The X-Files

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Well, it's either
A) He didn't. Guy offed himself to stop LOUD NOISES mind-control-pain and/or "Oh fuck I'm hacking the main computer I'm so fucked forever"
or
B) He did make the guy kill himself in order to clean up (derp, janitor joke) loose ends. If the guy had been taken by security, he probably would have spilled the story about the sound and messages, which lines up with Dr. Explody-Eyeballs' wife's account, which would potentially let Dr EE know his son survived/start to hunt him down.

I lean towards A), but with how quick Kyle was to smoke his Dad, he might give 0 shits about killing some humans to save his sister.
Well, Mulder asks him in the car why he did it, but then Mulder added, "you can't control it, can you?" Then Kyle said something about the doctor helping him, which made it more confusing. I'll have to watch it again. I may have missed part of the dialogue in the car.

Axlrose

<Gold Donor>
My impression of Kyle was his bursts were based upon his feelings at the time. For the first doctor and the first time with Mulder, he was crying out for help. The second time against Mulder was when he sensed his adopted mother was feeling threatened and lashed out against him. Against dear old dad, it was anger and combined with his sister, the two of them apparently popped his brains out.

Perhaps I heard it wrong, but at the end, did they say dad's body was not there? Why would the siblings take it, especially if they caused the damage Mulder said he saw?

I agree with others here and feel everything is on such a fast pace it does feel rushed. Granted time is moving, but Sunday's episode presented Mulder's office as a shell while today it is fully operational as if he's been working there for weeks now. Perhaps there have been other moments happening - otherX-Files- but we're only getting a bit here and there overall. *shrugs*

The "what if" flashbacks with their child was a bit odd, since it seemed in that time their clothes and hair styles would not have changed.

HUH_sl

shitlord
Better, but not by a lot. Still pretty clunky but the freak show of deformed kids was good. I wonder if it will actually tie into the series arc in any meaningful way. If it doesn't you have to wonder what's the point. It would be a solid episode in a season of 24 episodes, but in a season of 6 it kinda seems like a wasted opportunity.

Darin Morgan's episode is next right? That's what I'm really excited for. His episodes of the XFiles are some of my favorite episodes of any TV show. I'm sure I'm going to be horribly disappointed.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
My impression of Kyle was his bursts were based upon his feelings at the time. For the first doctor and the first time with Mulder, he was crying out for help. The second time against Mulder was when he sensed his adopted mother was feeling threatened and lashed out against him. Against dear old dad, it was anger and combined with his sister, the two of them apparently popped his brains out.

Perhaps I heard it wrong, but at the end, did they say dad's body was not there? Why would the siblings take it, especially if they caused the damage Mulder said he saw?

I agree with others here and feel everything is on such a fast pace it does feel rushed. Granted time is moving, but Sunday's episode presented Mulder's office as a shell while today it is fully operational as if he's been working there for weeks now. Perhaps there have been other moments happening - otherX-Files- but we're only getting a bit here and there overall. *shrugs*

The "what if" flashbacks with their child was a bit odd, since it seemed in that time their clothes and hair styles would not have changed.
No, I think the doctor's body was there, it was the kids that there were no trace of (except Mulder stole his blood sample). I agree that it seems really rushed. I mean, like you said, in episode 1 his office is totally empty, and now it's fully reconditioned and operational and looks like he's been in it for months. Perhaps it's rushed because they're only doing 6 episodes, but they could've done something like just shown the office being slowly put back together over a few episodes. Just a little subtle touch. It also seems like the wholeX-filesbeing reopened was really rushed. I suppose that was the point of the first episode, but again, could've been done a lot better and not felt so rushed.
I also agree that the non existent flashbacks of their kid seemed weird and pointless. The overall acting seemed a lot better in this one, though. In the first episode it seemed like Duchovny and Anderson were on Xanax.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Better, but not by a lot. Still pretty clunky but the freak show of deformed kids was good. I wonder if it will actually tie into the series arc in any meaningful way. If it doesn't you have to wonder what's the point. It would be a solid episode in a season of 24 episodes, but in a season of 6 it kinda seems like a wasted opportunity.

