Torrents

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have gigabit and I'm still at like a 1.08 ratio. But I have stuff deleted after they seed long enough so maybe I need to change that to perma-seed some stuff.
Well, it seems things have changed. I remember when I had 10 or 20 up, I was able to seed a LOT better. Guess that doesn't matter anymore. So what's the trick? Even getting popular shows, that you know are gonna get grabbed like crazy, such as GoT, don't even get you ratio. :(

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I mean I've got 200/200 net, it's not that it's doing it slow, it's that it literally wont' connect to anyone to upload at all. Happened at my old house and I thought it was something to do with the ISP settings so I just gave up and waited untill I moved, but it's happening the same here. So I'm wondering if it's something to do with the way my ports are set up or some other set up issue on my end.

You might need to port forward maybe? There should be plenty of guides on how to get connectable.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
stupid question inc.... anyone have a really dumbed down guide to how to get connectable? I'm running Deluge and I can download shit fine, but after that it always just says seeding and never actually seeds anything which is a problem bcause my ratio's in the shitter and i got turned off at iptorrents once already (just donated to get vip back on for a couple weeks so I could fix ratio but still can't get fucking stuff to seed)
What you need to understand is called Port Forwarding. It has to do with accessing your router and allocating a specific port to be directed to your torrent client at a specific IP address. You can google it and find thousands of guides, but essentially you will first want to give your PC a static IP address. This makes it so that you can now tell your router that any time it gets a request from the torrent peers (which can be over a multitude of ports) the router will send it to a single specific port on a specific device. Otherwise, your router would have to try to connect to dozens/hundreds/thousands of different ports for each peer in the swarm. Now, any request gets directed to that one port, which Deluge is listening on (you'll configure Deluge with this port as well), and bam, you're connectable.

Yeah, it is more complicated than that, but like I said, google port forwarding deluge and I promise you'll have tons of videos and articles that say it better than I can.

Here is one video. I didn't watch it, but you can check several that might explain it better for you. From clicking through it though, it looks like it hits most of the salient points.

Also, turn off DHT as directed by every private torrent site. That makes it so you don't connect to "public" torrent clients, thereby potentially wasting all of your upload to some shmuck that isn't even a member of IPT, and also throwing off your ability to see if you are 1:1 ratio on a specific torrent.

As far as the talk about ratio on IPT, as stated many times, you don't need a seedbox. You either let it go until it gets 1:1 (which might never happen if your upload is weak) or let it seed for the required time limit (336 hours, or 14 days...should be easy for us to remember!). Then you can delete it or keep it going and you won't get a Hit n Run. But Void, that doesn't help my ratio! True, but as long as you keep 15 torrents seeding at all times, regardless of size, you will earn bonus points every hour (but only if you are connectable). If you really start running into ratio problems, spend those points on extra GBs, since aside from erasing HnRs, there is really nothing else to spend those points on. Those purchased GBs act exactly as if you uploaded that amount. Unless you go hog wild and have the absolute worst upload ever, you should be able to keep pace easily as long as you never get HnRs.

EDIT: I see dizzie posted while I was taking forever to make this post at work with the same port forwarding info.

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Everyone here will say it's easy as shit to get ratio on IPT. It's possible but I don't think it's easy anymore. I could be wrong but you ain't seeding shit unless you're running a seed box or a home connection that has crazy upload. So these symmetrical fiber plans that do 100/100 down/up or the lucky ones on Google or AT&T fiber with 1000/1000. My shit ass Comcast upload at 5 up? I'll grab the latest game of thrones episode minutes after it drops get maybe a couple megs upload from it.

Good thing for bonus points because it's annoying as fuck now.
Makes me wonder. Are your ports forwarded properly? I see you mention this every few months, but only getting a few MB on any torrent is a prime example of not being connectable. Peers send requests, and your client responds to a few, but doesn't know how to keep up with all of them, so the peers eventually think, "Fuck this guy, he never responds to my calls!" and they all start ignoring you, and at that point you're fucked. I don't know if they actually keep a list of "bad peers" but it sort of seems like once you are labeled that way, they will only rarely even try you at all.

If you are connectable, you should be getting more than just a few MB on at least *some* torrents. Maybe you are being hyperbolic, and you get more occasionally, but you are just frustrated at your low upload speed. I get that, but I still find it hard to believe you can't get 1:1 on at least some files.

