Thor: Love and Thunder (2021)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The other problem is that there is no underlying theme. In Phase 1, each solo movie had a tie to the larger Infinity War end goal. RIght now, its a dude. They should have transitioned to Secret Wars right off the bat, laying a clear path.

I could care less about Hercules. That reveal was so bad. What WOULD have been great is a Dr. Doom Easter Egg leading into FF and prepping Secret Wars. Handled correct, Secret Wars could be bigger than Infinity War. But that is looking truly doubtful.

There doesn't need to be an underlying theme.

It's cool and all, but if a movie can't stand on its own and people only feel obligated to watch a shitty movie so they can understand what's happening in a less shitty movie, then fuck that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I think the sad truth is that they know they can make shitloads of money off whatever they produce, so we get all pumped but they don’t give a fuck and just release whatever and know the money is going to pour in.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the last suicide squad was streets ahead of the first suicide squad, but it still had a lot of issues with it, so let's not pretend it's on par with the good MCU movies. and as far as the stuff that has come out of marvel lately, they are COMPLETELY different issues.

the mcu at this point is just paint by numbers: the movie. we expect a certain level of excellence from marvel that is impossible to maintain, frankly. but then we can't help but nitpick minor things that if they were in other movies we'd completely ignore.

but i agree, peacemaker was awesome

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There doesn't need to be an underlying theme.

It's cool and all, but if a movie can't stand on its own and people only feel obligated to watch a shitty movie so they can understand what's happening in a less shitty movie, then fuck that.
the problem is phase 4 MCU films and d+ shows are trying to link with something bigger, but its different every time. you might say, well good, each shows has a underlying arch that leads to the next thing for their own storyline, but no. some of these guys are Avengers and its stupid to have Avengers fighting their own villains with no help from the rest of the team. unless i missed something and The Avengers have been disbanded after Tony died and Cap left. is Fury ever coming back to Earth?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
the problem is phase 4 MCU films and d+ shows are trying to link with something bigger, but its different every time. you might say, well good, each shows has a underlying arch that leads to the next thing for their own storyline, but no. some of these guys are Avengers and its stupid to have Avengers fighting their own villains with no help from the rest of the team. unless i missed something and The Avengers have been disbanded after Tony died and Cap left. is Fury ever coming back to Earth?

I think they disbanded in Civil War and only came back to fight Thanos.

But that's not the problem with them. The problem is they're woke garbage.

The early marvel movies would still have been good even if their Mcguffins weren't infinity stones. It makes them better, but won't make something shitty into something good

• 3Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
In Phase 1, each solo movie had a tie to the larger Infinity War end goal.

Wasn't the first appearance of Thanos not till Avengers end credits? - the "fine I'll do it myself"?

Arguably the first "phase" of MCU was introducing the characters and building up to Avengers. First movie to introduce an infinity stone, which was probably a hint of things to come re Thanos, was Captain America.

Fadaar

That guy
Wasn't the first appearance of Thanos not till Avengers end credits? - the "fine I'll do it myself"?

Arguably the first "phase" of MCU was introducing the characters and building up to Avengers. First movie to introduce an infinity stone, which was probably a hint of things to come re Thanos, was Captain America.

kinda funny when you think about it, a somewhat throwaway character in Red Skull ended up being instrumental in not one but two infinity stones

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think the sad truth is that they know they can make shitloads of money off whatever they produce, so we get all pumped but they don’t give a fuck and just release whatever and know the money is going to pour in.

They'll make money, but they make far money when the product is actually good.

No Way Home made almost 2B in a time where a lot of places still had mask mandates and people were less willing to go to a movie theater.

Multiverse of Madness probably wont even hit 1B.

That's a shitload more profit by making it good vs just mailing it in

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
And they're all shit
They apparently are learning the hard way why the Kirby expanded universe (i.e. Cosmic Marvel) and the Marvel style of "Gods" are both relatively minor players in the Marvel mythology in terms of popular characters and such over time...

Chunky Kat was a disappointment too.
This... so much this... This was the saddest thing in the movie to me. "You know Jane's going to die right?... Yeah.. but look.. those are double chins they're hiding on her..."

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They apparently are learning the hard way why the Kirby expanded universe (i.e. Cosmic Marvel) and the Marvel style of "Gods" are both relatively minor players in the Marvel mythology in terms of popular characters and such over time...

This... so much this... This was the saddest thing in the movie to me. "You know Jane's going to die right?... Yeah.. but look.. those are double chins they're hiding on her..."
fatter Kat=fatter tits?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
fatter Kat=fatter tits?
The problem is that her magificantly pendulous sweater puppies were just fine, near the edge of that "diminishing returns" window for making them fatter. Meaning you'd just be getting the fatter "all that that involves" along with them. They had her wrapped up in layers of clothing like the little brother in A Christmas Story trying to hide it.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Not that any of the ladies in this movie were worth showing off, but of course the only one getting even close to naked was Thor, who gets the full monty. Imagine if Zeus stripped one of the females naked and all the dudes in his court started fanning themselves, blushing, and pointing. Equality indeed.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

tarb

Trakanon Raider

It was in Avengers 1 but he just smiled at the camera,
"fine I'll do it myself" was at the end of Ultron.

• 2Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
This was, in a one word review... tedious.

I suspect it's Waititi's equivalent of the Phantom Menace, where he has unlimited budget, and is surrounded by yes men that think everything he says is a great idea.

