Titan has been cancelled.

DietMountain Dew ... because that will make a difference.
eek.png

Neph_sl

shitlord
The three lives of Blizzard Entertainment | Polygon

Metzen and Morhaime explain that Blizzard will move forward with an eye toward more small, experimental projects like Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, latching onto them and expanding them when they seem like they fit the company's vision.
Interesting read on Blizzard. Lots of Metzen praise, a Tigole shoutout, Titan cancellation, Hearthstone, HotS, etc etc. Nothing really new though, other than the quote above. But that's kinda been implied

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think it's pretty obvious that their current model of releasing big game mostly on the hype of the past games, it being disappointing and then adding an expansion few years down the line that fixes most of the issues is not really sustainable.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think it's pretty obvious that their current model of releasing big game mostly on the hype of the past games, it being disappointing and then adding an expansion few years down the line that fixes most of the issues is not really sustainable.
When you say sustainable, you must not be talking profits.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Perhaps not. But to be honest, I have absolutely no interest in these smaller games from Blizzard like Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Perhaps not. But to be honest, I have absolutely no interest in these smaller games from Blizzard like Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm.
you're missing out. Hearthstone is a good couple weeks of fun. Unless you play MTG seriously.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I thought about trying Hearthstone, if for no other reason than the possibility of being able to play it infrequently here and there.

The type of card game I'd like (for PC) would be something like Culdcept, except AFAIK Culdcept was never available for PC. I don't have any real desire to play against random people online, I'd just want to play either in a single player mode or against specific friends. Maybe that's possible with Hearthstone but I dunno.

I can't stand all of my friends that constantly play RoB and can't put their fucking phones down. Go out to eat? They're on their phones the entire time playing.

My not wanting to play against random people online has always been a constant, more or less. When I played a lot of FPS games, I much preferred to LAN or get everyone all on the same server somewhere - PUGing was atrocious. I felt largely the same with MMOs early on, but with MMOs you didn't really have a choice. Now I'm back to feeling like I'd prefer single player RPGs or those where you can just play with friends as opposed to playing full blown MMOs. At times I have to wonder if I want the novelty of playing in an MMO at all.

MMOs are in this strange place for me now. Even if someone were to develop an MMO I'd love to play on paper, I think I might still be hesitant.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The three lives of Blizzard Entertainment | Polygon

Interesting read on Blizzard. Lots of Metzen praise, a Tigole shoutout, Titan cancellation, Hearthstone, HotS, etc etc. Nothing really new though, other than the quote above. But that's kinda been implied
The issue I see with this model is Blizzard has yet to prove, even with their 'renewed' focus on smaller games, their capacity to satiate the need for quick content development. After years and years of the same problems meeting anything like a deadline, the onus is on them. While I enjoy most of their games, relative quality has suffered in recent years and not for improvement in speed. If they were producing peerless products, there might be more to the story but I think D3 and the decade long SC2 release has proven that not to be the case.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
When you say sustainable, you must not be talking profits.
I think it's pretty obvious that WoW will never be replicated again because the market has changed. The latest two gigantic cash cows - Titanfall and Destiny, are making less money than expected. Yes, Diablo 3 sold shitton of copies, but it was still less profitable than WoW. As a publicly traded company, they are supposed to be making more money and Diablo hype won't be replicated for a few more years until the entire community gets blue balls and nostalgia. Perhaps if they ever get around to Warcraft 4... I like that they are trying to make smaller games, instead of the path most major developers take - yearly releases with minimal changes stuffed with DLC, but it remains to be seen whether it's worth it. On the other hand, most F2P successes are hard to replicate, so I'm hopeful.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I think it's pretty obvious that WoW will never be replicated again because the market has changed.
I'm not sure that I believe that myself. It may not happen anytime soon, and the resultant MMO may not be what we expect, but I would anticipate seeing some genre-crushing MMO within the next 20 years.

Of course people may balk at a guesstimate of 20 years, but I think the MMO genre is going to shrink while other games explode in popularity and everything may need to come full circle back to MMOs.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It's already been replicated, it's called League of Legends. They took a more "hardcore" game (DOTA/DOTA2) and streamlined it, made it a bit easier and now it's one of the most, if not #1, online game in the world.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's already been replicated, it's called League of Legends. They took a more "hardcore" game (DOTA/DOTA2) and streamlined it, made it a bit easier and now it's one of the most, if not #1, online game in the world.
If only it had the control scheme of smite
frown.png

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
EQ and WoW type MMOGs may get a second wind after 2020 when the first generation of MMOG players ages past forty years old and the kids are out of the house. Youngsters today are simply not as hardcore about gaming to the same degree as the previous generation was.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
A replicated DOTA? I can see an argument for that. A replicated WOW, like what was being talked about? /boggle

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
A replicated DOTA? I can see an argument for that. A replicated WOW, like what was being talked about? /boggle
You mean you want to argue whether or not LOL is a replicated DOTA? My point was that you think we're still waiting for someone to replicate WOW's success. My statement says that it already happened. The only debate is whether or not your argument is strictly defined to RPGs or not.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
You mean you want to argue whether or not LOL is a replicated DOTA? My point was that you think we're still waiting for someone to replicate WOW's success. My statement says that it already happened. The only debate is whether or not your argument is strictly defined to RPGs or not.
I wasn't talking about WOW in regards to success at all, I was talking about WOW being replicated more in the vein of an actual MMO. AKA I was diverging from what Zaphid was saying a bit because I disagree with a few things and I didn't really want to have to write out some overly long post.