Time Travel: What would you do?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is what I mean. Everyone in this thread is assuming its retarded copout Endgame time travel rules.

If its Back to the Future rules, its a whole different game.

Fuck Hitler and any other historical figures, enhancing your own personal timeline is where its at. I'm giving my younger self a bunch of key information, and if multiple trips are allowed, probably checking back in with him at several key times.

Both time travel rules could be wrong and when you go back you end up fighting Lavos

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Don't forget to warn them about lead in the water.

I'd be more concerned about lead in the wine in ancient Rome - they used to purposely put lead into some types of wine as a sweetening agent lol

Anyways, this conversation really needs to set what the "rules" of time travel are:

1) If it is purely linear time, then that means you can't actually change anything and you going back into time was always meant to happen
2) Multiverse/multi-timeline means you can literally do anything and change the future of the timeline from the point you make the changes. This allows you to avoid paradoxes, like causing yourself to cease to exist, although this could also in theory create alternate versions of yourself. The "original" timeline still exists, but you cannot access it after the point of divergence unless you travel back prior to the divergence point. Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and Continuum uses this version.
3) Back to the Future: It is like an odd mix of linear and multiverse - you can make changes, but the changes can make you vanish from existence and somehow not cause a paradox

#2 makes the most sense, since it gives you the most "risk free" sandbox options that don't result in you deleting yourself or just being a pre-destination paradox.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
The Future Vintage GIF

I'm going full Booster Gold.

• 1Like

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Anyways, this conversation really needs to set what the "rules" of time travel are:
No, it doesn't. It's your fantasy, run with it. Hell, imagine you travel back in time to give yourself a stock tip only to find out you can't go forward in time since it's not a set destination yet and wind up basically becoming a clone of yourself, and now the two of you can go on adventures together. I don't give a shit, it's all theoretical, anyhow.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've never thought about that before, but presuming that there's no monkey paw bullshit where I cause a butterfly to fart and then I'm never born or jumps forward cause me to fall into the sun, I'd treat the universe as my own personal playground.

I'd go forward in time, document a bunch of technology, then go back in time, introduce a change, then jump forward in time to see the impact. I'd do that over and over and document it extensively and use that to communicate to whatever kind of time paradox copies of myself there were.

I'd probably optimize toward getting humanity past the great filters ( Great Filter - Wikipedia ). Presumably on the current timeline we get rekt by nuclear war, asteroid, pollution, liberalism, whatever into a state that causes a permanent regression before we become an interstellar species. I'd do something to fix that. It could be as trivial as jumping forward far enough to find the solution to the Arc Reactor, Epstein Drive and transparent aluminum and then introducing that information during ancient Egypt and letting her rip. Or it could be a monstrously difficult path because humanity is truly self-destructive and the civilization required to do things like build a stargate to Alpha Centauri require enough of a population that earth self destructs within 5 generations every.single.time.

Would be fun to solve and I can't think of anything more interesting than that to do.

Just giving each of the great civilizations from Egypt's New Kingdom to China's Spring and Autumn to August Caesar's Rome to the British Empire a technological compendium and seeing how they transform into a global hegemony and prepare to become an interstellar species would be fascinating. It wouldn't be surprising at all if the truly ancient empires like Sumer were the best since they'd have minimal competition.

Last edited:

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
When I watch time travel movies, which I do obsessively - even if I know going into its a bad movie, is it about time travel? fuck it I'm in.

In any movie where the traveller doesnt immediately take actions directed at fixing their own timeline, and the movie doesnt clearly show that its impossible to do so, I immediately and irreconcilably can't relate to the traveler any more. Like they're not even a realistic characater with plausible motivations anymore.

I have some of the same reaction to this thread. Y'all are seriously fuckin around with Hitler and butterflies and dinosaurs and shit? I've got much more immediate issues to address. I assume you all do too. I hate that the movies have conditioned us to all assume "you can't change the future". Its the most boring kind of time travel. Makes it all pointless.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Depend if it's back-and-forth, or full no-return trip. Because dipping into time to do the tourist-slash-researcher is one thing, but going back to change things, and stay there because of course your original timeline is erased by your actions are two very different things.

