Throne and Liberty (Formerly Project TL)

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would be shocked if this suddenly released first half of 2023. I will give this game a try. It has a lot of new systems going for it that look interesting. It is interesting how much of this mirrors Ashes of Creation(or AoC mirrors them).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah not sure how I feel about auto combat. I’m sure this will be a short lived distraction like most of these Asian mmo’s, but hoping to have a little fun, and just thirsty for something new.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like the game is going to end up punishing you for turning it off because if you aren’t actively playing or auto farming 24-7 then you are missing out on shit…kind of like BDO’s retardation. Asian game design is hot fucking garbage.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I figure I will play it for a couple of months. It can have that system but that does not mean a person has to keep playing once they have reached a certain point. All that system does is assure players will not return without a valid catch-up mechanic. I do not mind the mechanic if it does not involve having to have multiple characters/accounts to be competitive. I am curious as to how BoTs will be handled. Every game seems to have to deal with them nowadays. The way Lost Ark was handled was an example of a poor way of dealing with them. It was the main reason I quit playing.

I am kind of hoping the PvP system might be one way they are dealt with.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Will this game have naruto-running Dark Elves with breasts larger than human heads? That's pretty much all I remember from the Lineage series.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
"Auto-Combat" was something in the MMO Granado Espada that I really enjoyed. As long as they find a way to "balance" it compared to actually playing the game, I don't have a problem with it. In Granado Espada, it was essentially just a way to have your characters do random farming while offline, but it was waaaaay slower than actually playing.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
"Auto-Combat" was something in the MMO Granado Espada that I really enjoyed. As long as they find a way to "balance" it compared to actually playing the game, I don't have a problem with it. In Granado Espada, it was essentially just a way to have your characters do random farming while offline, but it was waaaaay slower than actually playing.

I played that, too. Was a very different and interesting take, and I always wished they had made a sequel. I figure in T&L auto-combat will just be a way to afk grind a bit, like fishing in BDO. Still looking forward to this game, but being an NCSoft game AND being published by AGS I'm expecting some major disappointment. Not to mention AGS is also publishing Blue Protocol, talk about ruining my year.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like the game is going to end up punishing you for turning it off because if you aren’t actively playing or auto farming 24-7 then you are missing out on shit…kind of like BDO’s retardation. Asian game design is hot fucking garbage.

That's a weird opinion to have, especially when it comes to an MMO. It's retardation to have something you can do while afk, that still progresses your character in some way? Even if its very minor progression?

I think BDOs take on say afk fishing, afk horse training or even the just hitting a target dummy with the training books as a good thing. As its not just used in over night afk, but say you have a day where you are just busy or cant play, you still get to earn something.

And in an MMO, not being on and doing something means you are always missing out on something. It's no different then the guy who can only log in for a couple hours a day and the guy that can sit there all day for 10 hours playing. This way, at least the guy with a super busy life, is making some progress even though its not close to what actual playing is. I don't see any game making an AFK activity anywhere as benificial as playing the game.

As for this game, it looks interesting, will see how it goes. I enjoyed lineage II all those years ago and can never hurt to have more options.

• 1Like

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I felt like AFK fishing in BDO hit the sweet spot on reward variance between actively playing and just auto fishing. Nice way to make a passive income that scales with skill and investment, or you can hop on, go to a good ocean spot and try hard your way to a significant chunk of change if actively playing.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
That's a weird opinion to have, especially when it comes to an MMO. It's retardation to have something you can do while afk, that still progresses your character in some way? Even if its very minor progression?

I think BDOs take on say afk fishing, afk horse training or even the just hitting a target dummy with the training books as a good thing. As its not just used in over night afk, but say you have a day where you are just busy or cant play, you still get to earn something.

And in an MMO, not being on and doing something means you are always missing out on something. It's no different then the guy who can only log in for a couple hours a day and the guy that can sit there all day for 10 hours playing. This way, at least the guy with a super busy life, is making some progress even though its not close to what actual playing is. I don't see any game making an AFK activity anywhere as benificial as playing the game.