Crone

Makes me wonder. Are your ports forwarded properly? I see you mention this every few months, but only getting a few MB on any torrent is a prime example of not being connectable. Peers send requests, and your client responds to a few, but doesn't know how to keep up with all of them, so the peers eventually think, "Fuck this guy, he never responds to my calls!" and they all start ignoring you, and at that point you're fucked. I don't know if they actually keep a list of "bad peers" but it sort of seems like once you are labeled that way, they will only rarely even try you at all.

If you are connectable, you should be getting more than just a few MB on at least *some* torrents. Maybe you are being hyperbolic, and you get more occasionally, but you are just frustrated at your low upload speed. I get that, but I still find it hard to believe you can't get 1:1 on at least some files.
Void swooping in with the hard truths!! haha. Naw, last Christmas I downloaded a shit ton of Hallmark movies for the in-laws. Many of those hit at least 3/4th ratio, maybe a couple hit 1:1. Although I'm going to go back through and double check my ports, and see what's up. I know that I have DHT turned off, but wanna double check my port forwarding.

I suppose I should re-phrase, because without any "extra" effort, I've been able to maintain acceptable ratio at IPT, and have about 75k bonus points. So it's easy. But you're right, every few months I start to pay attention and it's annoying AF that I can't get more ratio than I do.

Thanks for the write-up though. I'll Google some, and watch the video, and double check shit. Hopefully I'm not on the perma bad peer list and can get "more connectable".

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you have 75k bonus points can't you just increase your ratio?

Also if you're hitting 1:1 that means your ration will be aiming towards 1.00 right?

Crone

If you have 75k bonus points can't you just increase your ratio?

Also if you're hitting 1:1 that means your ration will be aiming towards 1.00 right?
Yea, its above 1.00 but slowly, ever so slowly declining. I'm pretty sure my ports are fucked up and so I'll fix those and I'll be in ratio bliss!

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
What you need to understand is called Port Forwarding. It has to do with accessing your router and allocating a specific port to be directed to your torrent client at a specific IP address. You can google it and find thousands of guides, but essentially you will first want to give your PC a static IP address. This makes it so that you can now tell your router that any time it gets a request from the torrent peers (which can be over a multitude of ports) the router will send it to a single specific port on a specific device. Otherwise, your router would have to try to connect to dozens/hundreds/thousands of different ports for each peer in the swarm. Now, any request gets directed to that one port, which Deluge is listening on (you'll configure Deluge with this port as well), and bam, you're connectable.

Yeah, it is more complicated than that, but like I said, google port forwarding deluge and I promise you'll have tons of videos and articles that say it better than I can.

Here is one video. I didn't watch it, but you can check several that might explain it better for you. From clicking through it though, it looks like it hits most of the salient points.

Also, turn off DHT as directed by every private torrent site. That makes it so you don't connect to "public" torrent clients, thereby potentially wasting all of your upload to some shmuck that isn't even a member of IPT, and also throwing off your ability to see if you are 1:1 ratio on a specific torrent.

As far as the talk about ratio on IPT, as stated many times, you don't need a seedbox. You either let it go until it gets 1:1 (which might never happen if your upload is weak) or let it seed for the required time limit (336 hours, or 14 days...should be easy for us to remember!). Then you can delete it or keep it going and you won't get a Hit n Run. But Void, that doesn't help my ratio! True, but as long as you keep 15 torrents seeding at all times, regardless of size, you will earn bonus points every hour (but only if you are connectable). If you really start running into ratio problems, spend those points on extra GBs, since aside from erasing HnRs, there is really nothing else to spend those points on. Those purchased GBs act exactly as if you uploaded that amount. Unless you go hog wild and have the absolute worst upload ever, you should be able to keep pace easily as long as you never get HnRs.

EDIT: I see dizzie posted while I was taking forever to make this post at work with the same port forwarding info.
aweome, thanks Void think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Going to try to get it set up tonight when i get home.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yea, its above 1.00 but slowly, ever so slowly declining. I'm pretty sure my ports are fucked up and so I'll fix those and I'll be in ratio bliss!
I didn't even notice the fact that you have 75k bonus points. Shit, that's a fuckload. I have 113k and I've had an account longer, with a seedbox, but you really aren't that far behind. Every 10k is 120GB of upload credit, so unless you fall behind by more than a freaking terabyte, you've got nothing to worry about with all those points.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Says it caps at 15. Is that accurate? I'm at 7k and haven't spent any in 3+ months with 15 going constantly. Having 113k points is quite a long time of constant seeding. Years worth...

