Titanfall

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
im pretty late to the party, ive had it just not had time to play whats everyone running with? I haven't tried the smart pistol not even sure how it works outside training seems to literally auto aim, just been using the assault rifle.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I bought this on Friday using the Pesos thing. Hasn't posted to my credit card yet, but so far it looks like it worked. Deluxe edition for like $45 or something.

Enjoying it so far, but there was one match where I was sure there was hacking going on (I'd be cloaked and a titan would one shot me as soon as I turned a corner, several times). It seemed like at least 2-3 people on the team were doing it too. Turns out, they have indeed confirmed that there are hacks. Kind of sucks. I'm just glad it was only in that one match so far.

Up to level 27 at the moment.
Just wanted to update this, since they finally charged my credit card yesterday. I did, in fact, get it for $45. Pretty awesome deal.

I run with the R-101C Carbine, Wingman Pistol, Mag Launcher, and Satchels. I don't like the smart pistol, since I hate sitting there waiting for it to lock on, and the shotgun sucks ass for long range (plus I don't like the long pause between shots if I miss the first time).

spronk

FPS noob
you need to eventually get good at all the weapons, as each generation has different requirements to level up. For example I'm in G2 right now and to hit G3 i'll need to get 75 pilot kills with shotgun and like 20 titan kills with 40mm titan, I suspect it'll be a different weapon for G4. The challenges page does show all the stuff you need to fulfill while you are that gen, so you can do it for the entire 50 levels so not too bad, you can usually get em all done long before 50.

Apparently the hardest one is G4 or G5, where one of the requirements is killing 50 people as they eject out of their titan (wtf).

Xevy

Log Wizard
you need to eventually get good at all the weapons, as each generation has different requirements to level up. For example I'm in G2 right now and to hit G3 i'll need to get 75 pilot kills with shotgun and like 20 titan kills with 40mm titan, I suspect it'll be a different weapon for G4. The challenges page does show all the stuff you need to fulfill while you are that gen, so you can do it for the entire 50 levels so not too bad, you can usually get em all done long before 50.

Apparently the hardest one is G4 or G5, where one of the requirements is killing 50 people as they eject out of their titan (wtf).
Aim for the pilot chamber when they go doomed.

Column_sl

shitlord
Big news for Titanfall today.

Next game will be on all platforms which is not surprising given the EA announcement earlier, and Respawn is going to make the current Titanfall 4k.

W

Wrathcaster

Enjoyed it for 10 hours or so, then got a refund on it. Not a bad game, but the mech combat is just sort of meh to me. Too many enclosed spaces to allow for pilot kills on mechs, and seemed far too easy to kill a mech as a pilot. They didn't really feel that powerful to me which was a major downside.

In the end, the most fun I had was playing as a pilot, a lot of times just calling in my mech to auto follow as a bigass distraction. The parkour stuff is insanely fun, but it doesn't seem like there's much more to experience past that. Matchmaking sucks ass, no mod support in the foreseeable future, and very little variety once you play through all the maps a few times.

One thing I will say for it that I thoroughly enjoyed and would like to see in more games is the way multiplayer campaign worked, and the cannon fodder AI hanging out. It was really cool playing through what would normally be an entirely singleplayer story mode in a multiplayer setting, and I thought it worked well (even though at times I'd have zero fuck of an idea wtf was going on). I like the AI because it adds this cool sort of flow to combat, where you can chain together a fuckton of kills and use the fast past parkour movement to pull off some stuff that really makes you feel like a bawss. It also gives noobs and downright terrible players to contribute in meaningful ways in annihilation mode, where they can just run around blasting AI to rack up points for the team. I thought that was a very cool element to having the bots running around.

