Theater Chain Death Watch? Chapter 11s inc

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Lol at "beloved theater business." If Hollywood really cared about theaters they wouldn't have spent the last several decades fucking them in the ass without lube, forcing theaters to charge $6 for a box of Sour Patch Kids that costs $1.50 in the grocery store.

Now suddenly Hollywood gives a shit about theaters. Boo fucking hoo.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Cybsled

Theaters making their money on concessions isn’t new. That has been the case since the early 20th century and why popcorn is the main theater treat (low cost allows for big markup)

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
We went to see Tenet at the local Imax last night. They sold two tickets, two beers and two popcorns so it wasn't a total bust for AMC.

imax.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
To be honest I hope the entire theater industry dies globally. Not that I won't feel bad for the workers, but I want Hollywood to be basically destroyed so all the rich liberal "actors" can lose all their money, fame and followers. They sit in mansions spouting equality to all the poors who can't feed themselves with govt assistance. After the industry lies in ashes, it can be reborn with a sensible pay structure and these fuckers can make $30 an hour and buy their own lunch. Or be replaced by AI driven holograms.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Cybsled

To be honest I hope the entire theater industry dies globally. Not that I won't feel bad for the workers, but I want Hollywood to be basically destroyed so all the rich liberal "actors" can lose all their money, fame and followers. They sit in mansions spouting equality to all the poors who can't feed themselves with govt assistance. After the industry lies in ashes, it can be reborn with a sensible pay structure and these fuckers can make $30 an hour and buy their own lunch. Or be replaced by AI driven holograms.

You're focusing on a small segment of Hollywood and missing the bigger picture

Hollywood being destroyed only does 2 things

1) It craters a massive segment of the economy. You're focusing on overpaid actors and studios crying poor to hide profits, which are legitimate issues. What you are ignoring is the entire support structure for Hollywood: Tradesmen, electricians, artists, programmers, musicians, tailors, etc. You know, all the people who actually make the movies and sets and special effects possible. Take a look at the credits for a movie: Actors make up like 2% of the credits, the other 98% are everyone else who did the shit besides acting.

2) It just lets China or India or some other country basically step in and fill the niche left by Hollywood dying. Grats, now instead of movies trying to please China so they can access the market, you now have China making the entire fucking movie.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

1) It craters a massive segment of the economy. You're focusing on overpaid actors and studios crying poor to hide profits, which are legitimate issues. What you are ignoring is the entire support structure for Hollywood: Tradesmen, electricians, artists, programmers, musicians, tailors, etc. You know, all the people who actually make the movies and sets and special effects possible. Take a look at the credits for a movie: Actors make up like 2% of the credits, the other 98% are everyone else who did the shit besides acting.

2) It just lets China or India or some other country basically step in and fill the niche left by Hollywood dying. Grats, now instead of movies trying to please China so they can access the market, you now have China making the entire fucking movie.
yeah, as much as i hate rich retarded celebs who are out of touch with the people who got them there. i dont want the movie industry to collapse. i still love movies, i just want these assholes to stop being so full of themselves, i want them to eat humble pie , shut their fucking mouths and go back to making me forget they are people and let me imagine them as the characters they portrayed. this shit has completely spoiled huge vasts of my favorite movie libraries. i used to think that when a favorite actor such as Nimoy or Rickman died that a piece of my childhood went with them. but now i think its just the opposite. now i think its better that they died and let me still have those good memories of them in my life instead of having to see the bile they spewed on social media and making me hate them. like wtf, your job is pretending, who ever fucking told you that you had to show me your true worthless self? i didnt need to see that shit.

Cybsled

Conversely, you can just ignore them. As you pointed out, they are celebrities. We elevate them to positions of import, when in centuries past they would be considered lowest of the rungs lol

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Conversely, you can just ignore them. As you pointed out, they are celebrities. We elevate them to positions of import, when in centuries past they would be considered lowest of the rungs lol

in order to do that, i would have to ignore all politics and then ignore all talk about my favorite films, games and TV shows. then ignore how much of this garbage ruined TV and movies. unless i throw away my TV, radio, phone and cut internet. its impossible to ignore.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
We went to see Tenet at the local Imax last night. They sold two tickets, two beers and two popcorns so it wasn't a total bust for AMC.

I hit up a Drive-In last week. This is a drive in that I have not been to before and it was awful. Was for Tenant which might be the worse film in history to watch at a Drive In that does not now wtf it is doing when broadcasting the sound over radio. Music/effects was way loud, dialogue too quiet, was constantly turning the volume up and down.

Anyways, was only maybe 3 or 4 cars in the whole place (they have two screens). And was in a ghetto part of Tampa. (fun lan drive in). Conessesion were limited to popcorn and candy only, no fresh pizza, burgers, etc like the other drive ins ive been to. How they are still in business is beyond me.

