Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Did Hulk's skin get pierced? Was this a result of the watering down of Hulk or was the hell hound that strong?

I'm guessing Hella is the stand in for Death?

I have to give it to Marvel for not being scared of going after some of these powers but I'm not sure I quite got them down in the MCU. So i'm guess Thanos and Hella are the most powerful. Then we have Hulk, Thor, Vision, and Dr. Strange? Not sure from there but i'm guess Black Panther is near the top with Scarlett Witch? GotG and Cap then the rest of the Avengers?

It was hard for me to tell just how strong Thor is at this point. Loki was obviously out classed by Dr. Strange. Hulk didn't quite seem right to me. He seemed stronger in other films but I guess he's surrounded by people of a completely different level in Thor: Ragnorok. Curious who will be the Adam Warlock stand in for Infinity War. Guessing Strange or Vision?

If Thor is king Thor now, he's much more powerful than Hulk, even if the movies are going to homogenize him. The strength rankings are probably Thor>Hulk=Vision=Strange (This is more situational, Hulk usually but depending on the opponent), Scarlet Witch (Really not sure, her movie version is essentially a weaker Loki/Strange)=Iron Man>=Spider Man=Black Panther, Captain America, Winter Soldier ect.

For everyone talking about the power gap, I think they left themselves really open to filling it with the existing characters....

Thor doesn't have his hammer, and he's still got all the powers from it. So he'll either be using his father' spear or the Ultimate Mjolnir, either will probably be a boost for him to give him that homogenized "King Thor" power--so not nearly as strong as the comics but a boost. I suspect Wakanda coming out into the world has an effect on Iron Man, And Captain America's tech, as well as the other avengers. (They mention specifically in Spider Man that there is a new prototype shield for Cap.)

Also suspect IM's tech will find its way into BP's suit as well as to be a nod to the whole theme that BP seems to be setting up--that Wakanda is stronger working with the rest of the world, and the rest of the world is stronger with Wakanda, something to show that technology is being shared in both directions. Also Spider Man's spider sense was developing in the trailer, and Hulk is more intelligent as Hulk--a lot of them are poised for considerable evolutions in their power in response, most likely, to their defeats in Infinity War 1--wouldn't be at all surprised to see them run and lick their wounds and then have them all work together to create this new stuff as a symbol of their different strengths.

In addition there is Ms Marvel and they did show off Adam Warlock. Thanos also doesn't have all the stones.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
If the whole point of destroying Asgard was depowering Hela, wouldn't that also depower Thor and Loki (and Heimdall if his power isn't the Soul Stone)?

That'll make Thor just have his Asgardian super strength and durability, being on par with combat trained Asgardians like Valkyrie? I'm guessing that Thanos will go to the ruins of Asgard for the Tesseract and rescue Hela and fall in love with her, later using the Gauntlet to bring Asgard back which will repower Thor and as king give him the Odin Force?

Power Rankings are a little odd and depend on the situation. Captain America beat regular Iron Man, hulkbuster Iron Man bearly beat Hulk, Thor beat Hulk, Hulk would obviously beat Captain America, Spiderman/Captain America & Iron Man/Thor drew but they weren't fighting seriously.

Thor > Hulk > Spiderman > Ant Man > Captain America > Ironman > the others with Batman prep time? The rest are all trash tier, possibly even GotG. Ant Man could probably beat anyone if he was smart and ruthless, but he isn't .

On the magic side we have had less fights but Scarlet Witch beats Vision and Dr Strange seems seriously overpowered and beat Thor & Loki at the same time.

Dr Strange > Scarlet Witch > Vision > Thor etc?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If the whole point of destroying Asgard was depowering Hela, wouldn't that also depower Thor and Loki (and Heimdall if his power isn't the Soul Stone)?

That'll make Thor just have his Asgardian super strength and durability, being on par with combat trained Asgardians like Valkyrie? I'm guessing that Thanos will go to the ruins of Asgard for the Tesseract and rescue Hela and fall in love with her, later using the Gauntlet to bring Asgard back which will repower Thor and as king give him the Odin Force?

Power Rankings are a little odd and depend on the situation. Captain America beat regular Iron Man, hulkbuster Iron Man bearly beat Hulk, Thor beat Hulk, Hulk would obviously beat Captain America, Spiderman/Captain America & Iron Man/Thor drew but they weren't fighting seriously.

Thor > Hulk > Spiderman > Ant Man > Captain America > Ironman > the others with Batman prep time? The rest are all trash tier, possibly even GotG. Ant Man could probably beat anyone if he was smart and ruthless, but he isn't .

On the magic side we have had less fights but Scarlet Witch beats Vision and Dr Strange seems seriously overpowered and beat Thor & Loki at the same time.

They have never indicated that any Asgardians other than Hella were powered by Asgard itself. And if that were the case Thor would have been effectively nerfed whenever he was on Midgard for anything there. And his lightning call during the gladiator scene shows that distance from Asgard doesn't really affect him, as it was implied that Sakaar was about as far from Asgard as you could get.

I've never been into the a > b >c debates because most fights between superhumans would hinge far too much on circumstance.

I don't think the MCU version of Scarlet Witch is actually magic based as much as she's a "mutant/Inhuman" with reality/quantum manipulation combined with some form of telepathy/mind control. But yes Dr Strange should be top of the magical heap since he's both the sorcerer supreme AND pimping a socketed infinity stone in what is obvious a legendary neck slot item.

