Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I'll also say that all the characters were great.
Thor and Hulk were great.
Loki was great.
Hela was badass.
Even though I was not sold on black Valkyrie, she was also really great.
The Grandmaster was awesome.
Tessa Thompson ain't hard on the eyes though.

Of all comic movies slated for release, Ragnarok is the one I anticipate. Justice League is floundering along with each promo while Thor keeps gaining traction.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
For anyone who has watched all of the trailers and clips you'll notice there is one very conspicuous scene that has been digitally redone since that first trailer. Waititi addressed that explaining that the scene just didn't work as well the way it was originally set up, that the noise and commotion of the original setting was detracting from the emotional impact it was supposed to have, so they digitally redid it.

Guessing you're talking about the hammer breaking scene? I noticed in the first few trailers it looks like they are in an alley or street on earth, then in the most recent trailer they are in a field.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Guessing you're talking about the hammer breaking scene? I noticed in the first few trailers it looks like they are in an alley or street on earth, then in the most recent trailer they are in a field.

According to recent interviews, they changed that scene very late in post-production. It was supposed to happen in an alleyway not far from the retirement home in NYC, but then he decided the dramatic scene prior to it should have a peaceful and beautiful setting. I prefer it that way too.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

That's the one.

spronk

FPS noob
Thor holding impressively strong on RT at 96% with 119 critics, looking forward to thursday night. Only bummer is I booked the fan event (6pm local start time) but its gonna be in a regular theater, 3d, and not the IMAX screen which seems kinda stupid given the ticket price was $25, more than the regular IMAX ticket price. But you get a coin and popcorn.

I'll still watch it 3-4 times though over the next 2 weeks, in regular IMAX/Dolby no 3D.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Probably the best Marvel has done to date. Shit was hilarious from start to finish.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Probably the best Marvel has done to date. Shit was hilarious from start to finish.

Yea, I can't see this being one-upped any time soon. I'm gobsmacked - the only disappointment I had was the very limited amount of post-credits stuff.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just got back... I enjoyed it. It's definitely better than the lower to mid their marvel movies that we have ranked here before but I don't think it's quite Top 3 or maybe even 5 but maybe. It's a must watch. Really funny (though forced at moments but it's not bad), good action, you get to see a lot of really good comic book characters, and the movie has some great scenery/visuals.

It's a great a ride. Go see it. I'm not sure I would give it a 96 but it's now lower than a 88 but probably in the lower 90's. Good stuff. I hated we got spoiled on a few things with the trailers as I think the Hulk entrance would have been so much better if it wasn't beaten into our brains for months.

Few questions...
Did Hulk's skin get pierced? Was this a result of the watering down of Hulk or was the hell hound that strong?

I'm guessing Hella is the stand in for Death?

I have to give it to Marvel for not being scared of going after some of these powers but I'm not sure I quite got them down in the MCU. So i'm guess Thanos and Hella are the most powerful. Then we have Hulk, Thor, Vision, and Dr. Strange? Not sure from there but i'm guess Black Panther is near the top with Scarlett Witch? GotG and Cap then the rest of the Avengers?

It was hard for me to tell just how strong Thor is at this point. Loki was obviously out classed by Dr. Strange. Hulk didn't quite seem right to me. He seemed stronger in other films but I guess he's surrounded by people of a completely different level in Thor: Ragnorok. Curious who will be the Adam Warlock stand in for Infinity War. Guessing Strange or Vision?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'd still say the ensemble stuff outranks these types, but god-damn this movie was fantastic. Top tier for sure. The theme-change for "Thor" movies was welcome, and not even really noticed, with how they've expanded the universe and with the intro of GotG and Dr Strange.

Director did a fantastic job. And his rockman Krogan(whatever) character was funny as shit.

spronk

FPS noob
Just got back as well, 10/10 for me I absolutely loved it. A lot more funny than I thought it would be, some fantastic colors and special effects and planets. I wanted more and more and more, coulda watched 2 more hours of Asgard and the other planet. Every character was fun to watch. Some great cameos. I need to watch 2 or 3 more times to put it into my Marvel ranking but its top 5 for sure.