The former? Do the tourist thing. Visit original Egypt pre-roman conquest, attend ceremonies to Enlil at Nippur, see a full-blown festival at the Coliseum, chat with Confucius to see if he really had a broom stuck in the...

The latter? Late roman republic. Introduce simple and basic technologies and ideas:
- Movable type printing press
- Immediately after, the academic press, so you can kickstart the scientific method (that lets people figure everything you forgot)
- Accounting & economy methods (so that the gov realizes they can't devolve money without consequences, as they started to do later)
- Germ theory, sanitation/hygiene (there are some nasty plagues coming up soon)
- Simple electricity: show how a telegraph works, let them do the rest ("oh, by the way, yes, it lets you transport energy")
- Simple machinery. Introduce a modern version of the lathe (whose principles were known already), then showcase steam-powered stuff like presses ("I can make a curved shield in 10 minutes").
- Introduce the concept of standardized measures and interchangeable parts for the above.
- A world map. A fuckin' honest to goodness world map, in front of Mr. Julius Gaius Caesar ("you're thinking too small, Jules"). Also, dump Gibbon's Rise and Fall (translated) on him and a few select politicians to see what mistakes Rome needs to avoid.
- And cooking ("No, you do not need to put garum in everything. Try this things called a pizza, instead...")

Then I retire and watch the World Empire start.

I'd like to see a show or movie about this hypothetical. I imagine the Roman Empire would have lasted WELL into their future if you were to essentially move the Italian Renaissance back in time 1500 years.

On the other hand, knowing the full scope of the world might make them hyperextend and lose control of it even sooner. At least we'd have some pretty sweet ruins in North America.

Not sure how cool it would be to go to a library full of texts in ancient languages you can't read at all.

Language barrier is going to be a major problem if you time travel back that far lol.

Yeah, that's true with most time travel scenarios going back more than 800 years or so. Even old English is practically a foreign language. In college they made us read The Faerie Queen (circa 1300's) and it might as well have been a sister language to what we have now.

Star Trek kind of borked my mindset into thinking of these things like I always have a universal translator equipped or something. In actuality going back to the Library of Alexandria to read things would not be any help at all. Unless the goal is to somehow totally clean the place out before it burns and bring everything back to the modern era for analysis. Warp in in the middle of the night and grab everything you can and warp out, night after night, until they realize everything seems to be going missing and start posting guards everywhere.

Who burned it? Antifa? Maybe find that out and stop 'em. But we'd still lose a ton of stuff to time, so I think transporting things to the present is the way to go. Also a way to revive lost species.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
No, it doesn't. It's your fantasy, run with it. Hell, imagine you travel back in time to give yourself a stock tip only to find out you can't go forward in time since it's not a set destination yet and wind up basically becoming a clone of yourself, and now the two of you can go on adventures together. I don't give a shit, it's all theoretical, anyhow.
As long as you don't become your own grandfather....

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's true with most time travel scenarios going back more than 800 years or so. Even old English is practically a foreign language. In college they made us read The Faerie Queen (circa 1300's) and it might as well have been a sister language to what we have now.
In my scenario of hopping back, enacting a change and hopping forward to see how it played out, I think this would be a problem and you'd have to motivate a society to overcome the language/tech barrier to experience the payoff. Jumping forward 10,000 years only to find out that Augustus was murdered even FASTER and Cato had everyone throw away your tech compendium because it was progressive would be pretty disappointing.

You could just hop back to King Tut, give him an ipad with Season 1 of Firefly with hieroglyphic subtitles, and say that the next ten seasons are stored on disks he needs to develop the technology to playback and that if he motivates his entire civilization to learn the tech you just gave him, he might be able to watch the rest of the series before he dies.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I'd go back to the 50's and fuck Marilyn Monroe and Liz Taylor

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
In my scenario of hopping back, enacting a change and hopping forward to see how it played out, I think this would be a problem and you'd have to motivate a society to overcome the language/tech barrier to experience the payoff. Jumping forward 10,000 years only to find out that Augustus was murdered even FASTER and Cato had everyone throw away your tech compendium because it was progressive would be pretty disappointing.

