Time Travel: What would you do?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm boring I guess because I would just go back in time and buy a bunch of Apple stock, then sell it in the late 2010s and dump all the money into BitCoin. Then come back to present day and be rich. With as little interaction otherwise as possible, to avoid butterfly effect shit.

Cybsled

Perfect thing of value to get to not disrupt the timeline: the Honjō Masamune. It is considered to be the finest Japanese sword ever created and a national treasure of Japan. It vanished in the aftermath of WW2 when it was supposedly handed over to the US Army rep, but the US claims the person it was allegedly handed to didn’t exist. It either got destroyed or some dude has it on display in secret.

For all we know, the guy who supposedly took possession of the sword was a time traveler

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
For all we know, the guy who supposedly took possession of the sword was a time traveler
We can definitely rule him out as being a time traveler since time travel isn't actually possible. It makes for good stories though!

• 1Smuggly

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Perfect thing of value to get to not disrupt the timeline: the Honjō Masamune. It is considered to be the finest Japanese sword ever created and a national treasure of Japan. It vanished in the aftermath of WW2 when it was supposedly handed over to the US Army rep, but the US claims the person it was allegedly handed to didn’t exist. It either got destroyed or some dude has it on display in secret.

well that was certainly an interesting legend to read Mystery of The Enigmatic Honjo Masamune Sword but what have you been smoking to speculate "time travel" ?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm boring I guess because I would just go back in time and buy a bunch of Apple stock, then sell it in the late 2010s and dump all the money into BitCoin. Then come back to present day and be rich. With as little interaction otherwise as possible, to avoid butterfly effect shit.

Have you seen Primer?

1684883516868.png

I think you'd like Primer.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm far more interested in seeing the future than the past, there will be massive technological change this century alone. See if we will travel to other stars or if we end up just plugged into life-like VR forever and progress grinds to a halt as we spend all of our time in a virtual pleasure paradise. Maybe see some unprecedented societal nightmares too as privacy disappears and medical advances make it possible to "fix" criminals.

I think a lot of that is almost inevitable. I'm not even gonna try to pretend that I wouldn't spend most of my time in a VR holodeck if it existed. I think it'd basically destroy society.

I 100% expect the suddenly-ideological medical system to have way too much control in the future. Medical advancements might lead to an anti-violence vaccine or crispr therapy called "Peace" that gets rid of the MAOA-2 allele and negates aggression/impulses. Everybody'll be expected to get a shot of Peace to "make all of us safer" even if they feel like they themselves personally have no issues of being violent. They'll basically force everyone to get it at risk of job loss or jail, then it'll turn out that it makes people permanently docile and un-creative. Then womp womp, society destroyed again. Actually this would lead perfectly into the VR thing.

I'd probably also go forward in time just to see what ends up happening. And future-travel is actually kind of possible. Don't they have the ability to cryo-freeze people? I've heard about it being used on terminally ill people to unfreeze them at some later date when they can be cured. If that actually works, then in a scenario where I've got no family or close friends around anymore I could see myself trying to jump forward to 2040 or 2050 just to see what happens next. Probably a terrible mistake though...

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'd probably also go forward in time just to see what ends up happening. And future-travel is actually kind of possible. Don't they have the ability to cryo-freeze people? I've heard about it being used on terminally ill people to unfreeze them at some later date when they can be cured. If that actually works, then in a scenario where I've got no family or close friends around anymore I could see myself trying to jump forward to 2040 or 2050 just to see what happens next. Probably a terrible mistake though...

"Cathal O’Connell
Researcher in 3D bioprinting and biofabrication at BioFab3D, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne

All signs point to no. The freezing-down process is critical. Doing this in a way that preserves cell function—especially regarding connectivity in the human brain—is way beyond our current capabilities. Unfortunately, everyone who has ever been frozen so far is essentially turned to mush. These people will never be revived."

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Im just saying if time travel was possible, a unidentifiable person taking the sword is the perfect historical event for a time traveler to slip into as the unknown man, as it doesn’t disrupt the current timeline as we know it

Yeah, I know what you meant, not sure why people are giving you grief for the time travel part. It was just an idea. Who knows who took the Masamune, and it's exactly what a time traveler would do. Most likely it was just someone posing as a US rep and it's hidden somewhere in a private collection.

Man, now I want it.

All signs point to no. The freezing-down process is critical. Doing this in a way that preserves cell function—especially regarding connectivity in the human brain—is way beyond our current capabilities. Unfortunately, everyone who has ever been frozen so far is essentially turned to mush. These people will never be revived."

That's a bummer. I guess at least for now there's no way to jump forward (or more importantly, preserve a loved one).

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Yea, don't worry about folks giving you grief for your ideas. This is just for fun. Folks were blasting my Library of Alexandria idea because of the language barrier... even though I clearly stated bringing backs the Monks to teach them English so they could translate. pfft.

Cybsled

That's a bummer. I guess at least for now there's no way to jump forward (or more importantly, preserve a loved one).

At relativistic speeds, you would age at a rate slower than everything else. Granted we can't do that at the moment either, but it would be another method of traveling forward in time (so to speak)

Yea, don't worry about folks giving you grief for your ideas. This is just for fun. Folks were blasting my Library of Alexandria idea because of the language barrier... even though I clearly stated bringing backs the Monks to teach them English so they could translate. pfft.

One thing to keep in mind is the Library of Alexandria, by the time Muslims had shown up, was a shell of its former glory. The library began its decline prior to the Romans showing up and suffered a couple destruction of collection events, one even supposedly caused by Caeser (although not intentionally). During the Roman period, most scholars weren't really using that Library anymore and doing work elsewhere because the city was becoming a shithole. Best analogy I can think of is imagine Detroit at its height, then imagine Detroit in the 90s. Roman period Alexandria was more like 90s Detroit.

Your best bet would have been traveling back to BC times when the place was at its height

• 1Truth!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
At relativistic speeds, you would age at a rate slower than everything else. Granted we can't do that at the moment either, but it would be another method of traveling forward in time (so to speak)

I imagine something like that could be doable at some point.

Think of how weird it'd be for the astronaut doing it. Zap forward at some high speed, not knowing how much time is going to actually pass until you do it. Maybe you end up 3000 years in the future or maybe 3 days.

It'd be pretty weird for the rest of us on the ground too. We see the takeoff, we see the ship wink out, then...nothing. We wait for them to return and find out how much time went by. Years go by, people get old and grey, still nothing. People forget about it. Guy and/or girl returns, a week older, to Idiocracy and/or Planet of the Apes.

I think that any extraterrestrial interstellar travel out there is likely being done via wormhole generation or warp bubble rather than actually reaching or exceeding light speed. The time dilation, and the difficulty, seem like brick walls to light speed actually being workable compared to the other ideas.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The book house of suns is like that. There's a high speed chase and they get so close to light that every second of shiptime is days of planet time. I think the chase took 20 thousand years.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
We can definitely rule him out as being a time traveler since time travel isn't actually possible. It makes for good stories though!

I gotta admit, wasn't expecting Lumi to be on this side of the time travel argument.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I gotta admit, wasn't expecting Lumi to be on this side of the time travel argument.
It simply doesn't make any logical sense. Not only that but time isn't a physical substance like water or air or earth so how can you travel through or upon something which doesn't physically exist? Time only exists as an abstract concept.