Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 Remaster

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
That’s the best thing about these games, the controls aren’t that difficult. I’ve tried several different modern skating games and the controls have all been fucking horrible. They tout them as “realistic” because one hand is one foot and the other hand is the other foot but I can tell you, as a skateboarder there is nothing related to skateboarding at all in controller hand motion.

I actually played PS1 Tony Hawk about a month ago because I tried a new modern skating game on steam and it was such a pile of shit. After one hour I couldn’t even do a 50-50. It was so not fun.

THPS is just a button push and a direction and keeping balance on grinds, it’s simple, a little challenging, and really fun. I couldn’t pull off the multigrind, 12 trick combo shit I did as a kid but it’s because I just played for an hour to satisfy my skating game urge and put it away.

The modern ones arent that bad, if my 43 year old ass could figure it out, anyone could.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
This is the nostalgia trip I need.

Time to go back to getting super high and hanging out in my mom and step dad’s basement. It’s been at least a few weeks since I’ve done that.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

youTube's algo found that guy for me and I thought people in this thread might enjoy him :

He also makes videos dedicated to a single trick, be it famous classic tricks or, and that's pretty relevant for this thread, tricks featured in THPS.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
While working at home I’ve been watching new skate videos and am blown away how good these kids are now. Like they are combining so many things I never would have thought possible by so many people. Guys doing ridiculous wall ride tricks based purely off of pressure and not foot manipulation. I watched a 90s skate video (when I skated) and everything was just one trick, sometimes two, just on something big. Some of the stuff they slo-mo back then is just so weak compared to the guys now.

I remember back then thinking am/pro was something achievable if you just put the time in. I could land nearly everything in the 90s skate video, it was just a matter of consistency and going bigger. I even skated with some pros back then and got complimented on some shit I was landing because it was on their level, I just couldn’t stick it 10/10 tries like they could. A kid starting to skate now, this shit does not look achievable at all to me lol. It’s like you have to be insanely good, insanely consistent, be able to combine multiples tricks, able to do it switch and regular, have your own tricks no one else does, and skate on fucking ridiculous terrain/objects people in the 90s never even would have looked at.

Just blew my mind how much further they have been able to push it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ha, ya I've been watching a bunch of surfing videos in lock down to quell the itch and it's absolutely crazy how far these guys are pushing the envelope now, particularly on big waves. Not sure what that could be attributed to either, as it's not a fitness thing. Perhaps it's just all mental and seeing somebody else do something innately pushes you to take it a little further, then a little further then eventually it's so advanced the guys you learned from are going "WTF?"

Like how Greg Noll was looking at Laird and Shane and those guys going - dude, you guys are fucking nuts.

• 1Solidarity

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Ha, ya I've been watching a bunch of surfing videos in lock down to quell the itch and it's absolutely crazy how far these guys are pushing the envelope now, particularly on big waves. Not sure what that could be attributed to either, as it's not a fitness thing. Perhaps it's just all mental and seeing somebody else do something innately pushes you to take it a little further, then a little further then eventually it's so advanced the guys you learned from are going "WTF?"

Like how Greg Noll was looking at Laird and Shane and those guys going - dude, you guys are fucking nuts.

I have heard Tony Hawk say something similar. He said a lot of times the hardest part about a trick is whether or not its possible, but once its seen that it is possible its just a matter of getting your body to do what's necessary and that generally just takes time

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
]

Craziest motherfucker in Skateboarding, Aaron Homoki aka Jaws. Dude is nuts.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
]

Craziest motherfucker in Skateboarding, Aaron Homoki aka Jaws. Dude is nuts.

Yeah that 25 stair was nuts. Biggest I ever did was a 12 and it didn’t feel good on the knees, even when you landed it. Can’t imagine double that. His knees have to be throbbing as soon as he wakes up every day.

• 1Like

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Yeah that 25 stair was nuts. Biggest I ever did was a 12 and it didn’t feel good on the knees, even when you landed it. Can’t imagine double that. His knees have to be throbbing as soon as he wakes up every day.
i think to this day he's the only person to do that shit. That was what 6 years ago and dude is still doing crazy shit at 30 years old. lol

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
i think to this day he's the only person to do that shit. That was what 6 years ago and dude is still doing crazy shit at 30 years old. lol

I feel like absolute shit at 40. He is probably going to be contemplating suicide daily by then haha

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That’s the best thing about these games, the controls aren’t that difficult. I’ve tried several different modern skating games and the controls have all been fucking horrible. They tout them as “realistic” because one hand is one foot and the other hand is the other foot but I can tell you, as a skateboarder there is nothing related to skateboarding at all in controller hand motion.

I actually played PS1 Tony Hawk about a month ago because I tried a new modern skating game on steam and it was such a pile of shit. After one hour I couldn’t even do a 50-50. It was so not fun.

THPS is just a button push and a direction and keeping balance on grinds, it’s simple, a little challenging, and really fun. I couldn’t pull off the multigrind, 12 trick combo shit I did as a kid but it’s because I just played for an hour to satisfy my skating game urge and put it away.

THPS was one of the few games were the achievements were fun to get.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Rogan has his own thread in music but thought I'd link it here

• 1Repost

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I still play THPS:HD, even though it gets a lotta shit. What can I say? I'm drunk, the game's simple, single player. Why not play it?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I still play THPS:HD, even though it gets a lotta shit. What can I say? I'm drunk, the game's simple, single player. Why not play it?

I dig it. It’s why i play Super Mega Baseball 3 right now with an oversized glass of whiskey. I can get tuned up and listen to music with simple and fun game.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A bunch of fucking stupid tricks to show you how ridiculous skateboarding is now.

• 4Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
These dudes are really out there trying to replicate tony hawk tricks, christ lmao

There’s a ridiculous amount of crazy stuff these guys are doing these days. Check out the talent on this guy, shit is mind blowing.

It’s a four part thing, each section is a bit different in style.

Last edited:
  • 1Like