Top Chef

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
Fatima Ali, the chef I mentioned 2 years ago almost 3 posts back, died a year ago from cancer at age 29. sad

season 17 of top chef started last night. i'll wait out a few episodes and binge it up i guess, i'm more morbidly curious how the show is gonna deal with covid near the end, I assume 2/3'ds of the episodes have already been filmed but not the finale for sure

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This thread bump is timely as I was just thinking of this show. The last meal I ate before starting my work from home/quarantine two weeks ago was at one of Stephanie Izard restaurants and had the realization that I haven’t watched this show since Richard Blais won. I think that was 10 years ago?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
This thread bump is timely as I was just thinking of this show. The last meal I ate before starting my work from home/quarantine two weeks ago was at one of Stephanie Izard restaurants and had the realization that I haven’t watched this show since Richard Blais won. I think that was 10 years ago?
I haven't watched in a couple years too. I might watch this one since it's another All Star season.

spronk

FPS noob
season 17 is easily the best season of Top Chef ever, its not really a big surprise who wins but it was great watching every step. The last 4-5 episodes take place in Italy and it was filmed back in Nov/Dec, right before all the shit hit the fan, so its pretty interesting watching a pre-covid world.

Only real criticism is that there are still way too many episodes per season, season 17 was 14 episodes and they could easily whittle it down to 7-8 episodes by having a few double or triple eliminations. Last Chance Kitchen has also become super unwieldy.

Padma Lakshmi has a new show on Hulu called Taste the Nation

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
season 18 started last week, takes place in Portland and sounds like a regular season (albeit filmed in "a bubble" due to covid). Probably wait until its nearly finished airing before I start watching since the show is a bit boring now.

I did see Padme on some David Chang netflix show the other day, was pretty interesting

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
season 18 started last week, takes place in Portland and sounds like a regular season (albeit filmed in "a bubble" due to covid). Probably wait until its nearly finished airing before I start watching since the show is a bit boring now.

I did see Padme on some David Chang netflix show the other day, was pretty interesting

From how they were talking, I imagine it was filmed in late august to sometime in september. A bunch of them mentioned not having picked up knives or cooked and plated in a proper kitchen for nearly 6 months.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched this first episode and it actually wasn't terrible considering I've skipped this show the past 10+ years... in fact, the whole episode was worth it to hear Padma give Richard Blais shit about his ridiculous hair.

spronk

FPS noob
we just binged through season 20, easily the best season since the voltaggio's and crazy good finale. Pretty sure I knew who the winner was gonna be going in but it was still a bit of a nail biter and i think it coulda gone a different way if it wasn't for a mistake (being vague for anyone who hasnt finished)

sadly Padma announced last week that was her final season after 18 years, she didn't say it on the finale (classy lady) but you could tell in this scene. also she has really nice tits

I'm not sure I'm really interested in a show without her, but I guess we'll see who they get to replace her

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
we just binged through season 20, easily the best season since the voltaggio's and crazy good finale. Pretty sure I knew who the winner was gonna be going in but it was still a bit of a nail biter and i think it coulda gone a different way if it wasn't for a mistake (being vague for anyone who hasnt finished)

sadly Padma announced last week that was her final season after 18 years, she didn't say it on the finale (classy lady) but you could tell in this scene. also she has really nice tits

I'm not sure I'm really interested in a show without her, but I guess we'll see who they get to replace her
I haven't watched Top Chef in years now. It got too boring and formulaic.

Also Gail Simmons had the better rack. Even better post pregnancy.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also Gail Simmons had the better rack. Even better post pregnancy.
Yes she did. I loved Gail.

If this season was as good as Voltaggio season then maybe I'll give it a shot... that was the last one I ever watched.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This season was pretty good. We also just finished rewatching Season 2 and man it is such a huge difference in quality. Like those bozos hazing each other and shaving their heads. At that point the idea of being on a reality show was new-ish and everyone was treating it like Real World and Road Rules. The it occurs to them or to E! that no one wants to hire a bunch of idiots that can't compose themselves and act professional. Definitely were some growing pains even if the early seasons had some gems.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Yes she did. I loved Gail.

If this season was as good as Voltaggio season then maybe I'll give it a shot... that was the last one I ever watched.
every person in this season was a winner or finalist from a Top Chef season somewhere in the world. From about episode 2 or 3 on, every episode basically feels like the cooking of a finale.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Binged all the seasons with the lady over the last few months and really enjoyed the show. I wish they would've kept the reunion honestly. The first few seasons were pretty dramatic, but my animal brain liked that.

Season 20 had a ton of great talent, so that was fun, but the season almost felt a bit lacking. We thought the finale was really underwhelming. Usually it's a big ordeal, but it was pretty tame. Pretty clear the winner got lucky, someone else fucked up badly. I still enjoy the show. I wonder who the replacement will be. Kristen Kish? Seems like one of the obvious choices, but I'm not sure she quite has "it".

spronk

FPS noob

she's the tall asian lady who won a few seasons ago and has come back a few times to judge, i think she was a host on iron chef too. i like her, she's super professional and charismatic but i don't think you can really replace padma

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Padma really is/was a host of hosts. Just top marks in Looks, Charisma, Passion and Knowledge of the show's subject matter, etc; trying to directly replace her was never going to happen, getting a relatively young winner who has proven to be a good guest judge really was their best option.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

she's the tall asian lady who won a few seasons ago and has come back a few times to judge, i think she was a host on iron chef too. i like her, she's super professional and charismatic but i don't think you can really replace padma
Obvious choice, although I'm not sure it's a good one.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
She hosted "Restaurants At The End Of The World" for NatGeo which was pretty interesting. She's no Padma, but they could have done much much worse.

I think it's going to be fun watching a former contestant be the host.