Dahomey's history. That's the difference.

Gibson got some stuff wrong, but the general "gist" of the film matched history. The Woman King is actively just going "Yeah that didn't happen" when it 100% did.

• 1Like

j00t

Yeah, I suppose that's what it is. My sister's first husband is from England and I remember talking to him about rob Roy and braveheart when they came out. He used to say that Scotland has a history of celebrating their own serial killers but I think that was just some friendly historical ribbing because he liked both of those movies.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

woman king is a fictional character. they are saying this is a historical film based on true events. did Braveheart ever claim that?

j00t

woman king is a fictional character. they are saying this is a historical film based on true events. did Braveheart ever claim that?
i mean... william wallace was a real person. but what he did in real life vs what he did in the movie is pretty different... so, technically yes? but maybe no? i don't know, man