Darin Morgan's episode is next right? That's what I'm really excited for. His episodes of the XFiles are some of my favorite episodes of any TV show. I'm sure I'm going to be horribly disappointed.
The tie-in seems to be the deformities may or may not be caused by the introduction of Alien DNA in to the children / mom's being used as incubators for these tests. That was my take on the previous two episodes. What the actual timeline is or truth to it we'll hopefully get more of. But, it seems to have gone from aliens being actively engaged in day to day affairs to aliens and alien technology being secured back in the Roswell-era (with Roswell being a smoke screen) and then those experiments being conducted by the government on the people.

spronk

FPS noob
good news is the show is crushing it in the ratings, with 16m tuning in sunday night and 10m on monday night (live numbers, more after DVR/web), making it a pretty sure bet we will see morex-files

lucifer also did really well for its premiere, 7m, although who knows if that was just anx-filesbump or not

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
He killed the first doctor while trying to use him to get the information on the location of his sister.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This was ok. Not mind-blowing, but not "2nd movie" either.

Scully and Mulder both look old and tired, but Scully looks really old. No real magic yet, and I feel the writing is a bit rushed and sub-par, hopefully it gets better.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Glad the series is back, but this has been lackluster at best so far. The writing is the main culprit. It's sloppy and makes gigantic leaps, especially in the first episode. After watching the first episode, I had to check that Damon Lindelof wasn't involved in some way.

That scene in the hangar was just fucking horrible. Zero-point energy, free energy, energy of the universe, unopentanium. It was like TNG technobabble on overdrive. Who cares about the fucking technology? It floats on tech we don't have, you don't need to give it a name.

Then the blackops dudes just show up, strap some C4 to it. Yep, job done, this explosion won't attract any attention and the technology will be COMPLETELY erased from existence.

Second episode was better. But Scully and Mulder trying to related over their son was just so wooden and forced.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The writing is abysmally bad and there's a couple of scenes you can clearly see both Anderson / Duchovny out of their characters, not giving a flying fuck doing any serious acting. And they're probably right because this reboot is a joke.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I think its probably mostly an indication of how much TV drama has progressed in the years that thex-fileswere off. While these episodes would have been perfectly fine in a regularx-filesseason, compared to all their competition now the show is sadly extremely mediocre.
Well, theX-Filesat the end wasn't all that great, and the movies sucked. Chris Carter started dropping the ball writing and picking scripts a long time ago, and nothing has changed.

They should have let the guy who does Fargo TV have a run at it. That would have been a blast.

Column_sl

shitlord
I caught up with this last night, and it's enjoyable for me.

You can nitpick anything to death, but it feels like the old X Files.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, the second episode felt like old schoolX-Files. You can pick apart the original series just as easily. TV is just better now.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, the second episode felt like old schoolX-Files. You can pick apart the original series just as easily. TV is just better now.
This and what Column said.

I had a lot of guildies who jerked off to this shit as opposed to just enjoying it. I never understood the fanaticism, just not my cup of tea I guess. Thought it was pretty much just as good as the originals /shrug. It was always a difficult show to define, at times they were like Cult Sci-fi, and other times they just didn't give a shit (Luke Wilson episode was awesome).

So I watched it, enjoyed it, and then was completely surprised at all the vitriol and over analysis as if I watched an entirely different show 20 years ago.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
This and what Column said.

I had a lot of guildies who jerked off to this shit as opposed to just enjoying it. I never understood the fanaticism, just not my cup of tea I guess. Thought it was pretty much just as good as the originals /shrug. It was always a difficult show to define, at times they were like Cult Sci-fi, and other times they just didn't give a shit (Luke Wilson episode was awesome).

So I watched it, enjoyed it, and then was completely surprised at all the vitriol and over analysis as if I watched an entirely different show 20 years ago.
Think this is a valid point. I thought the first episode definitely deserved the vitriol. It was just horribly written and horribly acted. It was a bad idea to reboot the franchise with such a lackluster episode. However, I thought the second episode was markedly better and felt like an oldX-filesepisode. Even being a huge fan of the original show, I thought there were outstanding episodes, decent episodes, and down right awful episodes. It was never the poster child of consistency, nor was it ever mistaken for Shakespeare. It was what it was: a pretty excellent, campy sci-fi show.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The acting is really quite terrible from both Fox & Scully, but it'sX-Filesso I fucking love it.