Tons of shows cancelled

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
doesnt Arrow count as broadcast TV? because arrow is the best godamned network tv show i have seen in years.
Yes, which is why all the other networks are trying to go superhero now. There's gonna be Gotham, some new Marvel stuff, and I think a couple more. They will probably all suck ala every other superhero show, like The Cape/AoS.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't watch often because I hate Zooey, but I know in the first season they had some absolutely great shows. Tried to watch a couple times since her and that guy hooked up and it was kinda lame.
I didn't start watching until the very end of the first season because I hated the commercials that made it look like the show was just going to focus on her being quirky and awkward. Which was a huge disservice to the show because it's an ensemble show and the rest of the roommates are what really make it shine. The shit where she acts like a kitten just released in to the wild who is baffled by basic human behavior is the worst. Nick getting angry at nothing is some of the best comedy out there though.

edit: Oh and on the subject of TV of the last 5 years. Try The Mindy Project. It is shockingly good. Latest season is on par with any other comedy out there on network TV.

iannis

Musty Nester
S1 New Girl is great. S2 starts getting a little less. This latest season has had 3 or 4 really funny episodes, and the rest have been treading water. The guys make the show.

What surprised me is that they put Jess together with one of the guys from the loft at all. It's a good story leading UP to it, but once you do that you've got nowhere left to take the show. I just wonder if they thought they were about to get cancelled or something.

This past season wasn't all bad by any means. There were still some good jokes/scenes/episodes. It just wasn't up to the standard they'd set for themselves in s1 and even s2. This season was just an awkward mess of them realizing they sorta made a mistake and hitting the reset button.

Edit: Nick with his Park Bench Zen Buddy kills me.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've actually had passing thoughts of bumping (creating?) the New Girl thread, cuz I thought it's been absolutely hilarious. Nick and Jess getting together hasn't bothered me in the slightest; I think it's been handled really well, IE funnily. If anything, the Schmidt/Cici relationship is a bit tired, but even that's amusing when it causes Winston to run off teasing Cici with "Cici's got a boyyyyfriend who used to be a faaaatty" lol

For my tastes, this show is like the height of 'weirdness' without being, for lack of a better word, meta. Compare it to Community. In Community, you have the school morphing into paintball arenas, future/retro caste society, a muppet episode and an episode in 8 bit pixels. That shit's weird. Funny, but weird, so knowing the 4th-wall-disregarding nature of the show, it works. Whereas with New Girl, it's just a bunch of really zany people. Nick's love/hate relationship with technology and his conversations with a mute Asian man, Schmidt's arrogance and anger, Coach being suave one minute and totally goofy the next, and then fucking Winston who's gone off the deep end (in a good way) this season. Oh and then the girls sometimes do some things, ideally involving their shirts not being on.

Oh btw I thought The Neighbors was pretty funny too. The two big negatives were it was a bit sitcommy at times and I really didn't care for the youngest alien kid (he and the asian girl from Modern Family are so painfully rigid in their delivery), but besides that there were some really funny bits. Not on the level of P&R, New Girl etc but still way above most of the other comedies out there.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The finale of Star-Crossed set up a potentially crazy second season, unfortunately it got cancelled so.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Haven't even heard of half the shows that got cancelled which is a big marketing problem too.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Zooey Deschanel grates on every one of my nerves. I cannot stand her, therefore New Girl will never be watched in my house. She is an atrocious actress and an even worse singer. Why the hell is she so popular?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Zooey Deschanel grates on every one of my nerves. I cannot stand her, therefore New Girl will never be watched in my house. She is an atrocious actress and an even worse singer. Why the hell is she so popular?
She's the epitome of the "clumsy awkward girl that is actually a beautiful woman" that all ugly and/or fat girls aspire to be. Sort of like Bella in Twilight. She's unassuming enough that girls aren't threatened by her, and cute enough that guys still find her attractive.

I definitely think she's cute, and I don't hate her at all, but I don't really get the fascination either.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
The enjoyment I had for New Girl was in spite of Zooey. The show has a strong supporting cast that works well together. But I find myself enjoying the show less and less as time goes on, and I think that's because rather than toning down Zooey to play to the strengths of the ensemble, they've instead ratcheted up the zaniness of the rest of the characters to fit better with her. Each character has become a caricature of what they were in earlier episodes. I mean, Winston is practically a psychopath at this point.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The enjoyment I had for New Girl was in spite of Zooey. The show has a strong supporting cast that works well together. But I find myself enjoying the show less and less as time goes on, and I think that's because rather than toning down Zooey to play to the strengths of the ensemble, they've instead ratcheted up the zaniness of the rest of the characters to fit better with her. Each character has become a caricature of what they were in earlier episodes. I mean, Winston is practically a psychopath at this point.
Yeah, if there was ever a show that could be referred to as avehiclefor an actress, it is New Girl. It's like they just ram the quirky, awkward, hipster, cuteness down your throat every time she is on screen and/or has a line. It makes me violent. However, like everyone else has said, the supporting cast far outweighs her BS and for that we keep watching. The whole Nick and Zooey romance plot was almost enough to make me walk away. Never have I seen so much celebration of so much worthlessness embodied in two characters... I'd watch a Schmidt and Winston Odd Couple show (or Cece threeway) in a heartbeat, nohomo.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think not knowing who the fuck Zooey Deschanel was, besides for Bones' sister, was a blessing when it came to this.

I wouldn't watch a sitcom starring Jessica Simpson. And if it had as good of a supporting cast as New Girl does/did, then it would be my loss!

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow I have no taste. I actually grew to like Revolution after the terribad 1st season. While I was expecting them to get canceled all season, I kind of hate to see it go without it coming to a real conclusion. That is part of my problem... even if a show is terrible if it has an overall arc I usually stick with it because I feel like I need to see how it all wraps up. Unless it just goes off the rails like Revenge did... that shit just got stupid and then got 90210. I'm absolutely stunned it wasn't on that list, actually.