Valkyrie actually seemed in physical pain at how bad some of her lines were. Jane and Thor were fine, pretty much the usual, I'd actually give credit to Hemsworth for how well he managed to keep up with wildly shifting gears to whatever movie genre a particular scene was.

Bale was actually pretty good, although in some ways that made it even worse, it was like he wandered onto the wrong set - imagine the Dark Knight Joker showing up for an episode of the Adam West batman show.

I was really annoyed at Thor painfully and groan-worthily spelling out the obvious with the wish. It would have worked *SO MUCH BETTER* if Gorn just fucking did it and left Thor feeling like a dumb asshole.

I have to say though, if the climactic final battle being fought by overexcited five year olds armed with princess tiaras and rabbit plushies isn't peak Waititi quirk, I am scared to find out what is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

estimates have it opening with $44m less that DS MoM and $11m lower than early projections, but up $21m over Ragnarok's opening. also estimate budget is $70m more than ragnarok and $50m over MoM.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
opening week take, for a movie like this, is probably significantly less relevant than what week 2 will be. i think we are finally getting to a point where the masses are tired of the bs that the mcu has become, and if not that, then definitely the woke nonsense that, from all accounts, isn't even actually in the movie, just all over the press junkets. i know we here at foh aren't exactly a good representation of the masses, but i can't think of ANYONE i know that would hear one of the lead actors refer to their movie as "the gayest movie" of the franchise and be anything but weirded out by it.

it was a weird question and had no choice but to have a weird answer... on top of that it's the kind of question that the answer is going to alienate everyone regardless of what your opinion on the matter is. either you're the kind of person who is really excited about a movie being gay, in which case it's absolutely going to let you down. i haven't seen it yet but there's no way it can match the sentiments of that answer, even if it's a TECHNICALLY true answer (so far the gayest mcu movie is strange 2 because of the 5 seconds of screen time that america's parents have). on the other hand, you're a normal person and even if you don't really care about someone's sexuality, it's being advertised as SUPER DUPER GAY!!! i couldn't care less who you love, i don't want to hear about it. that goes for straight people just as much as gays.

anyway, my point is just that opening week is always going to be huge for mcu movies, at least for a long time... the die hard fans will see it opening week, heck i saw dr strange 2 opening week just so i didn't have to avoid the internet since people just cannot help themselves when it comes to spoilers. but it's the following weeks where word of mouth is going to better inform people if this is the kind of movie they want to see or not.

• 2Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm usually a MCU fanboy but I can't give this anything much. I nearly walked out of this movie and have only done so in one other movie in my life. The comedy was so poorly delivered and never let up that it was barely tolerable. It hurt my opinion of the character and I don't get why Thor is and has been the comic relief character? I'm ok with some of the comedy and they had some good moments in Ragnorok, End Game, and yeah the GotG makes a lot of that work but Gorr is a great story/character plus we're battling terminal illnesses, dealing with loss, etc. that they really sacrificed a lot for the sake of whatever this style is.. was... whatever.

It was like a Mel Brooks parody of a Marvel movie. That may be too generous... maybe a poor SNL skit that happened to last 2+ hours. I'm still stunned. My family also felt the same way. My oldest son also wanted to leave several times.

Maybe that's all a bit harsh. I'm at a loss for words. lol. How it's 81 RT Audience blows my mind.

On a positive note...
Gorr was solid. Christian Bale had creepy moments, almost Health Ledger joker-esque moments.
Visuals were amazing, especially the shadow realm.
Necrosword... awesome! Missed opportunity though.
Some of the comedy was good but was done so much it was painful. Take 90% of it out and the 10% would have been better.
Really cool visual reveal of a cosmic being (won't say who just yet)

I would place this at the very bottom of my MCU list and I really, really hate to say that....

velk

Trakanon Raider
but i can't think of ANYONE i know that would hear one of the lead actors refer to their movie as "the gayest movie" of the franchise and be anything but weirded out by it.

it was a weird question and had no choice but to have a weird answer... on top of that it's the kind of question that the answer is going to alienate everyone regardless of what your opinion on the matter is. either you're the kind of person who is really excited about a movie being gay, in which case it's absolutely going to let you down. i haven't seen it yet but there's no way it can match the sentiments of that answer, even if it's a TECHNICALLY true answer (so far the gayest mcu movie is strange 2 because of the 5 seconds of screen time that america's parents have). on the other hand, you're a normal person and even if you don't really care about someone's sexuality, it's being advertised as SUPER DUPER GAY!!! i couldn't care less who you love, i don't want to hear about it. that goes for straight people just as much as gays.

You are reading too much into the connotations there - think more 'The most Fabulous' of the MCU movies if that makes it clearer.

• 1Picard

worldx

Trakanon Raider
Definitely felt like I was watching 2 different movies at once. Tone felt so off.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but goddamn this thing was all over the place. Humor was fine when it was in the right spots, but so many times it would just ruin what should have been serious moments. What a waste of Bale, though, they needed more of him. For cutting so much out, how could they not have had just a couple of scenes during transitions where it would swap over to the Bale point of view showing him killing some gods. I don't know shit about the comics, but it really feels like this could have been a villain that was built up over multiple movies. Get hints here and there of gods are suddenly dying, there's some cult building up now wanting to bring the end of the gods, who's behind it? How is he killing them? etc. Okay movie, but really just feels bad thinking about how much better it could have been done.

Also, if the rock race only has males...then it doesn't have either males or females. There's no point to naming a sex of a single-sex race... Fucking stupid.

• 2Like