Torchlight: Infinite

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'll admit, I haven't played the game. But I'm seeing a whole lot of similarities mentioned here and Palsteron's videos. CoC, CwC, endgame mapping, currency grinding instead of picking stuff up, there's probably more. Just noticed a more than a bit of "hey, just like in PoE".

Note, I'm not saying they can't copy PoE. I wish someone would, they've been fucking up the last few leagues. This game might be it. Art direction is a bit weird, but whatever. Microtransactions are the biggest question mark. Not sure I want to condone renting a loot pet.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Granted I didnt play this long, only like the first zone up to like lv10 or some shit? was not impressed with what I saw and deleted it. Not saying its not good or whatever jsut didnt get any good vibes from it. Plus it looks and feels like a mobile game which is a big turn off on PC for me at least.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
They need to get this shit working on steam deck and my interest would probably return...

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Gave this a go, gameplay is as expected, skills and how you can make builds is cool. What kills it for me is all the extra clicking, every 10 seconds to 2 minutes you have to navigate menus and sub-menus and find what they are trying to give you then click on it then click accept then close. Repeat over and over... otherwise the popup doesn’t go away.

Not sure WTF they were thinking.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm just glad they've managed to redeem the Torchlight IP with this one

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm just glad they've managed to redeem the Torchlight IP with this one
I think that they have redeemed themselves as game designers and I hope it's successful (I don't think it was based on guides etc at launch).

The IP still sucks though and isn't redeemed at all.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I think that they have redeemed themselves as game designers and I hope it's successful (I don't think it was based on guides etc at launch).

The IP still sucks though and isn't redeemed at all.
What even is the Torchlight IP at this point? They use some of the same names and design aesthetics, but they've totally retconned the entire setting from the first two games. Torchlight was the name of a town, not a superhero co-op.

The game itself played great, but given that it's basically a parallel single player game with a weak setting I burned out pretty fast.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Best they can do is make a new IP and leverage the Torchlight IP as "from the developers of Diablo and Torchlight".

There's no point trying to make Torchlight be a thing, I played three of these games now and I still don't get it.

Problem is that these people are not cultured at all and only know superhero comics and other video games. They need an insane mystic in the basement who knows something like Lurianic Kabaala and can emerge with an esoteric system of gods like Square-Enix apparently have.

Metzen seems to be into some sort of Demonology amongst other things and is sorely missed for these guys (Blizzard too, which is why they got him back).

Last edited:

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Is Metzen gonna be like Cavill and disregard woke retards? That's the only hope

bolok

Molten Core Raider
New season for this tomorrow. I’ll probably play through a couple map tiers with the new skillls at least.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
New season mechanic does look cool.

They put this in with the battlepass starting as early as lvl 1:

1673650014485.png

Pretty god damn pay to win right there

bolok

Molten Core Raider
A bit, but I don’t pay for f2p games. So I’ll pick her up next season. They have 2 variants avail with the f2p currency this time. The ice chick and the shotgun ranged guy. Game bumped up the mob hit points so seems a bit harder. Although I haven’t nailed down a good early build for the dot based monk guy yet. Once I can actually do some actual dps thatll be nice.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Tried coming back for new season and playing through the story again is unbearable. They really need an alternative levelling path.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
It's been ages so I don't recall the previous torchlight games as much. Infinite feels like they iterated upon Last Epoch, poor independent dev team, with plenty stolen from Path of Exile. I would pay $15 per league for a similarly limited currency looting pet in PoE; it's part of the monthly pass with other rewards in TLI. But, the loot vacuum button is good enough for those that don't want to pay. Most of the QoL changes I would ever want TLI has. The game doesn't explain any in-game mechanics, but that's normal now and even more so for games with similar monetization. Gacha for pets with some player power is minor p2w.

So far, TLI doesn't have the map density of PoE. Granted, I'm only doing tm7 maps, 8 is the end game with a damage/def increase similar to 100% delirium in PoE, and I haven't used much for mapping resources yet. It is nice not having to roll maps and pay attention for build countering mods. The game is fewer clicks; the mapping I'm doing is about a third of the clicks of even alch and go mapping in PoE(getting old sucks).

I had more fun this weekend playing this than I had recently with PoE. I didn't even bother with this d4 beta weekend. I feel that the mobile tag drove people off, it's why I hadn't given it any attention, and it's one of the best ARPGs out ATM.

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
They really went hard with P2W like we smelt coming

Well, sort of, I'm complaining a bit much about the 20% runspeed/autoloot pet that they give with season pass

• 1Worf

Judge_Mental

Trakanon Raider
It's been ages so I don't recall the previous torchlight games as much. Infinite feels like they iterated upon Last Epoch, poor independent dev team, with plenty stolen from Path of Exile. I would pay $15 per league for a similarly limited currency looting pet in PoE; it's part of the monthly pass with other rewards in TLI. But, the loot vacuum button is good enough for those that don't want to pay. Most of the QoL changes I would ever want TLI has. The game doesn't explain any in-game mechanics, but that's normal now and even more so for games with similar monetization. Gacha for pets with some player power is minor p2w.

So far, TLI doesn't have the map density of PoE. Granted, I'm only doing tm7 maps, 8 is the end game with a damage/def increase similar to 100% delirium in PoE, and I haven't used much for mapping resources yet. It is nice not having to roll maps and pay attention for build countering mods. The game is fewer clicks; the mapping I'm doing is about a third of the clicks of even alch and go mapping in PoE(getting old sucks).

I had more fun this weekend playing this than I had recently with PoE. I didn't even bother with this d4 beta weekend. I feel that the mobile tag drove people off, it's why I hadn't given it any attention, and it's one of the best ARPGs out ATM.
Torchlight Infinite is basically POE arcade edition. its fun, fast and easily put down like diablo 3 after the enjoyment wears off. Sadly, because its a mobile game you will never get the super juiced density. In the first season of TLI, if you did super juice your maps with density, all the mobs would poof (cant remember if it was a mobile failsafe or a rollover problem).