The Xenoblade Chronicles Appreciation/Anticipation thread! 3DS/Wi U - YES

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just read the eurogamer review. Full score.

Just watched some streams of it. It looks incredible.

However, as much as I want the game, I am very skeptical of buying the Wii-U. For one because the NX or whatver it will be called, might be backwards compatible and will obviously be better than the Wii-U, and also because I rarely ever used the Wii. It only got nintendo exclusives which were few and far between.
So far, its pretty good.

Is it "Buy a new Wii U just for this game" good?

I dunno bout all that. I mean they're pretty cheap now, but if you haven't already purchased a Wii U, primarily for this title, a couple years ago, then I'd say you can prolly wait a while longer before diving in.

Only reason I bought it is because I bought a Wii U pretty much for this title and Zelda Wind Waker, and I had to hunt around to find all the cables and parts to hook the Wii U back up, its been like over a year since I've even touched the stupid thing.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I don't use my wiiu often, but Mario kart made the system worth it.

My preorder did not arrive today, super bummed.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just hit chapter 4 and I feel completely overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to do/explore.
Yeah I got to chapter 4 tonight and stopped.

Seems like thats the point most all the core systems are unlocked and the game opens up to exploration.

I will say that there is an almost overwhelming amount of stuff to do right off the bat, but it p, at least right now, feels better constructed and less scatter shotted about than the wii/3ds xenoblade game felt.

Just seems like everything is more refined, i dunno. I like it, I like having guns and shit too, thats a nice change.

No problems with font or anything here. The ui is essentially unchanged and it would be my one complaint, but its sufficient for what it does.

I would also have liked just a bit more clarification about the wii u pad integration but once I figured out you can select points of interest on it and interact with them, such as changing probes from research to mining etc. then I got over that. Probably my fault I never read or pay attention to tutorial crap anymore but just zone out and hit the button to move shit along.

Overall, the story has my attention though.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So far, its pretty good.

Is it "Buy a new Wii U just for this game" good?

I dunno bout all that. I mean they're pretty cheap now, but if you haven't already purchased a Wii U, primarily for this title, a couple years ago, then I'd say you can prolly wait a while longer before diving in.

Only reason I bought it is because I bought a Wii U pretty much for this title and Zelda Wind Waker, and I had to hunt around to find all the cables and parts to hook the Wii U back up, its been like over a year since I've even touched the stupid thing.
Sound advice!

So downloading 10gb of patches to Xenoblade X currently. Also have this odd Super Mario statue amiibo thingy, because the only console version they had was a limited edition Mario Maker.

Two questions:

1) Is it really not possible to turn off the menu music? I can't find a setting for it, and the tips online says "mute the TV". The sound is from the controller, which is on due to the download appears to go much faster when I keep it on the download screen

2) Is it possible to get all audio out from the controller and connect headphones to it similarly to the PS4? Not just menu sounds/music, but the game as well.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Sound advice!

So downloading 10gb of patches to Xenoblade X currently. Also have this odd Super Mario statue amiibo thingy, because the only console version they had was a limited edition Mario Maker.

Two questions:

1) Is it really not possible to turn off the menu music? I can't find a setting for it, and the tips online says "mute the TV". The sound is from the controller, which is on due to the download appears to go much faster when I keep it on the download screen

2) Is it possible to get all audio out from the controller and connect headphones to it similarly to the PS4? Not just menu sounds/music, but the game as well.
* there are no sound options in the game at all
* the game only outputs sound to the gamepad during off-tv play. if you want to play on tv but use headphones, you will have to connect the headphones to a tv or stereo that is receiving the wii u audio output
* apparently the game is only outputting stereo. no surround sound at all

koljec_sl

shitlord
Got up to Chapter 4 yesterday. Game is growing on me in spite of its flaws.

I don't see how this reviewed so highly, though.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Probably because most the reviewers sunk 50 hours or more into it before making their reviews.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Did they patch the font thing? I've had no issues at all with the size or clarity. Playing on a normal 55" plasma from about 8' away.

The camera is really the only complaint I have but tweaking the sensitivity had help a ton. Not perfect by any stretch.

Not sure what the bad audio complaint is. Just the cheesy electronic jazz? Audio level and what-not is fine.

Oh other than the camera would it be too much to ask for us to go one game without a damn Tatsu / Lemmel annoying as all hell overly cutesy character?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
25ish hours in, hard to put the game down but got to work tomorrow.

Sure, but even with 50 hours in, it doesn't explain omitting criticism of the bad audio, camera, and font.
The font is a bit small but I don't see how they fix it - the NoA localizer's can't make changes to the UI design so it's probably as big as it can be and still fit all the text where it needs to be.

