Throne and Liberty (Formerly Project TL)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

I feel like Stoopzz gave a pretty honest assessment of the "state of the game". He's probably the person I've seen play it the most over the past week or so.

Basically, it sounds like the game has some really unique and interesting systems/concepts that are ruined by the ass-tier combat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll try it, if it sucks I'll bitch. But it will at least pull me away from ucking wow again for a bit. I hope. So sick of wow.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I get wanting to move while in melee combat but honestly I never moved in EQ(Never played a tank) and I enjoyed that well enough. I am not a twitch combat style player anyways. I will try it. It sounds like Combat and offline are about the only main complaints besides the potential lean towards P2W. The game does "look" really good.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Game "looks" identical to black desert online which released in 2013.

I mean i guess if you been playing tlps over and over again for the last 20 years then graphics are ok, but thinking that 10 year old graphics is going to save a game with core gameplay loop problems like shitty combat is insane.

Poor combat is a game ruining, unsalvagable issue for mmos which are unrecoverable. Game should be scrapped like the batgirl film or taken offline and reworked from the ground up like ff14.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Action Combat with zero rest or time to let actions and reaction occur is as boring as takes forever to do one thing combat. We play turn based games for fun. This still might be fun. Will not know till I try it.
Archeage combat was unfun to me, it was all flash and no time for anything but Urrrrrghhhhhh! then loot repeat. Everything erlse about the game I loved but at cap I was bored stiff cause the combat to me was worthless.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The larger problem with T&Ls combat system is how utterly useless it makes melee in the current iteration of the game. I agree that there is definitely room/space in the MMO market for a "slower" or even more "turn-based" style system - a system I'd probably even enjoy as a side game on occasion. But 90% of this game is going to be ranged classes because you're gimping the fuck out of yourself by going melee.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Remember Tera? It had lock animations early on. Then advanced to some with movement and some freedom as you leveled. Have people leveled up in the game yet? There is too much that is unknown and hidden in the language bullshit. Good for exploring a new game, bad for making an informed choice. But are we not gamers? Don't want to play games good ones and bad ones still get played. Hell Crowfall entertained me for years and that was one bad fucking game.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Dude did you not watch the videos? were not talking about animation lock or fast paced vs slow based or any of that other shit you are arguing.

Any character movement at all, the slightest half step cancels actions and turns off autoattack. they built their combat engine around afk autobattling. This is a cell phone game that runs on pc.

• 1Truth!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was disappointed to see how the afk auto battle was a perk for having the premium battle pass. I'm curious if dying stops the auto battle timer (8hrs a day).

The game world looks better than BDO or New World, the character models are probably not as good as BDO though. Given that I've played a lot of Lineage 2 over the years, this combat won't be a deal breaker. Too bad they didn't have their Team Bloodlust work on the combat, but oh well.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well it has been a while since any kind of update has come out. The open alpha this past summer pretty much killed all interest in this game for a lot of players. Apparently the developers took notice and are attempting to rectify some of the criticism. The only aspect that of course will not change all that much is the P2W feature, but at least they are trying to revamp combat.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Changes in combat means I'll play this for a drunken weekend on release where as I was pretty much going to entirely skip, which is saying something since an MMO has to be incredibly bad for me to not even try.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I was honestly somewhat excited about this game back when it was "auto-play", just because it offered something unique to the genre at least. And after 20+ years of EQ/WoW clones, at least "unique" is worth giving a shot for a week or two. Plus, I've had fun with "auto-play" games like Honkai: Star Rail and Teamfight Tactics.

Knowing that they're completely redesigning this means the combat likely ends up as a major abomination of some kind at worst and just a copy/paste of all the shit we already have in this genre at best.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I was honestly somewhat excited about this game back when it was "auto-play", just because it offered something unique to the genre at least. And after 20+ years of EQ/WoW clones, at least "unique" is worth giving a shot for a week or two. Plus, I've had fun with "auto-play" games like Honkai: Star Rail and Teamfight Tactics.

Knowing that they're completely redesigning this means the combat likely ends up as a major abomination of some kind at worst and just a copy/paste of all the shit we already have in this genre at best.

The auto-play wasn't a main feature, just a way to afk grind small amounts of xp. And the combat changes are basically just not making nearly every ability root you in place and adding auto-attacks. A lot of the issues with the game are because when they scrapped the isometric version they grabbed a mobile game they had in development to replace it. They should have just stuck with the original.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Expectations are everything. Anyone who looks at this game and doesn't see the signs on the wall that it's going to fail massively is pretty delusional. With that being said, it's a F2P MMO with decent graphics and some interesting concepts - that's enough for me to spend a bit of time playing it.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Will be playing this Thursday morning (mostly trying GS & some S&B) if anyone is going to mess around for KR launch and wants to play.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So I was bored today and got a Korean account to try and play this.

Ended up playing about 4-5 hours, and made it to level 11.

The production value is awesome, game looks gorgeous, music is good, UI is clean and minimalist. It runs great.

Aside from that so far, it’s pretty generic korean mmo. You follow a MSQ, and do side quests in each region as you go. The quest are typical mmo quests and nothing special so far, the MSQ seems fairly interesting. There’s lot of cutscenes which vary from in game graphics or drawings.

The combat is ok I guess, it’s tab targeting like wow or ff14 or action mode which is still hybrid between tab targeting and a true action combat. I’d say it’s serviceable. I do like the skill system though, you have 2 weapons you can select, each has like 9 skills you can unlock, you can only put 10 on your hotbar and skill can be leveled. So that’s essentially how you make your build by selecting which skill you want on your hot bar and focus on leveling those. There’s also passives that work similarly in that you have more passive than slots to use them, and they can also be leveled.

The combat isn’t really about weapon swapping though, as far as I know and I may be wrong but the only thing that seems to change when swapping weapon is your auto attack…so if you have sword and shield for 1 set and bow for other set..your auto attack uses either a bow or sword depending on which is your active set. The other skills automatically uses the appropriate weapon but doesn’t change your active set. So if you have sword and shield active and use a bow skill, it will switch to bow, use the skill and go back to auto attacking with the sword. I personally like this as I do not usually like weapon swapping.

I can say much about itemization so far since I am still new. You can level up weapon and armor, and if you get better quality(color), you can transfer the xp from the lower one to the higher one so it’s not wasted. So if you have a level 3 white sword and get a green sword. You can transfer the xp from the level 3 sword to your green sword and it will become like level 2 or so. Seems interesting but I’m way too low to really see how good this is going to work.

Gathering is like wow, just click on ressources and that’s it. Crafting seems to be done by npc crafter only, there’s no crafting profession as far as know. It’s just bring recipe and mats to NPC and pay to craft whatever you want. Huge disappointment for me as I love life skills in mmo.

The morph into an animal for travel on ground, air and water is nice but I honestly just prefer mounts to this system. The transformation is very smooth though.

Teleports is fucking impressive, almost instant from anywhere I’ve been. Typical unlock a destination by visiting it and can then teleport to it.

All in all, it’s a generic Korean mmo with extremely high production value. I’ll most likely get it when it comes out in the west because there’s not much else new in the mmo genre, and it’s fun enough so far. This may change as I play more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Instead of this generic P2W blandfest we could have had a decent looking P2W Lost Ark clone.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I liked this game's potential FAR more as an "auto-battler", because at least that brought something new/different to the genre, even if it sucked. The fact that internet autists forced them to turn this into a Korean WoW means I won't even bother.