Tomb Raider (X360/PS3/PC)

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I'm really enjoying the game. It feels more like Uncharted/Far Cry than it does a TR game, but the fun is there for sure. Gorgeous environments and models. Lara still looks hot although in a much more rugged way. I'm also running it on a 560ti Ultra (with shadows adjusted) and have only had 1 or 2 slowdowns. Game crashed in a few places but no biggie. Using my PS3 controller on PC and everything is smooth. Good times till SimCity gets its ass unfucked.

Stillborn_sl

shitlord
I have a Geforce 650 and a "latest rig" around it, I assume I should pick this up for that instead of the Xbox if best graphics are what I want?
I'm running on a laptop: i7-2675qm @ 2.2ghz w/ 8g RAM and amd radeon HD 6490M (when set to high performance in ccc). I'm running 1600x900 on low to medium settings @ 15-20 fps or so. If I turn down the settings i can run closer to 20fps all the time but the graphics look like shit.

However, I didn't get it for the xbox as I'm going to be going straight PC gaming from now on and will be building a gaming pc by the end of the year that'll handle this and anything else at ultra settings.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, you'll never be able to run any new game on the highest settings on a laptop. It's just not cost effective to have something like that nor is there even a reason to have that.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I could definitely do with fewer QTE's but for how they structured their narrative delivery it's a necessary evil. On a related note, I'm glad more and more dev studios are comfortable with using in-game assets for their cutscenes. I find it jarring when you're given this really awesome looking pre-rendered cinematic that looks nothing like the game you're playing.

As far as played time, I don't think it's too short, or at least it doesn't feel too short. I'm a sucker for all the "hidden" stuff and doing the challenges as I'm playing instead of going back after the game is over to complete them. I could see how you'd be a little disgruntled with the length if you just go from objective to objective. While that's obviously an option, I don't know that these kinds of games are using those gamers as their target audience.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I completed the game with 83% complete. It's not like I ignored everything, played for 1 hour more today and I'm up to 95% complete. That makes a grand total of ~8 hours time to get 95% of the way through. That's a very short game imo.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I wish the game told you how much time you've played. I was estimating my time at 15 hours before completing but I could be way off on that. I beat the game at 70% and played for another hour, got to 81%.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Confirming that the game is impossible to 100% complete unless you do it as you play through the game. The game will block you off from old zones disallowing you to get the requirements to complete the achievements. Very poor design, but typical ffrom game devs these days.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Which? Only one I had that kept me from getting from 99% to 100% that I can think of is 2 of the mines in one of the last areas. but hit 99% easy with every part aside from that.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He's probably talking about the kill trophies since there are limited amounts of enemies in the game.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
fuck the quicktime events.

Trying to play this game baked I couldn't get the millisecond "y" button presses when that russian fag tries to choke her to death...was forced to watch that miserable shit like 5 times in a row. What a buzz kill.

edit - Then the wolf cave quicktime event...fuck having to look at that ugly shit over and over again as you try to figure out which left and right they are fucking talking about. shit sucks

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
fuck the quicktime events.

Trying to play this game baked I couldn't get the millisecond "y" button presses when that russian fag tries to choke her to death...was forced to watch that miserable shit like 5 times in a row. What a buzz kill.
I probably watched that sequence 15 times... I didn't recognize the icon on the PC that was supposed to tell me to hit f to melee...

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Also think that wolf had some script issues in general. I died about 10 times in a row on a re-run through, because it refused to register I was hitting the left and right that i originally did. I had to buffer the commands and then it seemed to work.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Should be able to do Ultra or Ultimate with TressFX on pretty easily, depending on what resolution your monitor is.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Looks like there's a patch on Steam that helps with Nvidia issues.

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.0.717.1. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

This is a first update that addresses a variety of issues that we either found out about shortly before release or immediately after.

Fixes include:

- Addressed some stability issues on machines that have both Intel and Nvidia graphics hardware.
- Various small UI updates.
- Fix for players being unable to progress related to the boat in the beach area.
- Some fixes for crashes on startup and when selecting Options.
- Some improvements to TressFX hair rendering.
- Fixes for various smaller graphics glitches.
- Fixes related to the benchmark scene and benchmark mode.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone. If you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build716.5, that can be used to switch back to the previous version.

We expect further patches to follow fairly soon, addressing further issues we see being brought up by players, and are actively monitoring these and other forums looking for issues.pat
Nvidia also has said that they're working on drivers to fix some problems.:

We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn't receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.
In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

chilansl

Molten Core Raider
my pc is a i5 960 with radeon 6950 and 4gb ram. How i will run this game?
I don't know the capabilities of the radeon 6950 (current pricing seems to indicate it is pretty good), but I am running it just fine with a core2duo and 2gb ram with a nVidia 660, so you ought to do ok.

fucker_sl

shitlord
well...i just checked and looks like i did a fucking stupid mistake at the time to pick that card cause now it's out of the market and my plan to crossfire it when price was down is gone down the shitter

did they completely remove the 6000 serie when they introduced the 7000 or what?

also, looks like the 660 is better

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm using a 560Ti and I can run the second highest setting with 30+ FPS.