Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I didn't watch this trailer yet, but the movie is coming fairly soon (44 days to be exact). I'm done watching trailers at this point until after I watch it on opening night. Really hyped about this one.

There's isn't a lot in it that hasn't been in the previous trailers. There's one shot of Surtur that is new and a shot of The Grandmaster while he's announcing the start of a fight that hasn't been shown before. I think that's it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The music really sells this one, I get goosebumps everytime I see the trailer.

That new chick is fucking smoking hot (Don't know the chars name, sorry).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Spoiler free, very generalized discussion.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I just can't take Collider seriously after RLM took a giant steaming shit all over them

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Royal

I just can't take Collider seriously after RLM took a giant steaming shit all over them

I don't take RLM seriously enough to not take anyone else serious on their account. To each their own on that front though.

Regardless, there is one thing said in that vid that speaks all for itself; Marvel is dropping the review embargo on Oct 19th. That's 2 weeks before the release. That speaks volumes as to how good they feel about this one.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I don't take RLM seriously enough to not take anyone else serious on their account. To each their own on that front though.

Regardless, there is one thing said in that vid that speaks all for itself; Marvel is dropping the review embargo on Oct 19th. That's 2 weeks before the release. That speaks volumes as to how good they feel about this one.

Forgive my ignorance, do you mean Marvel thinks it's awesome or a stinker? I'm praying for awesome.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Forgive my ignorance, do you mean Marvel thinks it's awesome or a stinker? I'm praying for awesome.

Usually when a studio is worried about the quality of their upcoming movie, they put an embargo on reviews right up until release, so that people will be tempted to go see it based on trailers but won't have a chance to see actual professionnal reviews that might tell them it sucks before they go.

A company lifting the embargo two weeks ahead of release means they're certain of how good their movie is, based on test audiences usually, and are instead counting on critics to drive even more people to go see it based on positive reviews.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider

They're giving previews almost a month before release, and allowing reviews 2 weeks before release, I'd say they think it's awesome, they've been told it's awesome and are very confident in it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Others have already answered this for you and I'll just echo what they have said. A studio that thinks it has a stinker on it's hands will often try to hold the review embargo as late as until the day of release (though they usually get called out on it in the media so it has to be really bad for them to try it anymore) or at least until a day or two before. And they get that impression mostly from test audiences (which if you don't know how that works they're generally not invitation only affairs. They're usually put together by studio reps standing out in front of the theater inviting people to sit in the screening in exchange for signing an NDA and giving written feedback). They often don't even have finished special effects in place yet though Ragnarok has seemed to be ahead of the curve on that front and that probably helped generate the positive response.

Dropping an embargo 2 weeks out is fairly unusual. So yes Marvel has a high degree of confidence in this one.

• 2Like

Royal

Many of the reviews I have seen have said the movie has Taika Waititi written all over it, particularly in it's humor, in much the same way that GoTG had Gunn all over it. If you're not familiar with his previous work, I'd check out What We Do In The Shadows to get a sense of if it will be your cup of tea or not because his sense of humor is often quirky and a little quaint at times. And it's a pretty good movie in it's own right. It is a faux documentary though and not a narrative.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really can't imagine the humor being exactly the same. WWDitS was kind of low key, darkish, Australian humor mixed with Office style awkward bits. Ragnarok looks flashy, bright, and the kind of quippy snappy stuff Marvel movies have at their best. I loved WWDitS but I really don't know that it will be representative of this movie :p

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Maybe my memory is failing me here but is that the first jerking off reference in an MCU movie?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Royal

Starlord's Jackson Pollock joke in GotG1.

Yeah that's close. I mean it's a sex joke and a pretty high brow one at that. High enough to fly over plenty of heads, even many older ones.

And I forgot about Drax in Vol 2. That was fairly obvious.

• 1Like