Top Gun (1986)

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
yeah. there's just something awesome about the warthog. just a big ugly plane with a big ugly gun. did you know that they've been trying to retire it for like 30 years, but it keeps outperforming everything that they just can't justify letting it go? every year they do mock dogfights in nevada and the a-10 wins every year. like, they put it up against f-22's and f-35's and it's undeafeted.

I 100% know that. I follow the A-10 like a lovesick puppy. Every year I wish it a happy BRRRRRRTT day.

Edit: it's the Warhammer 40k Ork plane. It works because it hates you and enough people believe it should.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I 100% know that. I follow the A-10 like a lovesick puppy. Every year I wish it a happy BRRRRRRTT day.

Edit: it's the Warhammer 40k Ork plane. It works because it hates you and enough people believe it should.

uh... i think... bro is this the part where we kiss? >.>

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Top Gun: Maverick casting breakdown reveals new call signs
top-gun-maverick.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
And my drunken post of a completely bullshit made up plot...looks like it may happen!

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Delayed because Tom Cruise is going through flight training to actually fly the planes.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is the "All-Ethnicities" just a CYA for casting directors/the studio?

There's no way they would cast 4-5 ethnic people, even if they are best choice, right?

Just struck me as disingenuous. Yeah I see the "Nordic male" for the stereotypical "Viking dude", but find it disingenuous that they are really considering all ethnicities for many other roles. Even if they lowball and cast 3 "ethnics" out of that call, that's still going to be more distracting than anything else considering there aren't many ethnic flight pilots (someone else can pull the USAF statistics if they want). I just find it hard to believe they are giving "ANYONE AND EVERYONE" a genuine opportunity.

Fadaar

That guy
Is the "All-Ethnicities" just a CYA for casting directors/the studio?

There's no way they would cast 4-5 ethnic people, even if they are best choice, right?

Just struck me as disingenuous. Yeah I see the "Nordic male" for the stereotypical "Viking dude", but find it disingenuous that they are really considering all ethnicities for many other roles. Even if they lowball and cast 3 "ethnics" out of that call, that's still going to be more distracting than anything else considering there aren't many ethnic flight pilots (someone else can pull the USAF statistics if they want). I just find it hard to believe they are giving "ANYONE AND EVERYONE" a genuine opportunity.

They're almost exclusively mid-20's to early 30's white guys

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We heard some rumors yesterday that the Top Gun people were around (the only other rumors had them filming around Thanksgiving, since most of the place will be shut down).

Anyway, my wife said they saw a couple F-14's painted green flying around. They may have been adversary planes, but we generally don't see F-14's here. Also possible that they were F-14's painted to look like MiGs or whatever the bad guy in Top Gun 2 is supposed to be.

There were also truckloads of people driving on the dirt roads near the runway which is something that generally doesn't happen. Likely related.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not too long ago Half in the Bag was talking about Mission Impossible and how it's essentially just become home videos of a rich guy (Tom Cruise) doing cool shit that we get to pay to watch.

Tom was doing some Super Hornet flying around today. Not sure how much more filming they've got, but I guess he might be doing a few days of it (I didn't go out to the flight line, assuming it's not completely cordoned off with filming anyway).

He's been sitting in the back seat with a stick, and apparently he really wanted to be in the front seat and they said, "Not a chance." Tom then asked how much an F/A-18 costs.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
He's been sitting in the back seat with a stick, and apparently he really wanted to be in the front seat and they said, "Not a chance." Tom then asked how much an F/A-18 costs.
It's reasonable. US$70.5 million (2017 flyaway cost)

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users