Not sure what audio issue you are having - only complaint I have is sometimes the music is too loud during cutscenes and I wish there was a way to lower the music.

Camera is fine unless your in a small area then it get's slow for some reason.

So yeah, pretty minor issues in the grand scheme of things. Annoying, but the game as a whole is pretty polished when compared to most AAA releases these days.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Game is good so far. Only two complaints: Music overriding the cut scenes, and it is horrible psychedelic garbage rock on top of it. And echoing a bit on the camera.

With that said I am using a Wii U Pro with the Gamepad beside me for the other stuff and it is working very well together. I have only just finished chapter 3 though so still unlocking things.

Protip: READ THE MANUAL. Hardly anything is explained in game. Weather effects on combat, party cohesion and ability cohesion with party members, the mob conning system, and about 60 other VERY important things that you will want to know about.

Read the manual. Trust me.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never had much interest in this game due to hating the previous one, but I find the amount of tears I've seen around gamefags and reddit about having to actually read a manual in 2015 to be hilarious. I remember when games came with novel-sized manuals, and it was considered a good thing. :/

Out of curiosity, how's the voice acting in this one? That was my single biggest complaint about XC, but I see this time around that they hired actual well-known talent, and "Avatar (female)" is voiced by my favorite one of all (Tara Platt). Almost makes me wish I had a Wii U.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I never had much interest in this game due to hating the previous one, but I find the amount of tears I've seen around gamefags and reddit about having to actually read a manual in 2015 to be hilarious. I remember when games came with novel-sized manuals, and it was considered a good thing. :/

Out of curiosity, how's the voice acting in this one? That was my single biggest complaint about XC, but I see this time around that they hired actual well-known talent, and "Avatar (female)" is voiced by my favorite one of all (Tara Platt). Almost makes me wish I had a Wii U.
The voice acting is pretty decent so far. There are already some annoying characters, but the 3-4 of the main folks I have ran into so far are pretty good.

The problem comes with the music. Especially when in the main city. There is this rap song (If you can even call it that?) that sounds like Biggie Smalls just sucked down some helium and they recorded him having sex with a midget.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Voice acting is mostly fine, couple NPCs sound like your typical generic actor but the VAs for the "main" characters are ok. The VA you pick for your avatar is mostly how he/she sounds calling out stuff during battle, you aren't actually voiced during cutscenes.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It's amazing I see some reviews about shallow combat. It is anything but, and very complex and dependent on party members for some special abilities.

https://cdn03.nintendo-europe.com/me...niclesX_EN.pdf

Everyone should read the manual. You will see about 90% of the complexity of the game locked in here.

I mean, who knew that you could increase the manufacturing level of Arms products (weapons, etc) by advertising with the company using R&D points when you kill monsters using their products.

Seriously.

The game also has it's own SWG-Style resource gathering in segments. Quality of minerals/variation of resources, production, revenue generation, all based per segment.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah music during cutscenes is really annoying, sometimes it drowns out what the characters are saying.

koljec_sl

shitlord
The voice acting is pretty decent so far. There are already some annoying characters, but the 3-4 of the main folks I have ran into so far are pretty good.

The problem comes with the music. Especially when in the main city. There is this rap song (If you can even call it that?) that sounds like Biggie Smalls just sucked down some helium and they recorded him having sex with a midget.
Yeah the city rap song really is just a high pitched Biggie goinguh uhover and over again. It's cringe worthy.

I agree that the voice acting is good, but every conversation has too long of a pause between character lines. It's just badly edited together. That and the main character is mute for the cut scenes.

To ManO:

I moved my couch to about 6'. Font problem solved on the TV. But the font is even worse on the gamepad. It's like there aren't enough pixels to render it.

And yeah, the camera becomes almost non-functional in small buildings, like the Prone structures.

It's a really good game for a long winter's nap. But if this is a preview of the next Zelda, I hope Nintendo can put some polish on it.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I mean, who knew that you could increase the manufacturing level of Arms products (weapons, etc) by advertising with the company using R&D points when you kill monsters using their products.

Seriously.

The game also has it's own SWG-Style resource gathering in segments. Quality of minerals/variation of resources, production, revenue generation, all based per segment.
Which is cool when you realize all the economy and passive mining shit is leading up to when you get your own Skell mech just how much it costs to maintain. All the systems really build up to that and it makes sense you don't get your Skell right off the bat because of it.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Game looks amazing from what i've seen on twitch. I would play the hell out of it no doubt but buying a WiiU for it? I don't think so.

Console exclusives can suck it.
mad.png