The Zionists are whining thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Talked to a guy in Israel tonight on Ham radio. He didn't mention anything about it and was just everything is normal I guess. He was running a contest to get as many out of country contacts as he could.

iannis

Musty Nester
16 year old girl live tweeting tonight when her neighborhood was getting bombed. Really changes the perspective on the conflict hearing about it first hand from civilians living through it.

Guess what (Farah_Gazan) on Twitter
I dunno. Maybe it did in Vietnam. And maybe it does if you don't understand what is actually happening or what the word "War" means. And if it does then good. Everyone shouldlookand be horrified.

And then the real challenge, because moral outrage is as easy and useless alone as it is necessary to the whole, is to calm down, look for direct sources (in this we have a clear advantage over all our fathers), and learn about this conflict. Really learn about it. Shit that a sane person does not want to know or even think about.

iannis

Musty Nester
Makes you think what a conflict like WWII would be like with today's tech and instant world wide communication by the masses.
It does seem like in a way twitter and youtube DO make it harder to to maintain a war. Not really to fight one. But it makes it a lot harder to maintain one when any old asshole gets to voice an opinion. Which, obviously, they should. I'd say that's a good thing.

But I think that might also be optimistic. It seems like war evolves. Not much of a photo op in a drone attack. The human cost of it is to your enemy... so any protest is tainted by the visual image of "hey, check it out, we're winning". And with a war like WW2, when the population itself is convinced of the necessity... I think it's just as likely you'd see pictures like the ones coming out of Israel. With schoolgirls painting hateful slogans on ordinance. I'm have no doubt that they would stage photos like that, but I seriously doubt that they need to.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's more sad is the reply to her from a 17 year old boy saying "we are Palestinians ! It's our land ! We will return". So you have the next generation of both sides(Yes I know tweet is from palestinian side, but its pretty safe to assume its the same thing on israel side) thinking "its ours" and thus fighting over that piece of land will continue.

Social media is crazy good for propaganda, since so much is instantly taken as fact from any source, in the minds of people just reading tweeters/fackbook post. Hell just reading some comments on pictures from that twitter account is crazy.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
16 year old girl live tweeting tonight when her neighborhood was getting bombed.
Why has she put a penis in candles as her header image? Is that some sort of feminist protest?

rrr_img_72275.jpg

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That's impressively nativist.

As far as social media's impact on war, I seriously doubt Hitler could have even come to power if social media had existed in something like its present form. But hypothetically if twitter and facebook were around then, there would have been some pretty serious and justifiable moral outrage over the firebombings the allies did. Might have stopped them all together. The whole concentration camp thing, both in Germany and in the US, would have been a lot harder to pull off.

But really in a lot of ways WW2 was the birth of media's impact on war, with both sides employing wide scale nationalist propaganda, something that had not been done before. I have a collection of old WW2 era magazines that my grandfather kept and it is amazing the lines of horseshit that were being spewed to keep people focused on the task at hand. Of course, if something like fox existed at that time there would have been non stop kill all Japanese and FDR is a weak yellow sympathizer liberal shit going on around the clock....

Badabidi_sl

shitlord
I'd have been highly interested in seeing how MSNBC justified Vietnam. Maybe we could have even had cellphone footage of the Mai Lai Massacre as it happened. How exciting. Kill yellow, stop red.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I honestly don't think that Israel believes that it can kill its way to victory either. I honestly don't. That you can find Israelis, highly placed and influential, which would claim that they not only can but must kill their way to victory seems inevitable and obvious.

I think they do believe that to get to the understanding that has to exist in order for a lasting peace -- to get there will require killing. I believe that because when you listen to their statesmen that is what the statesmen say. And when you look at the applications of their violence, the general pattern supports the rhetoric. The general pattern.

And I don't think I'm the only one listening. I think Hamas also listens, and has formed a counter-strategy. Its a bizzare strategy in that it is most effective when it is most self-harmful.

I think you see a situation where the Israeli leadership values the life of the Palestinian (the life, not the living conditions, the life itself) more highly than the Palestinian leadership. And that is horrific. That attitude has to change. Hamas has to be given something to lose. Because right now, for now, they have obviously decided that being slaughtered is preferable to living. Which is why some would argue, "Well then lets indulge them".

The point where I very much do agree with you is that I don't understand how anyone hopes to accomplish that through isolation and oppression. I don't think it's a long term plan, and this situation is a long term crisis. If you listen to them speak many of the Israeli leaders say exactly the same. And then some will say fuck it, kill them all, God will know his own. It's not some kind of monolithic conciousness.

They need another moderate swing. But it's not like it is here. That shit isfucking dangerous. You start preaching trust and your sister gets beheaded. Something like that could make a man feel foolish.
They're stuck in a cycle where they have the initiative, and are completelyunwilling to cede any concessions whatsoever. as long as Israel stays in it's cycle of "mowing the grass" in regards to gaza and continue's to act like a 17th century colonial power it will poison them, and their thinking which is shown in places like gaza and apparently what they want to do with iran. Israel basically exploited the killing of 3 kids to "mow the grass" in gaza once again and destroy infrastructure in gaza and punish the civilians, they pretty flagrantly incited hamas by arresting hundreds of their leaders in the west bank on a flimsy pretext which caused escalating retaliation until they got cause to do what they've always done for decades. Hamas is an idea and you can't kill an idea, atleast without going genocidal.

In Gaza: A War In The Mideast Every Four Years? | Cognoscenti

An especially pernicious metaphor of increasing prominence in the Israeli strategic vocabulary is "mowing the grass." I first encountered it some years ago in a private meeting of American and Israeli security analysts considering the problem of Iran's nuclear program.

