Thieves Oil

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
homeopathic...actually did work
Opinions officially invalid. Have fun believing in nonsense. For future reference this board likes actual science, not bullshit. You trust anecdotes as much as hard evidence? GTFO.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hey, I'm as skeptical as anyone on most of this shit and healthy skepticism is good, BUT I also trust the actual experiences/anecdotes that people have with things which is all I was looking for and this became a philosophical debate over nothing. As an aside, this is what the premise of this goddamn message board is based on, anecdotes about their experiences with video games (among other things).
Fun while playing a video game is at least partially subjective, medicinal effectiveness is not.

You seem to be a bit lacking in the critical thinking department. Are you sure you "decided" you didn't want to help sick people anymore, or it was more that med school flunked you?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
oBeSwTK.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So do you believe Chiropractic services is also a crock of shit?
Yes. Most of chiropractic is utter bullshit. True believers in that crap reject the germ theory of disease, for christ's sake. It probably does help with some lower back pain and perhaps some other joint ailments, but that's about it.

Chiropractic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no good evidence that chiropractic is effective for the treatment of any medical condition, except perhaps for certain kinds of back pain.[10][9] Generally, the research carried out into the effectiveness of chiropractic has been of poor quality.[77][78]
There is a wide range of ways to measure treatment outcomes.[79] Chiropractic care, like all medical treatment, benefits from the placebo response.[80] It is difficult to construct a trustworthy placebo for clinical trials of spinal manipulative therapy (SMT), as experts often disagree about whether a proposed placebo actually has no effect.[81] The efficacy of maintenance care in chiropractic is unknown.[13]

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
My father suffers from a pinched spinal nerve and slipped disc from sitting on a wallet in his back pocket for like 40 years while he worked, and chiropractics helped resolve that without surgery, but it was a physician prescribed chiropractor and the actual procedure involves low level electric stimulation of the surrounding muscle tissue, not spinal manipulation.

They basically run a small electric charge through the muscles which forces them to relax, relieving pressure in the region, reducing swelling in the area. Its not a permanent solution, either, about every year or so it still flares up and he has to go back in for a few weeks for the same treatment.

It was just an alternative to having invasive surgery.

But the foundational premise of chiropractics, that the spine can become misaligned and throw off the bodys energy distribution, and manipulation of vertebrae relieves these subluxations and cures the body through restoring proper energy flow is complete horseshit nonsense.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've also had family that benefits from chiropracty. But it's one dude up who is helpful, there are others that are not helpful. And yep, just like Hodj's dad... the treatments are not corrective ones. They have to be reapplied every so often. Which isn't a huge mark against it IMHO -- there are situations like that in real medicine too. Sometimes it's just better to deal with a symptom if it's erratic.

For my dad, he's got a fucked up shoulder. And that joint... surgeons don't like that joint. It's a fucked up weird joint. But that chiropractor is able to trick it back into usefullness and it'll stop aching him for a few months. A couple of days might be placebo. I don't think that's true of a couple of months.

Hey, if it works it works. That one guy is good at dealing with shoulders. I don't have any personal experience with accupuncture, but i've heard similar stories. Depends on the practitioner. Which makes it more of an art than a science. Aspirin does not depend on who gives it to you.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I had a chiropractor office in San Diego that also did in house massage therapy and it was all billed to insurance. You saw the dude and he did the "adjustments" and then you went in the back to get an hour massage. You could get 12 a year.

I can't find one in my area here in North Carolina. I did it just for the massage, he did get my joints to crack and who knows what benefits that had but the massage afterwards was amazing. The wife and I would both go in monthly.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Can't stretch with a slipped disc though.

Can barely move/can't move at all when you get that shit.

Its pretty awful from what I understand. Super intense pain.
So go to a physical therapist, not a con artist?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Did you miss the part where

1: it was physician prescribed and
2: they utilize specialized equiptment involving electrical shocks to reduce swelling?

Not all aspects of modern chiropractics is nonsense.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Wait, people go to chiropractors for reasons other than to get aligntments/adjustments? I'll believe that those work (as long as you correct your faults that lead to said alignment issues and whatnot in the first place after your adjustments (aka fixing posture, stretching, etc.)).

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Wait, people go to chiropractors for reasons other than to get aligntments/adjustments? I'll believe that those work (as long as you correct your faults that lead to said alignment issues and whatnot in the first place after your adjustments (aka fixing posture, stretching, etc.)).
You have this exactly backwards. Alignments/adjustments are complete horseshit and do not work. That is the practice of treating "subluxations" via spinal manipulation. Subluxations do not occur, that is a medically proven fact, and therefore "Treatments" designed to correct them are complete horseshit.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Its 100% sham "profession".
No, the premise of treating subluxations, which the field was founded on were quackery, but since they now incorporate other physical treatments, and those treatments are sound, this is demonstrably false.

You should probably just stop talking since you keep missing the point that a medical professional specializing in spinal conditions was the one who prescribed the treatments and recommended the chiropractor to my father at the time as an alternative to invasive surgery which was costly, with a long recovery time, and other potential complications that arise from treatments such as fusing vertebral discs together.

At no time did his treatment involve spinal manipulation or attempts to "adjust" or treat subluxations, so no quackery was involved. The treatment is a form of electrical stimulation which relaxes the muscle tissue in the area, allowing the region of the herniated disc to reduce in size, thus relieving the pressure on the nerve that is being pinched, which resolves the pain and relieves the symptoms.

As you can see from this image, a herniated disc occurs when the intervertebral disc bulges out from between two vertebrae and puts pressure on a nerve. This is a fairly common condition, particularly in the lumbar vertebrae, that occurs as people age, particular if they sit a lot for their job. When this occurs, it can press upon a nerve, leading to pain, numbness, and other secondary effects in limbs, as well as reducing flexibility. Often medical professionals opt not to operate to resolve this issue, but rather go the exact route that my father was recommended to take at the time, which is the use of electrical impulses to relax the muscles in the area, gradually reducing the swelling and withdrawing the disc from pressing on the nerve. In fact, this is one of the most common treatments for said condition.

rrr_img_119632.jpg

There's literally nothing quackery about it. Chiropractics didn't invent this procedure. They simply apply it. Therefore the position you've taken that this is a form of quackery similar to chiropractic attempts to resolve "subluxations" is simply a position formed from your lack of understanding of the actual issue and procedure.

http://www.aans.org/patient%20inform...ed%20disc.aspx

Treatment

Fortunately, the majority of herniated discs do not require surgery. However, a very small percentage of people with herniated, degenerated discs may experience symptomatic or severe and incapacitating low back pain, which significantly affects their daily life.

The initial treatment for a herniated disc usually is conservative and nonsurgical. (Your doctor may prescribe bed rest or advise you to maintain a low, painless activity level for a few days to several weeks. This helps the spinal nerve inflammation to decrease.-bedrest not recommended)

A herniated disc frequently is treated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication if the pain is only mild to moderate. An epidural steroid injection may be performed utilizing a spinal needle under X-ray guidance to direct the medication to the exact level of the disc herniation.

Your doctor may recommend physical therapy. The therapist will perform an in-depth evaluation, which, combined with the doctor's diagnosis, will dictate a treatment specifically designed for patients with herniated discs.Therapy may include pelvic traction, gentle massage, ice and heat therapy, ultrasound, electrical muscle stimulation, and stretching exercises.Pain medication and muscle relaxants also may be beneficial in conjunction with physical therapy.
This is from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons.

Proper procedure was followed, no quackery was involved.