Tokyo, Japan

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm going to be in the Yokosuka area and I'm moving here for work. As far as things to do I'm into running, hiking, food, anime/manga and general nerd shit. I could go into more detail but I feel like I'm filling out a dating app.

Well it's kind of like "I'm coming to America, what's good to do?" - really need to narrow it down to give good advice.

Yokosuka? Navy then? Yokosuka is a good 80 minutes away from the heart of Tokyo, I'm not an expert in that area, but I go to Yokohama fairly often and it's close. The Ramen Museum there is great, and Chinatown is always good for a nice niku-maan.

You can do anime nerd shit anywhere but the heart of it is Akihabara in Tokyo, you'll want to come up and check it out, as well as places like Odaiba, Asakusa, and if you like running, you can join the throngs running around the imperial palace, among runners it's kind of a rite of passage.

Don't worry about learning Japanese, most everything you'll need to know is in English, like train details, instructions and prices are in western numbers. Get used to carrying cash, many places don't accept credit cards. If you leave expensive stuff on the train or in a park, expect it to be handed in and returned to you. You might want to buy a small guidebook with common phrases in Japanese for more specific situations if you get into them.

It's summer right now so it's hot as balls, 30-35oC every day with high humidity. It's also Typhoon season, we've had several in the last week. Once winter hits, you'll get occasional snow and it will be cold, so bring a variety of clothes.

You'll want to save this website for travelling around. HyperDia | Timetable and Route Search in Japan.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Went to Roppongi last weekend, suffice to say, was not that impressed. The club was fun, gave me some free drink tickets, so I could spill some of my drinks on the dance floor. Haven't stayed out all night like that in a long time, hated seeing the Sun on the way home.

Got caught in between two Brazilians getting into a fight when I was walking down the street, lol; I have never seen anybody break a glass bottle and try to go at another person until then, luckily cops were right around the corner, but even they were having a hard time controlling the problem. All the other shit on the street was Nigerians and whores, the Nigerians didn't bother me too much though.

All in all is wasn't that bad of a night, just a really fucking long night and my body telling me I might be too old for this shit.

KRA!

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Went to Roppongi last weekend, suffice to say, was not that impressed. The club was fun, gave me some free drink tickets, so I could spill some of my drinks on the dance floor. Haven't stayed out all night like that in a long time, hated seeing the Sun on the way home.

Got caught in between two Brazilians getting into a fight when I was walking down the street, lol; I have never seen anybody break a glass bottle and try to go at another person until then, luckily cops were right around the corner, but even they were having a hard time controlling the problem. All the other shit on the street was Nigerians and whores, the Nigerians didn't bother me too much though.

All in all is wasn't that bad of a night, just a really fucking long night and my body telling me I might be too old for this shit.

KRA!

I've been too old for those kinds of clubs since I was 18. I never saw the point. The only club I let my friends drag me to is Bagus.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I had to see what Rappongi was all about, now I know. I love Bagus, but I love playing pool.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The friendly Nigerians will be more than happy to supply you. It's just that the penalties are so severe there that's it's not really worth the risk. Although I don't imagine the police make a point of targeting tourists.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah I have a good friend who lived in Japan for a while and he smoked weed there once when he went to some mountain village and was blown away because his impression there was that marijuana is something that the Yakuza do.

kudos

<Banned>
You'll have to be a bit more specific that that. Like where you will be living, why you will be here, where you are from, what you like to do etc.

At this rate we're gonna need to have a Rerolled Japan reunion.
He's going to be a military rapist.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Had a good weekend last weekend, went to Soul Fest in Yokohama and Keyaki beer and food festival in Saitama.

14372380_10157549558405268_1092302245755646782_o.jpg

14355096_1140757572682672_1750583712434070142_n.jpg

14368754_1140748726016890_8896509195262645416_n.jpg
14409638_10154357819996138_3743054946287515829_o.jpg

KRA!

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I miss Tokyo, especially the girls, they are fun as shit, I so need to go back.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
In my 30s I did a couple months work in Tokyo, I was offered a job while I was there. I kick myself everyday for not taking it. I would probably be a massive meth eating alcoholic had I stayed. People play hard in that town. Rolling out of a club at 5AM and showing up at work by 7 was not uncommon. I slept for 4 days when I got back stateside.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Going to Japan this year most likely. I am usually quite adept at making an itinerary of a few things I want to do then filling the rest with my own fun.

That being said. Any locations I should not overlook? Going for 2 weeks sticking to the Tokyo area in general. I will be doing Mt. Fuji however.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How intense is Mt Fuji? I'm jonesing for a lengthy international trip now that Peru is nearly a year behind me and Japan sounds fun. I might even go solo. I love the city life, but I also like to have an excursion or two to somewhere remote with beautiful landscapes for some hiking.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
How intense is Mt Fuji? I'm jonesing for a lengthy international trip now that Peru is nearly a year behind me and Japan sounds fun. I might even go solo. I love the city life, but I also like to have an excursion or two to somewhere remote with beautiful landscapes for some hiking.

6 hour day hike from what I've been reading.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Going to Japan this year most likely. I am usually quite adept at making an itinerary of a few things I want to do then filling the rest with my own fun.

That being said. Any locations I should not overlook? Going for 2 weeks sticking to the Tokyo area in general. I will be doing Mt. Fuji however.

I'll buy you a beer.

You're into anime I remember, so you should definitely hit up Asakusa, Akihabara and Odaiba. There are a lot of beautiful parks, gardens and temples in Tokyo, do some research, see if there are any you would like to spend time at.

Roppongi is great if you want some nightlife or to hook up. Pretty much a sure thing.

Mt Fuji is intense. If you want to get up there for the sunrise, you'll be setting out early evening. It's at least a 6-7 hour hike.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll buy you a beer.

You're into anime I remember, so you should definitely hit up Asakusa, Akihabara and Odaiba. There are a lot of beautiful parks, gardens and temples in Tokyo, do some research, see if there are any you would like to spend time at.

Roppongi is great if you want some nightlife or to hook up. Pretty much a sure thing.

Mt Fuji is intense. If you want to get up there for the sunrise, you'll be setting out early evening. It's at least a 6-7 hour hike.

I am not crazy on anime but I do enjoy it from time to time. I'll certainly go to Akihabara just to see the spectacle of it. Roppongi sounds cool too. Will likely be with my woman though on this trip.

I don't care about the sunrise on Fuji or anything will just set out in the AM and return by the late afternoon. Should be a good hike. Going to go to a beach around that area too somewhere for a day.