As for this game, it looks interesting, will see how it goes. I enjoyed lineage II all those years ago and can never hurt to have more options.
Is it really “weird”? It’s actually a very common western opinion and why our games are made like that.
No, I don’t think it’s a good thing that I need to have my machine running 24-7 on a game. All these systems do are lower rewards across the board to make up for the constant baseline farming.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is it really “weird”? It’s actually a very common western opinion and why our games are made like that.
No, I don’t think it’s a good thing that I need to have my machine running 24-7 on a game. All these systems do are lower rewards across the board to make up for the constant baseline farming.
Most MMO's have offline advancement, its just "stored" in a different way. The most common offline advancement in western titles is actually just "rested exp." Any game that needs the PC to be on and the game running in the background can kick rocks though. Just let me log off after setting up whatever treadmill a game like BDO wants to have (sort of like EQ merchant thing).

On the one hand, I hate the very idea of grinding. But I miss certain types of grinds when they arent around. So its a really weird conversation for me to have.

Automated combat though, Ive never played a game that I thought was all that fun with it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's retardation to have something you can do while afk, that still progresses your character in some way? Even if its very minor progression?

If it requires dominating your PC 24/7, then yes, 100% retardation.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Y
If it requires dominating your PC 24/7, then yes, 100% retardation.

Dominating?

Not sure how its done here, but at least with BDO, when you collapse it to tray, it drops to to small CPU/Memory usage, compared to when playing.

I know quite a bit of people that keep that shit in their system tray going and play other games.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I know quite a bit of people that keep that shit in their system tray going and play other games.
This. I would often put BDO in the background while playing other shit.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
While it wasn't that intrusive in BDO, I still don't like having to keep my PC on forever to get full benefits from the game, however small they were(BDO was just afk fishing+farming being done, which was negligible amounts of money but still more money than no money). Iirc Granada Espana you could just outright log out, and it'd still keep "farming", but I could be remembering wrong as I only played the beta for this for a few weeks.

I know ppl keep their PC on regardless but I haven't done that for like 15years or whatever, ever since they made boot up times not complete garbage(like back when SSD became a thing and windows versions started booting in less than 5mins) so playing a game that "forces" me to do it again still bothers me, a little bit. I still played BDO and enjoyed that when I did, but if I could have done that shit offline I would have done it offline.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
While it wasn't that intrusive in BDO, I still don't like having to keep my PC on forever to get full benefits from the game, however small they were(BDO was just afk fishing+farming being done, which was negligible amounts of money but still more money than no money). Iirc Granada Espana you could just outright log out, and it'd still keep "farming", but I could be remembering wrong as I only played the beta for this for a few weeks.

I know ppl keep their PC on regardless but I haven't done that for like 15years or whatever, ever since they made boot up times not complete garbage(like back when SSD became a thing and windows versions started booting in less than 5mins) so playing a game that "forces" me to do it again still bothers me, a little bit. I still played BDO and enjoyed that when I did, but if I could have done that shit offline I would have done it offline.
One of the venerable ancients, A Tale in The Desert, had off-line chores. Once you'd gathered enough of a basic material, you could set it as "offline" and you'd log back in with some of it. It was basically the equivalent of 20 mins of work for a day, but that was something you did not need to get.

The most useful "offline" was walking. If you had "walked" enough offline, you could insta-teleport to a sufficiently distant place.

(ATitD always had original mechanics)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
if this is like fishing/riding/strength training in BDO then note that the game itself was designed to be minimized to your system tray and not take up much if any resources overnight.

idk Auto-hunting sounds like, hunting to me, not combat. sure they could mean combat like, attack a target dummy all night to level up sword skill or whatever. But eastern games like this typically also have actual fucking hunting as a side activity, like equip your bow/musket and go out and hunt animals.