The Xenoblade Chronicles Appreciation/Anticipation thread! 3DS/Wi U - YES

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah my Miranium cap is like 21000 right now but I'm harvesting almost 40k per cycle so lots going to waste.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Did some more Googling, here's some info:

According to a Japanese wiki there are 10 storage probes:

4 are from story progress.

3 are from quests (reclamation of mira part 4 and 5, and reclamation training, rough translation but I can't be bothered to cross-check English quests)

1 is from collectopedia, for completing Cauldros (all of it? not sure)

2 are from treasures:

-Sylvalum, inside a cave in a chasm northeast of site 401
-Cauldros, segment east of site 514
I'm guessing the "Reclamation of Mira" quests are the Trailblazer quests from Kirsty.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Im up to Chapter 9 as well. I did some probe work last night. I was worried if I moved a probe I would lose it, and since you can't seem to buy them anywhere I didn't want to do that. Was experimenting with the crappy lvl1 mining probes and saw that they go back into inventory (thankfully) if you change out probes.

switched a lot of stuff around and got my storage up to 25.5k

I only have 4 storage probes, and they are linked up. I had put them with the 1 duplicator probe at the end of the string attempting to duplicate the 30% bonus, but that doesn't appear to work The wording on the duplicator is kinda sketchy so I think it might say this in the description in very unclear terms. I found I got better results sticking my lvl 2 booster probe at the end of the chain instead. I've got most of the nodes found in all the places except Cauldros, but I'm missing a few key ones that will open up some better links that it appears I'm going to need flight to get.

moving probes can get costly, but I boosted my credit revenue from 17k to 50k last night as well, so now I should start making a little more bank.

loving the game so far, but its really big and there isn't a ton of information out there on it yet (to be expected). I tend to get focused in on certain parts and neglect others and then have to play catch up. Working on affinity between some of the side chars now, as they are needed for affinity missions which are needed for story missions. Chars outside of Doug, Lin and Elma haven't been used much, but I'm starting to throw them in while I beat shit down with Skells for some easy question completion affinity.

one question, I'm almost out of AM's to upgrade, I've only got 5. I guess I need to dig up the side quests to unlock more. What are you guys spending your Miranium on? Augment slots for weapons seems like a waste for lvl 30ish weps...

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah side quests. The last AM I opened was Orphean Tech. Mostly just spending miranium on leveling them up since like you I think upgrading the level 30 gear is kind of a waste.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
up to 153k per tick for revenue, looks like I'm going to need it for the level 50 skels heh.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Could you guys give some pointers about class selection and group composition? I'm on Chapter 4 or 5, about lvl 20, and I'm working my way towards Duelist. I haven't paid attention much at all to my companions; in combat, I do my personal combos to get a big hit or two from my skills, and if my companions happen to trigger something, great, but most times, the timing doesn't line up. Most combat goes well but I'm sure that I'm missing a ton of potential. And I'd really like to get rid of the 13 year old girl...how long until her slot opens up?

Oh and also, itemization! The whole ranged/melee attack number is quite confusing. There's a bunch of weapons that have something like 50 attack but lack Ranged Attack Up, so the overall rating goes down, even though it's a much higher level item than a 20 attack weapon I'm looking at upgrading. And there's some other times when the Total Ranged Attack and Ranged Attack are changing at different values, such that when I'm looking at equipping a new item, my Ranged Attack is red and goes down a few points, but the Total Ranged Attack goes up (I can't remember a specific example but I believe this was also involving items with RA Up). Is "Total" the be all and end all? What stats are good to equip / augment?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
You pretty much have to use Elma and Lin the entire game, for most of the important story and affinity missions at least.

So you really only get 1 slot to play around with.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
yeah I would advise on doing the non-affinity missions and side-quests with a crew other than Elma and Lin, as they seem to be in almost all the story missions and a lot of the affinity missions. Your affinity level with them will be pretty good, but for Irinia, Gwin, Doug, HB, L and the other guys you will need to rotate them in for some gravy to get that affinity up

I really miss the "gift" ability with collectibles from the first Xenoblade, helped boost that affinity between lesser used characters

has anyone found a way to reset Battle Points spent?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've been avoiding this thread cuz i don't give wiiU + xenobladex to wife till xmas, but so far on a scale of
1 to awesome?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I was pretty excited for this but after getting near the end of the game here I'd have to give it a 7.5/10. I like the game but has some large flaws, mostly in the story/character department. Game is also alot more grindy then I was expecting, pretty much have to play with a guide if you want to get collect quests done, god awful soundtrack(imo). There are a few other things but those are the major things that stuck out.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
im not as far through the story as Derkon but so far the game is pretty good, the story is ok but not really the reason I'm playing it.