In the end though, it seems to be Tribes - jetpacks, skiing, vehicles, and CTF, with Mechs added in as, what seemed to me, a gimmick to make it more than just a futuristic parkour FPS. Needs a lot more content and a lot more to do before I'll give it another try.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tribes has far more depth and the map sizes are much larger. Mechs in a Tribes map..... hmmmmm

Xevy

Log Wizard
Tribes has far more depth and the map sizes are much larger. Mechs in a Tribes map..... hmmmmm
Tribes Ascend? Aka slide around and guess where to launch your grenades? I don't know about that.

If people are having trouble with pilots removing them from mechs there are two easy options:

Electric Smoke: stand in it til they die or get off.

or

Cluster Missile: fire it at the wall behind you or the ground. Sit in it. Dead pilot.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tribes Ascend? Aka slide around and guess where to launch your grenades? I don't know about that.

If people are having trouble with pilots removing them from mechs there are two easy options:

Electric Smoke: stand in it til they die or get off.

or

Cluster Missile: fire it at the wall behind you or the ground. Sit in it. Dead pilot.
Not sure if serious.. Tribes = Spinfusor

I suppose you could waste your time fighting open area battles with a grenade launcher if you wanted to....

spronk

FPS noob
theres a bug that lets you reuse a drop titan card multiple times -- basically use it, and immediately select burn card screen again and choose another card while your titan is dropping. it'll use the second card, keep your titan burn card, so you can re-use it once more during that game. not a huge cheat imo since it won't work in last titan and for any other game mode you can acquire a titan pretty fast just killing grunt/specters, but still something that they hopefully fix asap. if your timing is off it'll just burn the titan drop card. works on pc/consoles

W

Wrathcaster

haha, sorry. In my previous post I meant to type Titanfall is Tribes minus jetpacks, skiing, vehicles, and CTF (and of course spinfusor, how could I forget). Original post wasn't so clear.

I'm an ancient Tribes player, I'd never speak any heresy against such majesty.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It also has jetpacks and you could almost arguing it's wall-running is close to skiing.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
how do you not kill yourself with nuclear ejection or w/e the fuck it is, shit blows up way to fast.

spronk

FPS noob
glad they fixed the multiple titan burn card exploit, that was pretty fast. also hanging around afk in hardpoint will no longer give you top score

3/21/2014 Server Changelog

Balancing adjustments and general changes

- The damage indicator from Electric Smoke is now much more noticeable
- Search Drones will now show up in Classic Modes of Angel City
- Arc grenade/mine effects no longer draw on friendly Pilots and Titans
- Lowered the point value of defensive actions in Hardpoint mode and CTF.
- Increased the score limit in Attrition
- Flag Return points reduced
- Flag Carrier killed points reduced
- Explosives detonated by Dead Man's Trigger are now slightly delayed
- Explosives detonated by Dead Man's Trigger now play a warning sound before exploding
- Slightly decreased the damage of the Smart Pistol when not locked onto a Pilot
- Slightly decreased the hip-fire accuracy of the Smart Pistol
- Certain Burn Cards could be exploited to give multiple uses
- Evac Dropships are now more responsive to Pilots entering them
- Hacking a Mega Turret will now restore it's health to full
- Cluster Missiles damage reduced against Evac Dropships

Bug Fixes

- Titan could become stuck in the position he lands in
- Auto-Titan wouldn't stand up until you embarked into it
- Several rare server issues restarting the game in to the lobby
- Pilot could end up out of bounds while rodeoing a Titan as it is destroyed
- Pilot could warp through certain locations when jumping off a Titan
- Rodeoing a Titan that has been doomed by your SMR could kill you
- Players being able to enter some geometry in Smuggler's Cove
- Titanfall will now give proper kill credit when it kills a Pilot embarking into their Titan
- Minions in Attrition now continue to spawn until the Epilogue begins
- Player couldn't hack a Mega Turret console
- Server would sometimes error when leeching a Spectre
- Hardpoints sometimes awarded defense score to players not near the hardpoint
- Rare issue when ejecting from a Titan
- Server would sometimes error after a match while returning to the lobby
- Double XP burn card sometimes not being applied properly