You could just hop back to King Tut, give him an ipad with Season 1 of Firefly with hieroglyphic subtitles, and say that the next ten seasons are stored on disks he needs to develop the technology to playback and that if he motivates his entire civilization to learn the tech you just gave him, he might be able to watch the rest of the series before he dies.

I really wish Firefly had gotten the planned five seasons. I assume the Serenity movie is basically what Season 5 would have been, but then we have a lot of in-between space that is pretty enigmatic. I'm guessing the government would have been the bad guys throughout, with their CIA spook "Hands of Blue" terminator guys coming into play a lot more. Also lots of running away from Reavers.

Maybe I'd go back in time and ask the showrunners what their plans were for Seasons 2-4. Lawl.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I would show HBO Season 8 of GOT before they put those two assholes in charge

For real though, I think about this from time to time and it would rule out the past. Anything before like 1940 you couldnt fuck cause all the women would be hairy, smelly and gross. 1890s gash smells like Indian people. Future us out cause you couldnt fuck in the future because all the women will have dicks or be 300 pound they thems

1997 truly is the peak of human existence

• 1Edgelord

Cybsled

Scenarios like going back in time and giving Ancient Rome more modern tech wouldn’t mean they would have survived into the present, in a form we recognize.

Think Star Trek and prime directive. Part of the reason they dislike tech sharing is a culture not ready for it may heavily misuse it. Ancient Roman society if given steam tech they actually used would now have an increased desire for coal, which would result in places like Germany being permanently conquered and subjugated to supply coal for Roman industry and war. Slavery might transition into low paid workers. The railroad would allow (for the time) incredibly fast travel. It’s questionable if things like Christianity even arise and spread. Europe as we know it never develops, which has long lasting impacts of history. Other nations would eventually steal the steam tech, such as ancient China, and add that to their own developments like gunpowder if not discovered elsewhere as a result of the timeline change

Also, regarding the library of Alexandria, it wasn’t just 1 big event that did it in. It was a slow decline with punctuated losses and removal of materials.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Scenarios like going back in time and giving Ancient Rome more modern tech wouldn’t mean they would have survived into the present, in a form we recognize.

Think Star Trek and prime directive. Part of the reason they dislike tech sharing is a culture not ready for it may heavily misuse it. Ancient Roman society if given steam tech they actually used would now have an increased desire for coal, which would result in places like Germany being permanently conquered and subjugated to supply coal for Roman industry and war. Slavery might transition into low paid workers. The railroad would allow (for the time) incredibly fast travel. It’s questionable if things like Christianity even arise and spread. Europe as we know it never develops, which has long lasting impacts of history. Other nations would eventually steal the steam tech, such as ancient China, and add that to their own developments like gunpowder if not discovered elsewhere as a result of the timeline change

Also, regarding the library of Alexandria, it wasn’t just 1 big event that did it in. It was a slow decline with punctuated losses and removal of materials.
There's a 7 or 8 book series by Peter Rhodan about a guy stranded in the Roman Empire who boostraps technology (with the goal of reversing the accident that threw him back in the past. Spoiler alert: he fails). It mixes war (which isn't interesting, because Arturo Sandus curbstomps every enemy force with superior force) and economical development which is far more fascinating. And yes, it includes people trying to steal the stuff, so at one point, the Roman have to teach China not to assume they still have the Mandate of Heaven...

Almost no polity survived two thousand years, but the Roman almost did it under the form of the Eastern Roman Empire (aka Byzantines), even if they were quickly mostly greek rather than latin. But you might have splinter policies all over the Earth, all claiming to be the true inheritor of the Romans. Imagine one Roman "empire" per continent :)