Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Billion dollar box office for this movie - will blow Justice League out of the water

As good as it's looking right now I would be surprised if it beats JL. I'd be doubly surprised if it breaks a billion world wide. The Thor movies have not done big numbers as Marvel movies go and in spite of this one looking to be very different from the first two it's still gonna carry that baggage for the more casual movie goer. It's opening week is currently tracking at between $90 and $100 million. It would need to open at double that to have a decent shot at a billion. I think Marvel would be thrilled if it ends up doing GoTG numbers (about $750 million).

Royal

Was probably trying to leverage the blowback that movie was getting well before release into eyes on the page by shitting on a beloved original that virtually no one wanted a remake of.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
As good as it's looking right now I would be surprised if it beats JL. I'd be doubly surprised if it breaks a billion world wide. The Thor movies have not done big numbers as Marvel movies go and in spite of this one looking to be very different from the first two it's still gonna carry that baggage for the more casual movie goer. It's opening week is currently tracking at between $90 and $100 million. It would need to open at double that to have a decent shot at a billion. I think Marvel would be thrilled if it ends up doing GoTG numbers (about $750 million).

yeah you're probably right

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Going to see that on thursday... (yes, we have a 9 day headstart, it's releasing tomorrow in France)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

You're probably right, but it sure seems the hype about this Thor movie is so much greater than previous ones. It's got fucking Thor, the trailers look amazing, the "80s feel", etc. People at work sure seem to be real excited about this one!

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

You're probably right, but it sure seems the hype about this Thor movie is so much greater than previous ones. It's got fucking Thor, the trailers look amazing, the "80s feel", etc. People at work sure seem to be real excited about this one!

I feel like it will do well, what with Stranger Things blowing people away and a LOT of people wanting nostalgia kicks, this movie just FEELS fun from all the trailers.

Combine that with the norse aspect and I feel like it'll do really well outside of the US as well. Maybe, if the movie is as good as the trailers suggest and not just hot-takes of the best scenes pushed into trailers and the rest being a dull super-hero movie, the film will do amazingly well in the US and that will push it in the foreign markets.

I know the movie looks good to me and I am pretty sure my wife wants to see it for Loki and Jeff Goldblum as well as it looking decent.

Royal

It's gonna have a good haul, no doubt about it. I think we dump on DC so routinely around here though it's easy to forget that those movies make a shit pile of money to. As bad as BvS was it still made over $870 million and JL will have people looking forward to more Wonder Woman to help it get back some of that lost luster.

Royal

A recurring mention in some of the general reviews I've seen is that there are some pretty big moments, in terms of their broader implications for the MCU, that happen in this movie. So a heads up if you're thinking about taking a peak at some of the more detailed reviews that will start cropping up after this rolls out overseas this week. I understand their strategy but Marvel really should stop allowing so much time between the international and domestic releases. A week is a long time to duck out of social media just to avoid getting spoiled.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Thor movies never had a Hulk.

True enough.

I still doubt the addition of Hulk will combine with any regression that a DC ensemble movie might have from BvS to make up a $200 million+ differential though. JL is introducing some new players to the DC cinematic world itself.

And some reviewers have mentioned that Hulk is not in the movie as much as the trailers lead you to believe.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
True enough.

I still doubt the addition of Hulk will combine with any regression that a DC ensemble movie might have from BvS to make up a $200 million+ differential though. JL is introducing some new players to the DC cinematic world itself.

And some reviewers have mentioned that Hulk is not in the movie as much as the trailers lead you to believe.
From the trailers seems like Chris hemsworth is channeling post ragnarok Thor(comics) when it felt like he was Ultimate Thor, but he is not no hammer/one arm Thor, which is basically emo Thor.

Thor has had 2 shitty Thor movies and partner parts in Avengers 1+2. They've figured by now Thor sucks as just Thor, you really need a good main cast for Thor to work off of, cuz Thor will always only work as that fish out of water, out of touch guy "thoust drinkest thy mead, without the nector of the gods and call it beer!!!", so if they do a good Trio of Loki + Banner. It's gonna work.

Royal

Will this be the best of the Thor movies? I think most definitely.
Will it make more money than the previous Thor movies? I'd guess easily.

But my point was that it's probably not going to beat JL at the box office and if it does it's not going to be by some vast sum. This is getting a lot of comparisons to GoTG and I think that is probably a good estimator of what kind of box office Ragnarok will have. If it ends up doing GoTG numbers ($773 million) or even Vol 2 numbers ($863 million) that's still less than BvS did which is probably the best indicator absent any reviews of what JL will likely bring in. Now if JL starts getting trashed prior to release all bets are off.

Malkav

French Madman
I'll just say it is the best Marvel movie since The Avengers.
It was everything I wanted and more.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'll just say it is the best Marvel movie since The Avengers.
It was everything I wanted and more.
What is the minimal Marvel Movie watched required to enjoy this movie?

i'm thinking only avengers 1+2, don't even need Thor movies.

Confirm please