Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So of course Loki took the cosmic cube when he was in the vault...I mean how could he not have?

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So of course Loki took the cosmic cube when he was in the vault...I mean how could he not have?
Oh yeah; that’s a given.

Damn good movie. Easily the best Thor movie (by a *wide* fucking margin), and pretty fucking close to the top of the pile for Marvel movies in general. The only real criticism I have for it is that, while it nailed style, action, and humor, it never really hit the mark for scenes that were supposed to have an emotional impact.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Definitely best Thor movie yet but felt a bit wanting at the end, hoping they keep leaning into the sci-fantasy aspect as much as this did.

Few things did bother me:
BRB better be more then just a face, but who knows.
They clearly had no idea how to get Hulk to Sakaar and it made little to no sense with the vlog.
Post credits stuff was the weakest yet.
Killing the Warriors Three was absolutely stupid and ham fisted.
While the actress playing Sif had schedule conflicts to prevent appearing they just pretended she didn't exist in the film.

Last edited:

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I hope that Marvel isn't going to stop making 3D, because damnit, I like it.

I don't think they'll go full stop but IMAX did announce back during the summer that they plan on fewer 3D screenings going forward because the novelty has clearly passed for audiences in general and the demand for a return to normal screenings is on the rise. Of course that goes well beyond the Marvel movies.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think they'll go full stop but IMAX did announce back during the summer that they plan on fewer 3D screenings going forward because the novelty has clearly passed for audiences in general and the demand for a return to normal screenings is on the rise. Of course that goes well beyond the Marvel movies.

Here's hoping Avatar 2 doesn't bring it back, glad to see 3D dying especially as someone who wears glasses.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Oh yeah; that’s a given.

Damn good movie. Easily the best Thor movie (by a *wide* fucking margin), and pretty fucking close to the top of the pile for Marvel movies in general. The only real criticism I have for it is that, while it nailed style, action, and humor, it never really hit the mark for scenes that were supposed to have an emotional impact.

I thought the same about the emotional weight.
the death of the warriors three was clearly supposed to be a demonstration of hela's power, but because there wasn't any other scenes with them in this movie, I think most casual movie goers missed any significance. The group I went with had no idea who they were.

Then there's the problem with how durable asgardian warriors are... Thor gets rag dolled by hulk and doesn't have a scratch... So it doesn't feel like he's ever REALLY in harm's way. One of the reasons why I would have loved it if Thor lost his arm here. Could have been a great scene of donning the destroyers arm.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I thought the same about the emotional weight.
the death of the warriors three was clearly supposed to be a demonstration of hela's power, but because there wasn't any other scenes with them in this movie, I think most casual movie goers missed any significance. The group I went with had no idea who they were.
Yeah, the Warriors Three, but hell, even Odin’s death didn’t have a lot of weight. It didn’t really elicit much of an emotional response beyond a mental shrug and an “okay, that happened,” at least from me.

j00t

Yeah, the Warriors Three, but hell, even Odin’s death didn’t have a lot of weight. It didn’t really elicit much of an emotional response beyond a mental shrug and an “okay, that happened,” at least from me.

yeah that's true. it's weird because at the time i thought it was done well enough, odin's mindset at the time was very casual and he was ready to move on, and that thor and loki's response was appropriately emotionally muted from these two characters. but in retrospect, i didn't even remember that scene until you reminded me. mjolnir's "death" was even more emotional than anything else and that's something we all knew was coming.

i think one of marvel's flaws is too much reliance on humor to move the movies along. i'm not saying we need grimdark, but the movies are so littered with jokes that any drama feels like it's got kid gloves on

let's be clear here, i was enthralled from start to finish and i could've watched another 3 hours of this without fatigue but i feel like a lot of great moments are never realized

• 2Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
i saw it regular and was very happy with it. i've heard from here and a few other sources that 3d doesn't take away from the film, but it doesn't particularly ADD anything either. so i would say it probably depends on what you normally think of 3d.

IMAX, if you have the option without 3d would probably be great. tons of great colors and scenes that i think would really lend well to that type of screen

I've seen it in 2D and 3D and I would say the 3D does add something. It definitely doesn't make anything worse like some movies, but I thought it enhanced a whole bunch of the action scenes. Everything really popped and the colors were still just as vibrant in 3D. The first and last fights in 3D are worth the difference in price, let alone everything else in between.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Saw this last night and fuckin LOVED it!. The slows/stills were absolutely Michelangelo-esque. I mean Christ even the dual-wield gun scene on top of the corpses was great/eyeroll laughter type shit. My top 3 Marvel flick for sure.

WTF did this happen?!!!

Did anyone else notice they killed off The Warrior Three? WTF? WHY? Like they were just fuckin fodder! Really? I HATED Jeff Goldbloom's character. Just hated it. Or maybe the way he acted it? Didn't do it for me.
HATED HATED HATED that they made it seem like Thor could EASILY handle The Hulk at any time. That battle in the arena could have been more epic. They should have ripped that stadium down. I also hate talking Hulk. Not my thing.

9/10 for me. There were almost zero dull moments.

• 1Picard

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Saw this last night and fuckin LOVED it!. The slows/stills were absolutely Michelangelo-esque. I mean Christ even the dual-wield gun scene on top of the corpses was great/eyeroll laughter type shit. My top 3 Marvel flick for sure.

WTF did this happen?!!!

Did anyone else notice they killed off The Warrior Three? WTF? WHY? Like they were just fuckin fodder! Really? I HATED Jeff Goldbloom's character. Just hated it. Or maybe the way he acted it? Didn't do it for me.
HATED HATED HATED that they made it seem like Thor could EASILY handle The Hulk at any time. That battle in the arena could have been more epic. They should have ripped that stadium down. I also hate talking Hulk. Not my thing.

9/10 for me. There were almost zero dull moments.
That is essentially from the comics of old.

thorf2.jpg

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
$121m domestic, $427m worldwide opening weekend, breaking pretty much all expectations for it.

I think this will do even better than Justice League, crazy 2017 I don't think anyone expected Thor 3 and Wonder Woman to beat GOTG2 and Transformers.

• 1Solidarity

Homsar

So for all the beta ray bill fans, he was originally planed but the director didnt think it did him justice and is waiting to to introduce him later

• 2Solidarity

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I liked this one a lot. Plus, I’ve always had a crush for Kate Blanchett. When I saw her in that skin-tight outfit, my dick exploded out of my pants and punched a hole into the back of the head of the girl sitting in front of me. My wife was displeased.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

j00t

There is a Stan Lee cameo in every Marvel film, but having an AAA actor make a secret cameo was another level altogether
Technically it was 3 secret cameos...
Sam Niel played Odin and Luke Hemsworth played Thor

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel bad that I missed the Damon part of the cameos - I caught the other two...

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Damon and Neil were obvious to me, but I didn't catch Luke, was trying to figure out who it might be. He's not super recognizable to me though.

• 1Like