Tomb Raider (X360/PS3/PC)

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
.. My only real concern is that the stuff (you know, tombs) the series is known for is now optional content, and that seems like pretty silly game design if you're going to call your game Tomb Raider.
As a huge Tomb Raider fan I'm ok with this since it's an origin story.

Malkav

French Madman
Early unlock on Steam available with a New Zealand VPN.

Time to get this started.

Malkav

French Madman
Sooo, played it for 2 hours and a half on PC. The begining of the game is definitely great, very oppressing. I know some people won't like the QTE, but once you're past the first 30 minutes, it's all better.

The game is beautiful. Runs great on Ultimate, except for a few CTD, but I suspect the Nvidia drivers having a few problems with the game (they just released new betas ones with support for the game, downloading them and gonna try them out).

Oh, and killing whole fields of bad guys as Lara Croft with a bow is just thrilling. Good interactivity with the environment too. Killed to guys by shooting on a oil lamp above their head, shit was funny as hell.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Sooo, played it for 2 hours and a half on PC. The begining of the game is definitely great, very oppressing. I know some people won't like the QTE, but once you're past the first 30 minutes, it's all better.

The game is beautiful. Runs great on Ultimate, except for a few CTD, but I suspect the Nvidia drivers having a few problems with the game (they just released new betas ones with support for the game, downloading them and gonna try them out).

Oh, and killing whole fields of bad guys as Lara Croft with a bow is just thrilling. Good interactivity with the environment too. Killed to guys by shooting on a oil lamp above their head, shit was funny as hell.
Damn it. I do not need to buy another game right now.
frown.png

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm about 64% through the game and it's great. Almost like Uncharted meets Zelda. You get the cinematic play-throughs of areas, and you can travel back to them at any time (fast travel camp fires) after you've upgraded things like your bow or your axe to access new areas. Skill points and weapon upgrades come fairly often so you never feel stagnant with abilities. Oh, and the deaths during scripted sequences are pretty brutal. I've been stabbed through the face by sticks, shot through the throat with arrows and I'm pretty sure I got crushed under a boulder one time. Feels bad every time, man
frown.png

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Just beat the game. It does tell you when you're at the point of no return, and after you beat the game it'll tell you your completion percent (I finished at 70%) and says you can continue playing in order to complete any unfinished activities. I couldn't find an answer to if there's a postgame or not anywhere else so there ya go.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm a few hours in and enjoying it quite a bit. That being said, I'm playing it on "hard" and not too sure what the difficulty setting changed. I've never died outside of a failed QTE and my weapons/gear are as fully upgraded as they can be as soon as I acquire them because I have collected so many parts.

It's gorgeous on Ultra video settings and breathtaking on Ultimate (sadly it's an unplayable slideshow of 3-4 FPS for me).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
3-4FPS is generally a sign that you're trying to run TressFX on a nvidia card. Nvidia loves their proprietary shit (CUDA) and so their support for DirectCompute is an order of magnitude slower than AMD's.

I'm running PC/Ultimate with TressFX on and DoF off vs. PS3 side by side right now, and the difference is mind-blowing. The PC version is literally just about the best graphics I've ever seen in a game.

Great game too, I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I did Far Cry 3, and I'd put it on par with Uncharted 2. My only complaints are "fuck QTEs" and that the game is a little too easy.

Malkav

French Madman
3-4FPS is generally a sign that you're trying to run TressFX on a nvidia card. Nvidia loves their proprietary shit (CUDA) and so their support for DirectCompute is an order of magnitude slower than AMD's.

I'm running PC/Ultimate with TressFX on and DoF off vs. PS3 side by side right now, and the difference is mind-blowing. The PC version is literally just about the best graphics I've ever seen in a game.

Great game too, I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I did Far Cry 3, and I'd put it on par with Uncharted 2. My only complaints are "fuck QTEs" and that the game is a little too easy.
Well, I'm playing with TressFX on a GTX670 and I don't have this kind of problem. Weird.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah, game is gorgeous regardless of the platform you're playing it on. I'm sure PC is amazing, but even the PS3 had me dropping my jaw at a couple of scenes. The attention to detail when framing shots has a lot to do with it, I think.

I kept playing after I beat it and turned it off last night at 81% completion. Only things left are challenges (all of which are search and destroy) and GPS caches. Getting 100% outside of multiplayer trophies is probably only a 20-25 hr commitment.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
why the QTE?!!WHY?!!?!?
it's so unnatural and you even seen that shit over and over again in other games.and has nothing to do with Tomb Raider.
enjoying the game but not the QTE.

Malkav

French Madman
why the QTE?!!WHY?!!?!?
it's so unnatural and you even seen that shit over and over again in other games.and has nothing to do with Tomb Raider.
enjoying the game but not the QTE.
Oh, come on, after the first 30 minutes, you'll have like one QTE/hour if you rush the missions, not like it's every five minutes.

Except for the "Press X or you'll fall" moments, but seriously, it's not like it's hard, it's always the same thing, I don't even pay attention to them anymore.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Oh, come on, after the first 30 minutes, you'll have like one QTE/hour if you rush the missions, not like it's every five minutes.

Except for the "Press X or you'll fall" moments, but seriously, it's not like it's hard, it's always the same thing, I don't even pay attention to them anymore.
even 1 QTE is too much for me.
of course they don't exaggerate QTE like RE6 (what an awful game)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
QTE aren't even hard. 95% of the time they're triangle, so it's not like you're waiting to find out what button you'll push. The other 5% is square and you just mash it to win or tap it once to grab a ledge. They make sense in the contexts that they're put in.

Being mad that you have to hit a button to counter attack an enemy or grab on a ledge after you've slid down a hill 100 feet sounds exactly the same as complaining that you need to push R1 every time you want to fire your bow or gun.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They aren't 'hard' in the sense that the timing is extremely tight, but the PC version doesn't make it clear at all which button should be pressed a lot of the time. I failed one of the early ones like 10 times before I finally figured out which fucking button it wanted me to press. I'm not totally against QTEs, but I really despise ones that involve mashing keys. At least the gamepad controls use the triggers instead of L-stick waggling; that shit is the absolute worst.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah the left stick back and forth thankfully only happens a handful of times throughout the game. ALL of the rest of the QTE's are either triangle or square, or whatever the platform's equivalent is.

lindz

#DDs
QTEs are a bit akward on PC for sure, but overall I'm really liking the game so far. Absolutely gorgeous and runs very well.

Anyone know where to enter the pre-order codes?