Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Malkav

French Madman
I just love how they just killed off the Retards Three.
Meanwhile, Sif was just missing lol.

I liked the nod to Skurge at the end, even if it was no Gjallarbru.

spronk

FPS noob
(massive?) spoilers for the movie but pretty funny if you've already watched the movie

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Saw it last night at IMAX 3D, absolutely loved it. Honestly I completely forgot that I was wearing 3D glasses, so either nothing really stood out, or it was fantastic. I would lean towards nothing standing out, as I never thought, "Woah, check out that 3D!"

I won't put this over a few of the Marvel movies in terms of overall favorite, but I know for a fact I will be watching this one many times in the future because it is fucking hilarious. You're literally laughing from the first minute of the movie. I expected it to be funny, but not this funny.

Definitely 9/10 for me. To be honest, I'm not sure what they could have changed to make it a 10 outside of specific fan-service for me only, and I'm having a hard time with an official order of my top movies now. This was so clearly different than every other one, even GotG, that I am having trouble placing it. Near the top is all I can really say.

A couple of observations that will spoil things, so don't read until you've seen it:

I knew the likelihood of my boy Beta Ray Bill showing up was near zero, but I still can't help being disappointed. This was probably the only spot he was going to show up in the near future, unless Phase IV really goes hardcore into the cosmic stuff, but even then it might take a few movies to set up the main characters or at least where the story is heading, and distracting with what will probably be a cameo or at most secondary character probably won't help any.

No infinity stone is interesting. Unless they really go all-in with the Wakanda stuff, I can't really imagine it showing up in Black Panther, and based on the movie lore there isn't anyone in Wakanda that *should* be able to hold it, let alone use it. Again, unless they want to give Black Panther significantly more weight than he should have, like making the whole panther protector spirit thing cosmic-level. Which I don't want, I want him to be Captain America/Winter Soldier level, and that's it. That's what he should be.

So that leaves it wide open as to who has it. Obviously Thanos could already have it, or someone we've already met doesn't realize they have it, but that last one sounds pretty dumb unless handled exceptionally well. Tons of possibilities here for who has it, clearly way more than I can list or even think of, but I'll go back to hoping that somehow they are misdirecting with Adam Warlock not coming around until GotG3. I mean, that's almost as small a chance as Bill showing up in this movie, I understand that. It would also necessitate a HUGE effort on the part of Marvel and all the actors and pretty much everyone working on it to keep it a secret, including the casting itself. So I know that's probably not what will happen, sadly. But I can hope!

Given that, I have to wonder how they'll introduce the final gem. I really hope it isn't just glossed over or that Thanos already has it. And does anyone think that Loki didn't grab the Cosmic Cube on his way out? Pretty sure Loki is literally incapable of leaving something like that behind.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Saw it last night at IMAX 3D, absolutely loved it. Honestly I completely forgot that I was wearing 3D glasses, so either nothing really stood out, or it was fantastic. I would lean towards nothing standing out, as I never thought, "Woah, check out that 3D!"

I won't put this over a few of the Marvel movies in terms of overall favorite, but I know for a fact I will be watching this one many times in the future because it is fucking hilarious. You're literally laughing from the first minute of the movie. I expected it to be funny, but not this funny.

Definitely 9/10 for me. To be honest, I'm not sure what they could have changed to make it a 10 outside of specific fan-service for me only, and I'm having a hard time with an official order of my top movies now. This was so clearly different than every other one, even GotG, that I am having trouble placing it. Near the top is all I can really say.

A couple of observations that will spoil things, so don't read until you've seen it:

I knew the likelihood of my boy Beta Ray Bill showing up was near zero, but I still can't help being disappointed. This was probably the only spot he was going to show up in the near future, unless Phase IV really goes hardcore into the cosmic stuff, but even then it might take a few movies to set up the main characters or at least where the story is heading, and distracting with what will probably be a cameo or at most secondary character probably won't help any.

No infinity stone is interesting. Unless they really go all-in with the Wakanda stuff, I can't really imagine it showing up in Black Panther, and based on the movie lore there isn't anyone in Wakanda that *should* be able to hold it, let alone use it. Again, unless they want to give Black Panther significantly more weight than he should have, like making the whole panther protector spirit thing cosmic-level. Which I don't want, I want him to be Captain America/Winter Soldier level, and that's it. That's what he should be.

So that leaves it wide open as to who has it. Obviously Thanos could already have it, or someone we've already met doesn't realize they have it, but that last one sounds pretty dumb unless handled exceptionally well. Tons of possibilities here for who has it, clearly way more than I can list or even think of, but I'll go back to hoping that somehow they are misdirecting with Adam Warlock not coming around until GotG3. I mean, that's almost as small a chance as Bill showing up in this movie, I understand that. It would also necessitate a HUGE effort on the part of Marvel and all the actors and pretty much everyone working on it to keep it a secret, including the casting itself. So I know that's probably not what will happen, sadly. But I can hope!

Given that, I have to wonder how they'll introduce the final gem. I really hope it isn't just glossed over or that Thanos already has it. And does anyone think that Loki didn't grab the Cosmic Cube on his way out? Pretty sure Loki is literally incapable of leaving something like that behind.
Sounds promising yo, tier 1 marvel then, confirmed?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

I'm almost certain that the theory the last (Soul) gem is in Heimdall, possibly unbeknownst to him, is true. The first post-credit scene was their freighter thing being approached by a much larger ship, which I figured to almost-certainly be Thanos. I'd imagine Infinity War opens up with him being like "hey guys, don't mind me, just gonna rip Heimdall's eyes out real fast, k thanks." Remember Thor's vision of Ragnarok in AoUltron had a milky-white blindish Heimdall, and that's sort of the only part of the vision that hasn't happened.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm almost certain that the theory the last (Soul) gem is in Heimdall, possibly unbeknownst to him, is true. The first post-credit scene was their freighter thing being approached by a much larger ship, which I figured to almost-certainly be Thanos. I'd imagine Infinity War opens up with him being like "hey guys, don't mind me, just gonna rip Heimdall's eyes out real fast, k thanks." Remember Thor's vision of Ragnarok in AoUltron had a milky-white blindish Heimdall, and that's sort of the only part of the vision that hasn't happened.
You could be right, but I almost feel like they should have given us a little more than that to go off of. Like at least showing Heimdall's eyes flashing in the credit scene, or something. Usually I hate when they do the eye thing, like when they let you know Mystique is impersonating someone and it makes no sense for their eyes to flash, but Heimdall's could have simply from the presence of Thanos or something.

But, you could be right of course, because otherwise how does the opening scene of Infinity War happen, assuming you've seen that spoiler?

I'll be disappointed if it is Heimdall though, just on a personal note. Maybe it is my Warlock angst coloring my perception, because I like Heimdall, but it just seems so dumb that one would be in plain sight (so to speak) like that. It kind of makes sense, him being able to see every single soul or however he worded it, but I'll still be disappointed...unless the scene where Thanos rips his eyes out is just mind-blowingly awesome, then I'll give them some props.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I was a bit let down mainly because I wanted more Planet Hulk. That's on me though. I really liked Cate and it was really good overall.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Was Awesome. Lots of funny scenes. Definitely up in the top 3 MCU movies. Can't wait for Infinity War.
I can't wait to hear Tony Starks one eye jokes about Thor.

Last edited:

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
absolutely fantastic. Easily tier 1 Marvel, right up there in the top 5, probably top 3. Everything in this movie was so well thought out. Story was excellent with virtually no down time. The quiet moments with Thor interacting with Odin were meaningful, emotional, and concise. The stuff they borrowed from Planet Hulk was integrated seemlessly with the Ragnarok storyline from the classic Thor comics. And I love that they leaned heavily on the color palette of the early 1980's comics with so much pink and yellow, some of the shots looked directly yanked out of the comic books of that time. Korg was a huge highlight.

• 1Solidarity

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Yeah but I thought they said we wouldn't see Adam Warlock in any of the Infinity movies so that's a major power hole in the storyline. So just curious who is going to make up for that chess piece in the storyline. Maybe I've got all my MCU stuff messed up. Before I go see a movie I typically do a refresher and end up getting my MCU and comic stuff all screwed up.

Who said? lol

Adam's in it, His name has already been said in the movies.

You might be thinking of the Silver Surfer who is can not be used as his movie rights are owned by Fox. That is a major power hole, however Marvel Studios has show us they have the strength to put their own twist on traditional stories.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The director of Guardians said that Warlock wasn't going to be introduced until Guardians 3. He wanted him for 2, but wasn't able to seamlessly introduce him with how much else was going on in that movie. So #3. And that's not due until 2020. Where as Infinity War #1 is 2018, and #2 is 2019.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was hoping Thor would bust out the Odin Force at some point. Maybe he'll gain it for Infinity War.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
You might be thinking of the Silver Surfer who is can not be used as his movie rights are owned by Fox. That is a major power hole, however Marvel Studios has show us they have the strength to put their own twist on traditional stories.

I expect them to use Captain Marvel to fill in a bit of the power void created by the absence of the Silver Surfer. And they'll likely utilize the other heroes in different ways from the comics to fill in the rest (Doctor Strange immediately comes to mind here). In the original Infinity storyline most of them were relegated to almost scenery status to play up how powerful Thanos was with the Gauntlet in tow. You can't have someone imprison all of the various cosmic entities then have them overwhelmed by a rush of Earth's finest. But the lineup of cosmics is pretty thin on the movie side so that isn't as much of a problem.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
You could be right, but I almost feel like they should have given us a little more than that to go off of. Like at least showing Heimdall's eyes flashing in the credit scene, or something. Usually I hate when they do the eye thing, like when they let you know Mystique is impersonating someone and it makes no sense for their eyes to flash, but Heimdall's could have simply from the presence of Thanos or something.

But, you could be right of course, because otherwise how does the opening scene of Infinity War happen, assuming you've seen that spoiler?

I'll be disappointed if it is Heimdall though, just on a personal note. Maybe it is my Warlock angst coloring my perception, because I like Heimdall, but it just seems so dumb that one would be in plain sight (so to speak) like that. It kind of makes sense, him being able to see every single soul or however he worded it, but I'll still be disappointed...unless the scene where Thanos rips his eyes out is just mind-blowingly awesome, then I'll give them some props.

I kinda figured Thanos would be there for the infinity stone Loki quite obviously yanked when he was resurrecting Surtur, there was one in the room right. Or else it would be under a pile of rubble and a bigass fire giant

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Saw this last night with the Mrs. and my gaming group. Synopsis of my review of the movie? It has earned Marvel Studios forgiveness for AoU.

Personally I think I enjoyed it more than any of the other MCU movies so far (just edging out IM1 for me, which my wife considers sacrilege since she holds GotG above all else and CA:TFA just behind that. Couldn't think of a character I didn't like, biggest letdown was the under-use of Karl Urban and that was overshadowed by everything else just being 80's buddy cop flick over the top awesome.

I was kind sad knowing that's the most of the Planet Hulk/World War Hulk storyline we're probably ever going to see in the movies as we have a perfect Banner/Hulk actor now but no drive for another stand alone Hulk movie.