The 'Yet Another Mass Murder' Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe if the kids got more trophies.. and teams didn't keep score anymore.. and we coddled children who are bullied.. and zero tolerance.. and we removed peanuts from schools.. and we controlled guns better.. and we gave out more medication.. and we created mental illnesses for anyone.. and if.. and if.. and if..

Nation of pussies created it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I love the folks arguing that having laws against guns is pointless because bad guys don't follow those laws.

So, with that logic, we wouldn't have any laws. Bad guys don't follow the laws against murder, either, so I guess we should abolish those laws. Obviously that will reduce the number of murders that happen.

Get gun law in place, and punish people who do stupid shit to the full extent of the law.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I don't know what a perfect gun law would be, because it doesn't exist. I personally think there needs to be restrictions on how many, and who can have what kind of guns. In my perfect situation, it would be illegal for anyone but a police or service person to have access to handguns, but I know how unpopular that opinion is.

So, who knows? I don't have to make decisions like this because I'm not dumb enough to run for office.

bazazu

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know what a perfect gun law would be, because it doesn't exist. I personally think there needs to be restrictions on how many, and who can have what kind of guns. In my perfect situation, it would be illegal for anyone but a police or service person to have access to handguns, but I know how unpopular that opinion is.

So, who knows? I don't have to make decisions like this because I'm not dumb enough to run for office.
I'll bite here. Serious question for you then... Guns exist. Criminals will find a way to get a hold of them in a number of ways (smuggling, stealing, etc). How does average joe protect ones self from criminals with guns? How about an average joe protecting himself from some roided out dude?

Cops don't stop crimes(most of the time). Cops fill out paperwork. Disarming a society just leads to government control and the people having no way to "fight the power". Look at any regime operated country - what is the common theme? An unarmed populace. I read somewhere that even over in europe where gun control went in fairly recently, that knife attacks basically fill their place now.

You can't stop violence. But you can give people the ability to defend themself. And most importantly - fight against tyranny if need be. You know... that thing where America broke away from the old world? Yea... that...

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Difference between a knife attack and a gun attack though is that you can actually potentially win in an assault with a knife even if completely unarmed. (Although the odds aren't amazing if someone knows where to hit with the knife)

Gun vs. unarmed - you lose, period.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll bite here. Serious question for you then... Guns exist. Criminals will find a way to get a hold of them in a number of ways (smuggling, stealing, etc). How does average joe protect ones self from criminals with guns? How about an average joe protecting himself from some roided out dude?

Cops don't stop crimes(most of the time). Cops fill out paperwork. Disarming a society just leads to government control and the people having no way to "fight the power". Look at any regime operated country - what is the common theme? An unarmed populace. I read somewhere that even over in europe where gun control went in fairly recently, that knife attacks basically fill their place now.

You can't stop violence. But you can give people the ability to defend themself. And most importantly - fight against tyranny if need be. You know... that thing where America broke away from the old world? Yea... that...
Dunno if you missed any NRA talking points. Maybe could have crammed "only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" in there.

iannis

Musty Nester
Charge 2 dollers per bullet.

I dunno. It does seem like some regulation on themanufactureandimportof handguns is in order. Rather, those existing regulations could be strengthened. Just from a practical standpoint. Guns don't last forever they're just like any other tool. We don't have to solve this problem tomorrow, as long as we attempt to address it. Incremental, effective, change. Fuck your Hope, I want Results.

But then you're also talking about cutting jobs. Real blue collar jobs with a real dollar impact. So be ready to have that conversation.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Yeah, what your saying puts guns into the hands of people. Go and watch Honey Boo Boo or whatever, and tell me you think guns should be readily available to everyone. It isn't my job to arm myself to protect me and my family from crazy people with guns.

And let me throw another thing into the mix. I don't think I could level a weapon at another human being and pull the trigger. It's just not something I think I could do. Go ahead and mock and be incredulous all you want. We're all different.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah, what your saying puts guns into the hands of people. Go and watch Honey Boo Boo or whatever, and tell me you think guns should be readily available to everyone. It isn't my job to arm myself to protect me and my family from crazy people with guns.

And let me throw another thing into the mix. I don't think I could level a weapon at another human being and pull the trigger. It's just not something I think I could do. Go ahead and mock and be incredulous all you want. We're all different.
The problem with that is it really doesn't matter what you want to do, it's what you need to do. If your neighborhood turns into Detroit-lite, you either need to move or be prepared for at least burglary.

I think the real problem is can we and should we flag these idiots with obvious signs of instability? I mean, is there a history of 99% of people posting murder manifestos on youtube and crazy shit like that but turning out completely normal and they really ARE wackjobs or are we just not able to do anything about them despite the fact that someone/I] generally knows who they are.

Have there really been any mass murders where someone didn't come out going 'totally saw that one coming'?

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Many of those fat stupid redneck's on Honey Boo Boo are felons, are they not? That would in fact prevent them from owning firearms.