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Says it caps at 15. Is that accurate? I'm at 7k and haven't spent any in 3+ months with 15 going constantly. Having 113k points is quite a long time of constant seeding. Years worth...
I believe (but could be wrong) that there wasn't a cap in the past, or it was much higher, which is part of how I got so many. I'm fairly certain the cap is 15 like it says right now, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere that shows the calculations either, so who knows.

Also, yes, I've been a member since Dec. 22nd, 2009, so lots of time to build up those points. I've also got a 38TB upload buffer (after subtracting download total), but I have had a seedbox for years so that might not be feasible for everyone. However, my very first "ratio builder" was a 1GB Girls Gone Wild freeleech video that I downloaded Day 1, and I got well over 100GB of upload out of that thing...on DSL. That's why I say that if you just keep stuff seeding, you'll eventually get that upload regardless of your speed.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has anyone an ipt invite they could share ?
I don't know how to repay but we can surely find a solution.
I have a 1000/1000 connection.
Thank !

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone got an invite for something that's good for epub, even 0-day?
Get an IRC client. I use pchat portable.
Connect to irc.irchighway.net.
Go to channel #ebooks.
Wait a minute or so after you connect, as there is a delay before you can search.
You might also have to register a nickname, I forget if that's required now or not.
Use "@search" followed by whatever you are searching for. (Rarely the search function is down, so you'll see people doing stuff like "@searchook" where ook is one of the providers in the channel.
If you get some results, it will download a zipped text file with all the results.
Open that up, and find what you are looking for.
Highlight the entry you want all the way to the extension (usually .rar, .zip, .mobi, etc.) Leave off the size info.
Paste that into the IRC chat window.
If you did it right, the provider will show that they received your request, and depending upon how fast they are, the size of their queue, etc. it might start immediately or it might take 10 minutes. You'll eventually figure out which ones are faster. "Pondering" is usually very fast. Occasionally they will show up in the search results but be offline, so you'll get no response. Just check on the user list for their name and see if they are online.
Once it downloads, the easiest thing to do is drag the file into Calibre (ebook program), where you can convert it to other formats, send it to kindles via the kindle emails, etc.
Repeat for as many books as you want.

Some of the providers have separate 0-day lists that aren't accessed by the @search command, they will periodically spam how to download them. Once you do that, you can unzip them and copy/paste from them just like if you had gotten it via the @search command.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Get an IRC client. I use pchat portable.
Connect to irc.irchighway.net.
Go to channel #ebooks.
Wait a minute or so after you connect, as there is a delay before you can search.
You might also have to register a nickname, I forget if that's required now or not.
Use "@search" followed by whatever you are searching for. (Rarely the search function is down, so you'll see people doing stuff like "@searchook" where ook is one of the providers in the channel.
If you get some results, it will download a zipped text file with all the results.
Open that up, and find what you are looking for.
Highlight the entry you want all the way to the extension (usually .rar, .zip, .mobi, etc.) Leave off the size info.
Paste that into the IRC chat window.
If you did it right, the provider will show that they received your request, and depending upon how fast they are, the size of their queue, etc. it might start immediately or it might take 10 minutes. You'll eventually figure out which ones are faster. "Pondering" is usually very fast. Occasionally they will show up in the search results but be offline, so you'll get no response. Just check on the user list for their name and see if they are online.
Once it downloads, the easiest thing to do is drag the file into Calibre (ebook program), where you can convert it to other formats, send it to kindles via the kindle emails, etc.
Repeat for as many books as you want.

Some of the providers have separate 0-day lists that aren't accessed by the @search command, they will periodically spam how to download them. Once you do that, you can unzip them and copy/paste from them just like if you had gotten it via the @search command.

This is how I've obtained books for over a decade.

Just be aware that, just like torrenting movies and tv shows, if nerds don't like the books you want then they will be difficult to find. Source: trying to download books for my wife that nerds don't like.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
This is how I've obtained books for over a decade.

Just be aware that, just like torrenting movies and tv shows, if nerds don't like the books you want then they will be difficult to find. Source: trying to download books for my wife that nerds don't like.

IRC forever. This is what i'm running into with some new stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user