Most of the Israelis in the room advocated military strikes against Iran's nuclear sites. An American colleague pointed out that a military strike would set back Iran's program no more than two to four years, and that one can't bomb the knowledge of how to build a centrifuge out of the heads of Iranian engineers.

To this, a former Israeli official replied, ".we'll just bomb them again and keep bombing them every four years, like mowing the grass." The Americans in the room were aghast. A war in the Middle East between regional powers every four years?

It was a shocking suggestion, partly because no modern country has ever adopted a strategy of active, continuous warfare, and partly because it was offered in such an off-hand manner. In the years since that meeting, I have frequently heard Israeli analysts advocate a "mowing the grass" approach to Iran.

Today, that metaphor is being been applied anew in a disturbing context: Gaza. Israel has invaded Gaza to quell Hamas's rocket attacks, and, now, to destroy its tunnel networks. Civilian casualties are mounting, and Israeli analysts are talking about "mowing the grass" to explain their strategy.
What does Israel want out of the Gaza offensive? - Vox

For most of Israel's existence, conventional Arab militaries, of countries such as Egypt and Syria, were its greatest threats. Think the three wars Israel fought against its Arab neighbors in 1948, 1967, and 1973.

During that period, Israel believed that Arab states wouldn't willingly accept Israel's continued existence, making an immediate peace deal impossible. Israel also knew it couldn't coerce its neighbors into signing a peace treaty by force. So the country developed an alternative approach to managing a threat it believed could not be immediately solved. Israel would have to live with a certain level of threat, it believed, but would use its military to occasionally weaken those threats and ensure they didn't ever reach truly existential proportions. The point of Israel's strategy was to ameliorate its security problems until a political solution to the threat from Arab states could be found.

"Israel's military doctrine has long been to cause damage to its enemies, without being able to take them over completely," Brent Sasley, a professor at the University of Texas at Arlington who studies Israeli politics, says. "Because it never could."

Israel applied this strategy to militant groups as well. "Israel has suffered from a terrorism problem since 1948," Daniel Byman, a professor at Georgetown, writes in an exhaustive study of Israeli counterterrorism's successes and failures. In Byman's assessment, Israel's approach to individual wars has "border[ed] on brilliant." Yet it "often blunders from crisis to crisis without a long-term plan for how to solve the problem once and for all." That's because, in Israeli strategic thought, many of these problems just can't be fully solved by military force.

The applies today. "Israelis see themselves as being under siege," Sasley says. "Hamas, like any of these other previous threats, needs to be managed. You can't defeat them completely. They need to be managed."

Obviously, Israel recognizes that the threats from groups like the Gaza-based militant group Hamas aren't the same as the Cold War-era threats it faced from Arab invasions.So it's developed a new version of its long-held threat management strategy, which is often called "mowing the grass." It's a pretty creepy term, as it implies that periodically killing people is the same as keeping your lawn groomed. But that's the basic analogy: Hamas, like grass, can't disappear, but it can be regularly cut down to size. And, like mowing the grass, it's implied that this is a routine that will be continued forever.

Faltigoth

This may make me a bad person, but I totally agree with that strategy. They will never win over the hearts and minds of the Arabs/Palestinians. Never. So if the answer is kill them every few years, while making damn sure they never have enough of an economy to build up any kind of organic force that can be a challenge (in the case of the Palestinians at least), well...it is pretty terrible, but then being on the losing side of wars always sucks.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Germany and Japan would probably beg to differ on that account.

Faltigoth

Germany and Japan would probably beg to differ on that account.
It worked out for them because they accepted they were beaten, took the offers to help rebuild their devastated countries, and moved on without launching a decades-long guerrilla war.

Don't see that happening in Gaza.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
It worked out for them because they accepted they were beaten, took the offers to help rebuild their devastated countries, and moved on without launching a decades-long guerrilla war.

Don't see that happening in Gaza.
They also had their civil rights and right to exist protected by the occupiers, along with the rebuilding of their infrastructure, which is the same thing the Russians did recently to the Islamic chechnyans they defeated in a long bloody war, cleaned up the government a little massively invested in chechnyan infrastructure now a few years later chechnyans are much more amiable to the Russians and are even fighting for them in eastern Ukraine. Sometimes called "transformative occupation" you have to work on winning a side over and working with its people, even though the allies did denazify Germany they did reinstate many ex nazis into government, same with the Japanese leaders.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Germany and Japan also had to be almost obliterated to get to the point of "peace". Japan took two nukes to the face, and even as Russian soldiers were razing and raping Berlin, Germany still held out to the bitter end. This despite the fact that they didn't even believe that they were going to Paradise when they died.. They had to be entirely disassembled and rebuilt anew for the most part, and this included re-education for a generation of brainwashed Germans/Japanese. Also (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) they were at their core mostly secular cultures.. "Mowing the lawn" is basically a triage strategy to manage the problem, because the alternative would be major warfare and a huge loss of civilian life a la Japan/Germany. Could Gaza be turned around via a WW II style Marshal plan? Possibly, but nobody (including Israel) has the stomach to get there.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It is an interesting thought that if Israel had the same level of firepower and technology their fights with Gaza could be much more destructive on both sides, with hundreds of thousands of dead soldiers/civilians, and if Israel had a decisive victory Gaza might be less able to resume fighting in 5-10 years. But obviously it's not preferable or suggestive.

One question I've always had, is when Israel gets rocket'd and Hamas is linked to it, why don't they drone/air strike the Hamas leaders? It seems like they go after the soldiers and lieutenants but not the leaders. Why is that?