Tenant was hilariously bad in that environment.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I hit up a Drive-In last week. This is a drive in that I have not been to before and it was awful. Was for Tenant which might be the worse film in history to watch at a Drive In that does not now wtf it is doing when broadcasting the sound over radio. Music/effects was way loud, dialogue too quiet, was constantly turning the volume up and down.

Anyways, was only maybe 3 or 4 cars in the whole place (they have two screens). And was in a ghetto part of Tampa. (fun lan drive in). Conessesion were limited to popcorn and candy only, no fresh pizza, burgers, etc like the other drive ins ive been to. How they are still in business is beyond me.

Tenant was hilariously bad in that environment.

That sounds fucking miserable! Do the drive ins still have like a speaker outside your window, or is there something you can put inside? Or does it transmit to a radio station? I've never been able to goto one. Also, no legitimate food is bullshit. Popcorn is an OK snack but its not filling or satisfying. Burgers, chicken tenders, fries, etc, or gtfo.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
That sounds fucking miserable! Do the drive ins still have like a speaker outside your window, or is there something you can put inside? Or does it transmit to a radio station? I've never been able to goto one. Also, no legitimate food is bullshit. Popcorn is an OK snack but its not filling or satisfying. Burgers, chicken tenders, fries, etc, or gtfo.

In cent. FL there are a total of 5 drive-ins within a hour or so of each other (all of them west and northwest of Orlando).

The two closest to Tampa (and the most ghetto) no longer have any outdoor speakers at all, and the crappiest food. You are forced to sit in your car and listen on the radio or bring a portable radio if you want to sit outside.

The other three are in smaller towns and a FAR better experience. You can sit in your vehicles and listen over the radio or you can sit outside on lawn chairs (this is what I prefer) and listen either over loudspeaker if you sit by one or those ancient car window speakers if you sit next to one of those. These three also have a extensive concession stand with very reasonable prices. They are also do more than show movies, they do outdoor concerts and also rent out to things like school events (graduations, dance recitals, etc) and do special events like all night horror movie marathons and the like. They are also mostly white with a community/family feel to them. A throwback to the "good old days" where people would chat with strangers at the concession stand or the people sitting at the communal seating area and what not.

Anyways, I encourage everyone to seek out whatever local drive ins are left in their areas and give them a try, especially with weather turning cooler and more pleasant. Its awesome to sit out under the stars and watch movies on a big screen. Just got to go to the ones with the right demographic, because as we all know everyone is downwind of that, experience wise.

-Bring mosquito wipes or spray, just in case.

-If your theater does not have outdoor speakers, bring a portable radio and bring comfortable (in my case full recline) lounge/beach chairs to be super comfortable in outdoors while you watch.

-Don't be a douche and bring a ton of your own food in, or if you do at least buy concessions from them too. The ones I regularly go to charge like 12 bucks for a large homemade pizza full of toppings and 6 bucks for a jumbo popcorn. They are not raping you on food, and this IS how they make most their money. Some will charge you $10 to bring your own food in, but that $10 gets you a $10 voucher to use at concessions, i.e. just ensures you buy some food from them, which is fair.

-don't forget some blankets if it goes cooler where you live at night.

-Go on weeknights and it will be very uncrowded. Many even offer discount tickets or a free small popcorn on slow nights like wed or tue. But ticket prices are never expensive, highest i've seen in 7 dollars a person. And at all the ones Ive been to (except that ghetto tampa one last week) that ticket is for the double feature, not just one movie. Its almost always two movies back to back each screen, unless its a marathon night of like 5 or 6 movies, but i've never stayed past two movies because i get zzzz sleepy.

-Take your kids, because if you think the big theater chain experience is "dying" you best believe drive-ins will too. See it before its gone.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>

I'm not ignoring the damage to the infrastructure supporting Hollywood. I know it's there. When the money goes the people will leave and find work elsewhere. They can move. Hollywoodnis a support mechanism for Liberal California. At its core it is everything that is wrong with California. In much the same way all those green people there want to eliminate fossil fuels and the gazillion jobs associated with it. Thats how I feel about Hollywood.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Drive-ins are from a bygone time in our society's history. Therefore they must be a relic of racism.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

Really not possibly to ignore them when they use nearly every new film or show to push their ideology.

Goatface

not gone to our local drive in this year. they did up the price to $8, but can buy 6 for $5ea. anyway, neighbor went and said it was terrible during this summer. kids running around unchecked, people being loud, leaving their park lights on etc

Drive-ins are from a bygone time in our society's history. Therefore they must be a relic of racism.

grew up in the rural south and oddly drive-ins were not segregated. before integration the 2 closest towns had 3 theaters, 2 were closed before i can remember and other closed when i was very young. 2 were super small, like only as wide and deep as a normal store, while the big one was 2 stores wide, but they all had balconies that were for blacks only.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

They are allowed to broadcast on FM on a limited basis. Basically can't exceed ~200ft of coverage. Some use multiple transmitters on different freqs depending on size.

Last edited: