Throne and Liberty (Formerly Project TL)

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Combat is apparently really bad. Locked in place tab target stuff where you can't move or damage stops. Melee are especially fucked.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Combat is apparently really bad. Locked in place tab target stuff where you can't move or damage stops. Melee are especially fucked.

Yeah I dont see how that is fun at all. Sure casters are somewhat use to it with cast times, but even they have instant casts to fill in gaps. And in a game with PVP where if you move you do zero dmg? How does a melee kill anything? They can just run forever and you cant do jack. Was watching a clip and the 2 people fighting were literally just standing facing each other right next to each other and just spamming attacks. Never moved once. Was hilarious and looked awful.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah saw a few video and this is looking absolutely awful. I expected NCSoft to have a good game plagued by p2w stuff, apparently its and awful and most likely plagued by p2w stuff.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is game is most likely going to be trash. Yet, I think I'll have fun exploring the world and leveling up. I'll just build a character that excels at auto-combat and play the game like a turned based auto battle game, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
How do you roll out that combat system in 2023?
Eh, I feel like it has some charm. It's a throwback to MMOs of old and I appreciate that. Probably not my cup of tea, but I'm glad games like this exist.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, I feel like it has some charm. It's a throwback to MMOs of old and I appreciate that. Probably not my cup of tea, but I'm glad games like this exist.

What MMOs of old? I played most of them(from EQ/AC on), and all the melee could attack while moving.

Even the game this was based on I thought, lineage and lineage 2, didnt have these issues.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
What MMOs of old? I played most of them(from EQ/AC on), and all the melee could attack while moving.

Even the game this was based on I thought, lineage and lineage 2, didnt have these issues.
UO and Runescape mostly.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Did you actually play L2? There is zero attacking while moving, and current L2 is a lot like TL.

• 1Barf

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
well I am glad I never played those, if melee is locked into standing still to do any dmg.
UO "melee combat", if you could call it that, was just autoattacks. You had to stop moving a little for the autoattack to fully play to hit stuff, but that just meant running at someone, stopping for like half a second for the animation to start, then moving to cancel the rest of the animation to reposition and what not. So I wouldn't say it was like that at all, but UO is also ancient shit. There was no melee skills back when I played(maybe they added that 10years in not sure). UO was very much about hybrid chars, and you had cast time on your spells, and you mixed melee at the same time, with melee allowing you to also cancel enemy casts, plus a bunch of weapon switching shenanigans to animation cancel and burst people down. There were pure melee chars but there were dumb ass shit relying on poison and fast attacks to prevent all casting but doing kinda meh dmg, just very consistent and "free" so you could sustain. Garbage for 1vs1 but good for team fights.

The combat was very simple, yet somehow deep due to the interactions between people and spellcasting and how damage would make your spells fail. That said, the combat was only semi decent when it involved PvP due to the rock paper scissor approach to spellcasting and melee attacks, it was absolute dogshit in pve since there was no reason to use all the fancy shit and melee was literally just autoattacking stuff to death.

Anyway in this case it looks pretty shit, plus the focus on pve means this type of combat is glaringly bad. It was one thing to have auto battle for afk grinding stuff in a game with standard combat, making your whole combat autobattling seems like a stretch.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you actually play L2? There is zero attacking while moving, and current L2 is a lot like TL.

I actually did. Maybe I just cant remember that far. Because it was forever ago. If I made a mistake, my bad. I did not play for long at all, so maybe if what your saying is true, was the reason I stopped. Usually though I do a mage class first in those types of games.

Cybsled

With the exception of really ancient shit that used isometric perspective/was effectively 2D, virtually every MMO EQ1 and onward allowed movement while melee attacking.

Like others stated, this reeks of mobile game ported to PC

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If I can't spam jump in melee combat why play the game?

• 1Solidarity

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
UO "melee combat", if you could call it that, was just autoattacks. You had to stop moving a little for the autoattack to fully play to hit stuff, but that just meant running at someone, stopping for like half a second for the animation to start, then moving to cancel the rest of the animation to reposition and what not. So I wouldn't say it was like that at all, but UO is also ancient shit. There was no melee skills back when I played(maybe they added that 10years in not sure). UO was very much about hybrid chars, and you had cast time on your spells, and you mixed melee at the same time, with melee allowing you to also cancel enemy casts, plus a bunch of weapon switching shenanigans to animation cancel and burst people down. There were pure melee chars but there were dumb ass shit relying on poison and fast attacks to prevent all casting but doing kinda meh dmg, just very consistent and "free" so you could sustain. Garbage for 1vs1 but good for team fights.

The combat was very simple, yet somehow deep due to the interactions between people and spellcasting and how damage would make your spells fail. That said, the combat was only semi decent when it involved PvP due to the rock paper scissor approach to spellcasting and melee attacks, it was absolute dogshit in pve since there was no reason to use all the fancy shit and melee was literally just autoattacking stuff to death.

Anyway in this case it looks pretty shit, plus the focus on pve means this type of combat is glaringly bad. It was one thing to have auto battle for afk grinding stuff in a game with standard combat, making your whole combat autobattling seems like a stretch.
The amount of exploitable combat shit that you could do back in the day with UO......

In Vas Por motherfucker......

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
With the exception of really ancient shit that used isometric perspective/was effectively 2D, virtually every MMO EQ1 and onward allowed movement while melee attacking.

Like others stated, this reeks of mobile game ported to PC
I wouldn't say that's entirely the case, action korean games also had animation locks on some of them, notably TERA. I think it works fine when you design your combat as an action game similar to Monster Hunter/Dark Souls combat stuff where animation locks act as balancing tool for your strongest skills, while other skills provide movement while attacking or have much faster animation letting you react more instead of comitting.

This from the videos looks like it's just standard cooldown based tab targetting combat but with movement lock for whatever reason, which sounds pretty terrible.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This is the game that plays for you right? Looks like a hard pass.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everyone is freaking out about the game playing for you. Check it first. It might be a system to get boring farming time in, and make the game feel more alive. Kinda like the afk fishing from Black Desert, or the minions in black desert going on missions. Or Swotor's minions. Very little real info due to asian, along with histronics of tubers who panties get moist the more they bitch gives very little good info.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The afk thing doesn't bother me. Most likely its not very efficient when compared to playing, but gives you some gain when not at the computer. Probably not a big deal.

The combat though, turns me off completely.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users