• 1Worf

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

power rankings vs the avengers is going to be goofy because outside of hulk, no one is trying to decimate the other. so you get fights like cap vs ironman and it's two very close friends wanting to win, but not cripple the person. PLUS winter soldier is with cap, so it's uneven. i also think the scarlet witch vs vision is a bit unfair as vision was very clearly not fighting. he was just asking nicely for her to stop. strange never fought thor and loki, only using 2 teleportation spells on loki. thor never lifted a finger.

as far as thor's strength, the movie made a pretty direct plot hole with the power coming from asgard. odin DOES say that thor's power comes from asgard, but implied that while hela was powered by physical asgard, thor was powered by asgard the people. it was a very small comment, but odin definitely said it.

finally, as soon as thor lost his eye, i got incredibly excited for king thor. i was waiting the whole rest of the movie for him to lose his arm.

j00t

I'm gonna see this tomorrow. Is 3D IMAX worth it or should I just do regular IMAX?

i saw it regular and was very happy with it. i've heard from here and a few other sources that 3d doesn't take away from the film, but it doesn't particularly ADD anything either. so i would say it probably depends on what you normally think of 3d.

IMAX, if you have the option without 3d would probably be great. tons of great colors and scenes that i think would really lend well to that type of screen

fris

Vyemm Raider
i just remembered the comiccon trailer for Infinity Wars

Thor is floating in space and gets stuck to the windshield(why do spaceships have windows?) of the Guardian's ship. I don't remember him missing an eye in that scene.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
i just remembered the comiccon trailer for Infinity Wars

Thor is floating in space and gets stuck to the windshield(why do spaceships have windows?) of the Guardian's ship. I don't remember him missing an eye in that scene.

He had both eyes for a Ragnarok scene in the trailer ("What are you the god of again?") but in the movie they CGI'ed out the eye because of misdirection/reshoots.

I imagine either the scene is cut or they will CGI out the missing eye.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You actually have the option of IMAX without 3D? If so, you suck.
There's only 1 regal theater on the island. They have a psudo IMAX screen (they converted the big theater).

For Thursday's show, the first one was 7pm for a 2D showing, then 10pm for 3D, then 1am for 2d again.

I hope that Marvel isn't going to stop making 3D, because damnit, I like it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yes, they have IMAX with or without 3D here. so I'll do IMAX without tomorrow then.

Thanks for the heads up. I know that answer "it doesn't add much" is the usual answer but I don't want to miss out on that one time it actually matters, if ever. lol

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So Avatar. And even Passengers. Those were both heavily 3D. I heard that Gravity was another that really benefited from it.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
In comics it always really came down to want angle they wanted to take their power and their understanding of them. Iceman is a great example. One issue he makes snowballs and throws them at people, next he's able to travel the world on his ice slide, and finally he can freeze the water within your cells/tissue/whatever. I think they are taking the angle of no one really understanding their full potential which also leaves them room for growth. A number of characters base their abilities on the current tech or materials at the time. Thus you have a lot of room for IM, AM, Cap, BP, etc. to become stronger if needed.

I'm sure Thor doesn't quite understand what he has rolling around insight of him yet. Dr. Strange is becoming much more in tune with his powers which made allowed him to make short work of Thor and Loki. He simply out smarted them more so than overpower them. I think my biggest question is still Hulk and of course Ms. Marvel. Maybe Vision as well. It looks as if they have several trump cards but i'm going to guess it goes back to an earlier post. They're going to get their butts handed to them and then they're going to work together to win. I think Dr. Strange reviving someone (going to guess Cap) is going to be the rally moment where they believe they can win. I'm really hoping we get the Adam Warlock trump card but not sure where it will go. All of these movies have been awesome knowing that something bigger is coming. It's really exciting to think about all the options they have available to them. Hope they don't blow it but they really haven't missed too many marks as of yet.

j00t

In comics it always really came down to want angle they wanted to take their power and their understanding of them. Iceman is a great example. One issue he makes snowballs and throws them at people, next he's able to travel the world on his ice slide, and finally he can freeze the water within your cells/tissue/whatever. I think they are taking the angle of no one really understanding their full potential which also leaves them room for growth. A number of characters base their abilities on the current tech or materials at the time. Thus you have a lot of room for IM, AM, Cap, BP, etc. to become stronger if needed.

I'm sure Thor doesn't quite understand what he has rolling around insight of him yet. Dr. Strange is becoming much more in tune with his powers which made allowed him to make short work of Thor and Loki. He simply out smarted them more so than overpower them. I think my biggest question is still Hulk and of course Ms. Marvel. Maybe Vision as well. It looks as if they have several trump cards but i'm going to guess it goes back to an earlier post. They're going to get their butts handed to them and then they're going to work together to win. I think Dr. Strange reviving someone (going to guess Cap) is going to be the rally moment where they believe they can win. I'm really hoping we get the Adam Warlock trump card but not sure where it will go. All of these movies have been awesome knowing that something bigger is coming. It's really exciting to think about all the options they have available to them. Hope they don't blow it but they really haven't missed too many marks as of yet.

again, thor and dr strange didn't fight. strange and loki didn't even fight. he just teleported him twice. thor didn't lift a finger in any regards. strange invited thor over for beer. not sure why people are thinking strange took loki and thor out single handedly

spronk

FPS noob
^ that was an awesome cameo, as was the Stan Lee cameo

I saw it in 3D (non imax) and it was good, no color issues but not a whole lot of "whoah, this is in 3D!" moments either - a few though, which is more than most converted movies. I'd say go for it, its definitely the kind of movie you are gonna wanna see more than once. I'm seeing it again tomorrow in regular IMAX and then again next week in Dolby ATMOS Digital.

As a non (except for when a kid) comic book reader the powers stuff always cracks me up, superheroes constantly go way past their normal abilities all the time to defeat specific individuals. There is no consistent ranking over ever, its just whatever the story calls for. I remember being fascinated by that stuff as a kid though, vaguely recalling power classification tiers and stuff in trading cards and hero reference books. I wonder if Marvel is ever gonna do something like Secret Wars where that stuff came into play a lot more.