backup characters catch to within 10ish levels of your mains pretty fast, but leveling is a grindy. I agree you will probably need to look up stuff for getting some of the collections done, there is just so many ground items its really hard to keep track of them all and some of them have very specific areas they seem to spawn in, so if you are out looking for them in general you probably won't "stumble" upon them.

mobs seem to have a fair bit of hitpoints, they don't necessarily hit overly hard but the average mob takes quite a bit of beating to knock down, unless you are scything it from a skell.

the game makes very nice use of the gamepad and the graphics on the terrain and monsters is pretty good. The characters don't seem as detailed and you do happen to be staring at them quite a bit more but the zones are very nicely done. The city music is rough, but I don't mind each zones individual music.

all in all, I am playing it alot and enjoying it. Its nice RPG content for the Wii U that was lacking a game like this. I think if the Wii U had stiffer competition (more of the Destiny / Fallout / Skyrim) this game may not seem as good, but so far its a nice play on this console in my opinion. With the amount of hours that will be put into it, I cant imagine anyone sees it as a bad investment. If you liked the first Xenoblade I think you'll like this one too.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Well the collection stuff would be one thing, but the fucking kill these mobs for collection quests and the map not showing you where to even hunt for them is ???. I mean they show you where to go for normal kill quests, not sure why they didnt here.

The music thing is mostly the city tracks, but when I got my flight for the skel and that awful lyric track kicks in everytime it really kills it for me at least. The same sappy lyric track playing during cut scenes drowning out what the characters are saying is pretty dumb as well.

I do like the game overall as mentioned, if you have a Wii U it's a no brainer really. Just mostly don't think this game at all compares to the first; just lacks that charm the first game had.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It would be a huge benefit if the whole Intel / Collectepedia thing just included which FN sites the collectibles or mobs were around. It even makes perfect sense from a gameplay perspective. That would really help out those dumb missions. And boy are there a ton of missions. I mean like a ton. Missions, side quests, main missions. About the only thing there doesn't seem to be a lot of is story quest, hah. It's still very fun though. I think a 7/7.5 out of 10 is very fair.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I didn't actively do any Basic missions from the terminal, there's no reason to. If I had the extra gathering materials I'd grab them and they'd completely instantly but that's it.

Stick to the Affinity and Normal missions - both flesh out the characters and world a lot (Water Purification quest line for example) and I'd say they are required if you want to get the full story.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The Bianho Water Purification quest line, the Alien Nation one I think it is called, and there was one other I did yesterday. They were pretty unexpected given the rest of the game. Good quests.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have to bump this thread. I hate this game. I hate it to its very core. As someone who grew up on RPGs this game offends me beyond any other game ive played. The sheer number of mechanics and systems this game has start that arent introduced in a conducive manner is disgusting. Ive put 40 hours into this thing and i truly know next to know about the mechincs at play in this game on the deeper level. I do not understand how it was such a highly rated game it feels like a mess.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I have to bump this thread. I hate this game. I hate it to its very core. As someone who grew up on RPGs this game offends me beyond any other game ive played. The sheer number of mechanics and systems this game has start that arent introduced in a conducive manner is disgusting. Ive put 40 hours into this thing and i truly know next to know about the mechincs at play in this game on the deeper level. I do not understand how it was such a highly rated game it feels like a mess.
If you grew up with Wizardry or Might and Magic, I did too, and yeah the games have certainly changed. It's all about stat meta games and simulating combat from whack-a-mole. I'm not as offended by this one, though. Maybe it's because I'm pretending its a modern Phantasy Star. A few of the minor quests are pretty dark. Those are definitely the better ones.

I still think the camera, sound, and UI are awfully bad and should have gotten way more criticism in reviews.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Having been able to step away and calm down. I enjoy the game. It's fun, but its such a mess the camera, combat targeting when there are is more then one or two monsters on screen the overwhelming number of character stats and combat keywords, and the HUD. And so much of it the game tells you nothing or next to nothing about. That is just poor design. Maybe not playing the Wii Xenoblade has me at a disadvantage for this games systems but that shouldn't be a valid excuse anyways.

Edit: And to the person who negged me with "rtfm". I did. It barely covers anything other then the very surface level of the game. So blow me pal.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The manual covers everything with enough detail get started, not sure what you wanted from it exactly. The game also does a decent job after a story mission giving you a big info dump on new mechanics (Like Overdrive, Skells, etc). Some stuff I wish was easier to find (like what gear augment traits do, without having to look them up in the Augment development shop), or to be able to look up what monster drops a crafting item.

It doesn't go into everything super advanced, but part of the fun is exploring the world and figuring it out yourself.