Torrents

The Master

Bronze Squire
Whoops, seems like I let both my Waffles and What accounts lapse due to inactivity and I can't seem to logon to either if their IRC servers. Any idea how I can get that fixed? My ratio on both sites is over 2...

EDIT: nvm, figured it out. Also I way understated the case, my ratio on what is 12.4. o_O

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Waffles canceled my account about a year ago after I had uploaded over 20 cds because I didn't log in for 30 days. While it is in the rules, that annoyed me since I missed it by like two days. I could have probably got it back, but I realized that I never use Waffles for anything, ever, I was just splitting my time between them and What trying to get good ratios. 99% of their content is just someone taking from What anyway.

I have not missed it one bit since losing it.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Wasn't sure where to post this so I'll throw it here since I know there's a lot of Plex enthusiasts on this forum.

The Plex Media Server proxy functionality fails to properly validate pre-authentication user requests. This allows unauthenticated attackers to make the Plex Media Server execute arbitrary HTTP requests and hence bypass all authentication and execute commands with administrative privileges.

Furthermore, because of insufficient input validation, arbitrary local files can be disclosed without prior authentication including passwords and other sensitive information.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have no idea what any of that means to me gogusrl. In layman's terms, are my internets gonna be hax0red if I keep my Plex server running?

On a separate note, there was some discussion a couple months back about VPNs and having to turn them off and on, etc. Well, I just built a new machine, so I decided to experiment and bought a second Windows 8 license and installed it in a Virtualbox window. Then I installed the PrivateInternetAccess VPN on it, and it works perfectly. My torrents, FTP, and newsgroups all run through an encrypted VPN in that box, while my main computer still connects normally so things like Steam, Amazon, etc. don't think I'm hopping all over the globe. With the amount you can pick up a Win 8 license for (discussed somewhere on this board, but to save you time, reddit is your answer), it was completely worth it to me. And now I am actually using some of those 16GB of memory too! Pretty much the perfect setup now, and matched with my seedbox, practically effortless.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Not your internets, the computer running Plex. That vulnerability allows anyone to bypass your login and access all the files on that system.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not your internets, the computer running Plex. That vulnerability allows anyone to bypass your login and access all the files on that system.
Would that include network shares? Because there isn't much on that computer besides XBMC, Plex, etc. but if they could get to the NAS, I'd be screwed.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Ah nm, I see. This impacts older versions of plex media server, basically 0.9.9.3, current version is 0.9.9.5. So update if you haven't already.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
^

Keep in mind that I think you have to manually update Plex Media Server (the program on your media-hosting computer, not the web service side). Before I downloaded 0.9.9.5 I believe I was still at the version I initially started using it at (0.9.8.18 or something)

spronk

FPS noob
i would imagine ipt is gonna get slammed pretty soon, the admins of a few tracker sites are claiming IPT is the one behind DDOS of sites like ptp, what, scc, etc and stealing "stuff" from them. no idea if any of it is true or not but I cant imagine good things happening.

which also serves as a reminder, each of these sites has full access to your name/password/IP so you definitely shouldn't use the same password on all of em, or anywhere else

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Ugh, I've been putting off doing the [What interview-->PU invite chain] due to laziness and having IPT already. Pretty shady- even only being a user for one month IPT felt like it was really doing everything it could to solicit "donations.""You won't be safe unless you donate now and get our super secure SSL tracker, VIP privilege only!"

I can absolutely see being upset at the security issue of peers being stolen, but pirate sites complaining about "their" content being stolen is kind of amusing.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Where are you guys hearing this stuff about IPT attacking other sites?

I hear a lot of rumors, but never from any reputable source.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Where are you guys hearing this stuff about IPT attacking other sites?

I hear a lot of rumors, but never from any reputable source.
It's just accusations at this point. The BTN sysops have been the most outspoken at pointing fingers, but the affected sites seem to be in agreement.Here's the thread about it on reddit.

Announcement from BTN's Sysop, Bitey:
Some of you may now be aware (several threads around the traps, including reddit) of a series of events that has occurred in the private tracker community affecting several sites including BTN.

There exists a level of professional courtesy and trust between many of the private trackers and although content may be shared amongst different private tracker communities from time to time, there are certain security and ethical boundaries that must never be crossed.

BTN takes your privacy and security extremely seriously however there have been some very concerning issues regarding other site(s) taking not only the content of other trackers (including BTN's), but also breaching the security of a private-swarm by taking a snapshot of the peer-list (everyone leeching/seeding a particular torrent), then manipulating the peer list on their site(s) such that instead of a client only sending data to the private-swarm (consisting of members of that particular tracker like BTN) they send data to the untrusted peers of their site(s).

This is totally unacceptable and a clear breach of both trust and the principles of security that exists between the respected sites of private tracker community.

For at least one of the sites involved this is not the first breach of the private tracker community's trust. As such BTN has now taken steps to remove anyone directly involved, associated with or suspected of being involved in this activity. We have zero tolerance for such unprofessional and unethical behavior.

We understand that there may be individuals affected by our decision that have either not taken part in or may be totally unaware of this disgraceful activity, however due to the seriousness of this matter and the undeniable breach of trust, they have regrettably been subject to the same outcome. We have also taken steps to identify and prevent any recurrence of this nature and where detected, those involved will face the same fate.

We do not apologise for taking these actions, we have not done so in retaliation, this is not a witch-hunt nor is it about the content, we have done so in order to protect our member's security and privacy. We wont compromise our values, principles or the trust of our members, we are BTN.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Anyone with a spare invite for torrentleech?
yaamean2009 at gmail - thanks in advance if anyone comes through.

-Y