The X-Files

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
disjointed, messy episode that was way too try hard with "MULDER! OUR SON! MULDER!!!" and the monster of the week was quite trashy

only good episode so far is Were Lizard. its also disappointing there is no back story arc moving things forward every episode. The only reason theX-Filesare back together is because Alex Jones Jr wanted to meet them.

ratings are still on fire though, #1 show last night again. Its pretty much a sure bet at this point we'll be getting moreX-Filesdown the road.
There are so many directions you could take this show. I just hope they lock down a good writing team going forward. TV shows have really advanced since this show first ran, and as much as I love the show, it has some catching up to do. But I think the potential is limitless.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Wasn't a big fan of tonight's episode, except the part with Mulder on shrooms. That was classic.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It wasn't bad for the first 2 minutes, but then it turned in to a 15 minute country western music video saved only at the end by Tom Waits.

last 2 episodes were absolute trash, moreso this week's. utterly uncreative lazy writing. there has to be better ideas than taking shrooms to talk to a terrorist. they need to crowdsource some ideas. how about a storyline that deals with scully trying to find her son and/or their son is trying to find them. how about finding some lost tapes from the lone gunman that has mulder/scully goign on a treasurehunt of sorts. how about a show that's just dialogue b/w mulder and smoking man. ffs have some sort of overaching story that is more interwoven. if i wanted to watch crap like this i would still be watching supernatural. the only saving grace of this episode was that pretty boy agent who looked like bel ami's lukas ridgestone. that said, i still wouldn't want to watch either of the new agents in a spinoff. i'm here to see mulder/scully.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Tonight was not a bright spot at all. Btw, whats the plan? Are they pitching this forward for more seasons? I originally thought it was a one time 6-episode deal. But the way the season has gone, doesn't seem that way at all.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Tonight was not a bright spot at all. Btw, whats the plan? Are they pitching this forward for more seasons? I originally thought it was a one time 6-episode deal. But the way the season has gone, doesn't seem that way at all.
I'm thinking they did this 6 part series to test the waters. The ratings have been huge, so there's definitely still an audience for this show. However, I do feel that if this show gets picked back up, they need a team of experienced writers (or young writers with good ideas) to bring the show up to par with some of the other truly awesome shows that are now on TV.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was listening to Chris Carter on the Nerdist Writing Panel, and he talked about how the original series was written. One of the writers would be in charge of the episode, but it was a collaborative effort when it came down to pitching stories and the editing process, including Carter rewriting scenes if he felt it necessary. This time around, there is no writers' room. Each episode is written and directed solely by one of the original writers (Carter for eps. 1, 5 & 6, James Wong for 2, Darin Morgan for 3, and Glen Morgan for 4), though obviously they have some collaboration over the season's theme (which is basically why William is mentioned every week).

I think that explains the quality of this season. While it sounds like an interesting idea to give some of the X-Files' original writers full control, it also makes for a very disjointed season since there isn't anyone to reign them in when needed. That, and the writers who got to direct their own episodes don't have much directing experience at all (Darin only directed 2 episodes of Millennium nearly a decade ago), which I think results in some of the weaker acting we've seen.

Sevens

Log Wizard
I was listening to Chris Carter on the Nerdist Writing Panel, and he talked about how the original series was written. One of the writers would be in charge of the episode, but it was a collaborative effort when it came down to pitching stories and the editing process, including Carter rewriting scenes if he felt it necessary. This time around, there is no writers' room. Each episode is written and directed solely by one of the original writers (Carter for eps. 1, 5 & 6, James Wong for 2, Darin Morgan for 3, and Glen Morgan for 4), though obviously they have some collaboration over the season's theme (which is basically why William is mentioned every week).

I think that explains the quality of this season. While it sounds like an interesting idea to give some of the X-Files' original writers full control, it also makes for a very disjointed season since there isn't anyone to reign them in when needed. That, and the writers who got to direct their own episodes don't have much directing experience at all (Darin only directed 2 episodes of Millennium nearly a decade ago), which I think results in some of the weaker acting we've seen.
Sure wish Vince Gilligan could have returned, that man has proven with both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul that he is a master story teller

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

That actually makes a lot of sense and explains how this season unfolded. Hopefully, moving forward, they will collaborate again before shooting. I love that the show is back on the air, but besides the were-lizard episode, it hasn't been a resounding triumph.

spronk

FPS noob
Was a weird episode. Like what was up with the arab homeland guy who wanted Sculley and Miller to leave? Miller said something about him wanting revenge, but that seems pretty idiotic - why would they give a shit about killing the almost dead kid? I'm glad they didn't puss out and make it a false flag operation by the Illuminati to incite America against Muslims, but it's kinda funny how the episode made Muslims come off very badly.

The nurse who wanted to murder him was a bit crazy but also kinda right, if the local church brought him and the others over they basically hosted a giant sleeper terrorist cell... we need Trump to sort this out!

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
I didn't mind the terrorist episode until the very end with the bs speech between Scully and Mulder. I did love the trumpet callback to the beginning of the episode though. I love shit like that, and would have loved for that theme to continue to the next episode but it probably won't.

6 episodes was not nearly enough.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm not complaining about this at all. Except that it's too short to really get anything accomplished. The first episode wasn't good, but beyond that? It's felt like classic X-Files.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, at least they kept with the tradition of bullshit season endpoints.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
You have to hand it to Chris Carter. The guy sure knows something about ensuring job security.

spronk

FPS noob
i'm kinda drunk i took a shot of scotch every time someone said alien dna

lol just about nothing in the original x-files conspiracy stuff makes any sense after the verbal diarrhea of this episode

at least CSM is now a feral ghoul, soon he will rule the wasteland

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Thought this episode was horrible. The whole plot with all the political agenda bullshit in it was just way over the top. I can see all the anti vaccination people now watching this episode and saying "See! that's exactly why we didn't get our children vaccinated!" I like how Scully was able to whip up the cure for the Spartan virus in fifteen minutes. Seems plausible since scientists around the globe haven't found a cure for anything in almost a century.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Well the cure is found in the DNA of only a select few. And I'm sure any time a doctor has come close Cancer Man was all over it. Pretty easy thing to explain away.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
wtf was that ending? did they rescue scully before she could cure molder?

am thinking this is going into movie mode tbh. another s2 or a movie for sure.