Two post credit scenes, one as the credits roll and one at the very end after all the credits.

I saw it in 3D, it actually looked good and the colors were good and there were a few decent 3D effects. Gonna watch it sunday in IMAX, no 3D to see if I notice a difference.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I don't really like Marvel movies too much, would you say this breaks the mould at all in terms of that? Would a non marvel fan enjoy this movie?

• 1Barf

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Just got back... I enjoyed it. It's definitely better than the lower to mid their marvel movies that we have ranked here before but I don't think it's quite Top 3 or maybe even 5 but maybe. It's a must watch. Really funny (though forced at moments but it's not bad), good action, you get to see a lot of really good comic book characters, and the movie has some great scenery/visuals.

It's a great a ride. Go see it. I'm not sure I would give it a 96 but it's now lower than a 88 but probably in the lower 90's. Good stuff. I hated we got spoiled on a few things with the trailers as I think the Hulk entrance would have been so much better if it wasn't beaten into our brains for months.

Few questions...
Did Hulk's skin get pierced? Was this a result of the watering down of Hulk or was the hell hound that strong?

I'm guessing Hella is the stand in for Death?

I have to give it to Marvel for not being scared of going after some of these powers but I'm not sure I quite got them down in the MCU. So i'm guess Thanos and Hella are the most powerful. Then we have Hulk, Thor, Vision, and Dr. Strange? Not sure from there but i'm guess Black Panther is near the top with Scarlett Witch? GotG and Cap then the rest of the Avengers?

It was hard for me to tell just how strong Thor is at this point. Loki was obviously out classed by Dr. Strange. Hulk didn't quite seem right to me. He seemed stronger in other films but I guess he's surrounded by people of a completely different level in Thor: Ragnorok. Curious who will be the Adam Warlock stand in for Infinity War. Guessing Strange or Vision?

They introduce adam Warlocks cocoon at the end of GOTG2 so he is for sure in one of the infinity war movies.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Most similar Marvel movie would be GotG1 I think, which is now tied with Ragnarok for my favorite Marvel movie. This is what GotG2 should've been imo.

• 1Solidarity

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gotg1 was better. I would put it under Gotg, iM1 no questions asked. Miek and skurge were ruined if you read Planet hulk or followed Thor. Im surprised more nerds are mentioning throwing big characters off to the side

Last edited:

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Run of the mill Marvel.

Ok action and effects. Tons of jokes. Little to no emotional impact. Entertaining to watch but mostly forgettable.

• 9Picard
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
10/10. Funny as hell. Lots of one liners. Going to see it three more times this week already. :>

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 29 reviews so far.

Reading a few, it seems that it is the funniest super hero movie ever. It's filled with jokes. It would seems that Cate Blanchett as Hela and Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie are amazing.

As if I wasn't looking forward to it already. :)
Just got home from seeing this in IMAX 3D. I loved it, and now I'm finally able to read this thread again. I stopped back on September 11th (huh). The movie was hilarious. Ant-Man was funny, but this was way more so. I was giggling like a kid when I saw Dumb & Dumber during this. Outstanding. I put this in my top 5 now. I've really liked so many Marvel movies, though. It's hard to accurately rank them. I'll have to watch them all again some day. Oh well, the blu-rays are collecting dust on my shelf.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
They introduce adam Warlocks cocoon at the end of GOTG2 so he is for sure in one of the infinity war movies.

Yeah but I thought they said we wouldn't see Adam Warlock in any of the Infinity movies so that's a major power hole in the storyline. So just curious who is going to make up for that chess piece in the storyline. Maybe I've got all my MCU stuff messed up. Before I go see a movie I typically do a refresher and end up getting my MCU and comic stuff all screwed up.