Titanfall

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I take it none of you have played or seen Call of Duty or most any console game online. That's how this is going to work. I know this because nobody wants to be different than Call of Duty. You don't pick a server, you just pick a game mode and you get dumped into a lobby until you have enough people to play. You repeat this every fucking time the map changes.

Anyway, 6v6 sucks. May as well be FFA.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Yeah, it's probably 6v6 because it's going to be p2p or to keep overhead low on The CloudT with typical console matchmaking.

Not because they are making a competitive FPS. It's the new CoD

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I take it none of you have played or seen Call of Duty or most any console game online. That's how this is going to work. I know this because nobody wants to be different than Call of Duty. You don't pick a server, you just pick a game mode and you get dumped into a lobby until you have enough people to play. You repeat this every fucking time the map changes.

Anyway, 6v6 sucks. May as well be FFA.
Only one CoD game didn't have dedicated servers on PC.

Titanfall also uses dedicated servers on all platforms. This is already confirmed.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Definitely not my preference but a couple of my friends got to play it at pax and loved it so I'll still be picking it up based on what they have said.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
If this game uses matchmaking lobbies exclusively, I'm gonna be really upset. Dedicated servers with their own loose communities really increases my enjoyment level of FPS games.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
6v6 seems small in this day and age. Is this an in general limit or can players make their own severs? For some reason I was imaging huge zones like Battlefield (or maybe 1/2 the size 16v16) running around a huge zone with mech battles happening at key strategic points and so on. I can fully understand a small clan or tournament 6v6 match but for an in general size..

Well I'll wait till I see it. PC will probably have 0 day hacked 10v10 or 20v20 servers anyway.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Only one CoD game didn't have dedicated servers on PC.

Titanfall also uses dedicated servers on all platforms. This is already confirmed.
There are no player controlled third party hosted permanent dedicated servers as people think of them from quake battlefield etc. There are cloud servers that are spawned as needed. Which is no different than how Black Ops 2 PC works. It functions almost exactly like a p2p game from the player's perspective, but with an invisible third party host. Having dedicated servers in this fashion changes nothing. You just don't have some shittard on wi-fi hosting the goddamn game.

Pick a game mode, wait for matchmaking. Finish a round, wait for matchmaking. People rage quit mid round? Well that's up to the developers how to deal with it. Nobody likes joining an in-progress game where one side is getting shit stomped, but it sucks for both sides when its 6 vs 2. Do you move people to the unbalanced side, mid-match? That's horseshit too. With only 6 v 6, just one or two people quitting can fuck up the rest of the game. You're better off making it FFA with those numbers.

The upside to this whole approach is you are supposed to be able to match players of reasonably equal skill together. The reality is you just make it take longer for people to find a fucking game, so you wind up dumping the whole idea and matching a 5 man squad of 5+ k/ds and ten thousand hours played against a bunch of people who bought the game that morning.

Anyway, the main question is: Can a player start a server with various custom settings and then wait for players to join who accept those settings, or is it pick a game mode and go like COD? How much can you customize?

Xevy

Log Wizard
The guns shoot bullets and not blue lazers? In that way they ARE the same.

The giant fucking robots absorbing and rejecting missiles and bullets running about are very NOT Call of Duty.

bayr_sl

shitlord
wow the guns actually have zero recoil, I haven't played the latest couple CoDs but I've never seen no recoil whatsoever. The robot stuff looked ok I guess

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe the later unlocks have recoil but are stronger?

I mean if you watched someone playing BF4 with the AK 5C you'd say there wasn't any recoil either.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Give players high mobility. Then forget to give them motivation to use said mobility.

Should have made the game CTF.

Bizazedo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been trying to ignore / be patient concerning this game, but hearing good things leaking out from the Alpha. Argh, 51 days.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I watched and played this at a friends house today(also seems you have to allow EA to send you stupid offers via -opt in- to actually have gotten in). Its fun but not "as" amazing as i thought it would be? Seems like a mix between Ghost(w/ double jump and wall running) and Hawken.