Total War series

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
They always look amazing. Then the glaring AI deficiencies they say they fixed always come back and you have your units stuck on ladders.

Empire Total War at launch was an absolute travesty. Let's never forget how that was launched. Napolean was a rekin sold at a higher price than normal.

The series redeemed itself for me again in Shogun 2. So I will actually pay attention to Rome 2.

They have all been patched now. But I have been burned enough (With the exception of Shogun 2) to never buy one of these games on launch day and wait 2 months for the patches.

With that said, you will be fine playing anything empire and up (for the better graphical experience) and once you are finished, you can Mod Medieval 2 to change everything into Lord of the Rings. That's a fun mod
wink.png

wink.png

W

Wrathcaster

If you want a more up-to-date, refined, and traditional TW game, Total War: Shogun 2 is very, very cool albeit on a less grand scale than other titles in the genre. If you've never played before, I'd start the original game or Rise of the Samurai first, then play Fall of the Samurai. Personally, my favorite is Fall of the Samurai but the emphasis on more modern artillery and firearms departs significantly from the gameplay of the signature titles, which I would consider to be Total War: Rome or Total War: Medieval 2. Rome was cool because of the vast variety in units and factions, somewhat similar with Medieval. Shogun 2 is just better overall as far as the base game goes for graphics and AI IMO, if you're looking for something from this decade and something to really take advantage of your hardware.

The one pitfall I see in Shogun 2 is that it lacks quite a bit in unit variety as opposed to Rome and Medieval. It's pretty much Imperial vs. Shogunate and largely the units for each side mirror each other, with most of the units available to both sides, and the mid/late game end up with massive armies of largely the same units (rifle infantry/spearmen/spear cavalry/artillery cannons/rifle cavalry). There's a few cool mods that can change it up a bit and alter strategy, such as DarthMod, which makes cavalry of all types much, much more formidable against rifle/bow infantry, but doesn't add much in unit variety.

Also, the ship battles in Shogun 2 are fucking awesome, with iron hulled ships pummeling each other with armor piercing cannons and catching the odd wooden ship with explosive rounds for a very big explosion.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Release date for Rome 2 was announced today. Sept 3. They have already started their dlc bullshit with pre-ordering getting you access to three factions: Sparta Athens and Epirus. Knowing what they did with Shogun2, they'll end up charging 10-15 bucks for that pack otherwise.

So... Risk of a typical shitty TW release state, or end up paying more later.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I read about a different dlc faction... something with a P, they were based on the black sea and apparently everyone was supposed to get them for free on release. Nice to see a release date though, despite their track record at release state. This one looks good.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Pontus, everyone gets them free on release apparently. The greek states are free if you preorder.

Dom_sl

shitlord
I don't think I'd mind much if the bonus factions were just outlier factions that were incredibly important to the period, but not pre-ordering means you're fucked out of playing the majority of Greece. I imagine Macedonia will be one of the core factions, but who the fuck wants to play them?

Scyfi

N00b
It's Rome 2 and looks amazing! Id pay $100 for the game.

It's one of maybe 5 games i will buy this year because so many of the games that come out suck. TW has yet to make me regret buying a game.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Release date for Rome 2 was announced today. Sept 3. They have already started their dlc bullshit with pre-ordering getting you access to three factions: Sparta Athens and Epirus. Knowing what they did with Shogun2, they'll end up charging 10-15 bucks for that pack otherwise.

So... Risk of a typical shitty TW release state, or end up paying more later.
will buy 2 years later during steam sale.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Stupid shit like this and I'll just grab it from my torrent site.
Problem with that is that every TW game since Empire has been incredibly hard for scene groups to crack. Even when they put out a release: it's even buggier than the actual game and is simply not worth the headaches. Who wants to play a TW game that crashes past the 100th turn without fail?

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
While I do want Rome 2, Im actually more intrested in what CA will do with the Warhammer licence they picked up. A TW set in the warhammer world (please god, WH40k too, please!) would be epic and force me to quit my job.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's Rome 2 and looks amazing! Id pay $100 for the game.

It's one of maybe 5 games i will buy this year because so many of the games that come out suck. TW has yet to make me regret buying a game.
rolleyes.png

How much is Sega paying you for this one?

Empire Total War was a disaster. I was pleased with Shogun 2. Napolean should have been given away for free for anyone that put up with Empire's launch.

Either way, your post is funny.

rolleyes.png

Sulrn

Deuces
rolleyes.png

Empire Total War was a disaster. I was pleased with Shogun 2. Napolean should have been given away for free for anyone that put up with Empire's launch.

I stand by his (Scyfi) quote. Every TW game I've purchased (S 1/2 , M1/2) has more than 1,000 hours playtime into it. I even gave a friend S1 + M2 while I was in school and nearly ruined his marriage over the 3 months his wife let him keep the game installed.

Scyfi

N00b
rolleyes.png

I didn't play empire because I wasn't interested in the time period, so I can't say anything regarding that game. But I loved Rome, both MEs and both Shoguns. TW is more than just Empire, and it is dishonest to claim that one game taints the entire franchise.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Not if the taint is so fucking disgusting and foul that it... well, taints everything else around it. The game is 4 years old and you still can't have a siege battle that works in any fashion. Not to mention that the load times are ridiculous and the general performance of the game is shit.

Yes, it is the exception to the rule, but E:TW lost them a lot of good will and their following anti-mod stance and DLC nickle and diming really didn't help much, so you have a situation where people love the games (minus 1) but hate the company.

Sulrn

Deuces
Doesn't need a new thread, but a wave of discounts went out for TW owners.

I have a 75% off Shogun 2 if anyone wants to trade/needs.

swedish_chef_sl

shitlord
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sunder...the-witch-king

Best mod ever for total war, amazingly well done, campaing is a blast and a challenge.
However in this campaign there are only elves, and Cultists (organized bandits with cities etc), there is however a major update due this summer with another campaign where hopefully we can play as skaven/dwarves/orks etc

EDIT: Mod needs Medieval II Total war - Kingdoms

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Pardon the mighty necro... but I do have some questions regarding mods.

I've installed Rome I + Barbarian Invasion and Medieval 2 + Kingdoms. And now I want to try some mods.
What do you recomend ?

For Rome Total War - Roma Surectum 2 or Europa Barbarorum ?
For Medieval 2 Kingdoms - Stainless Steel or Deus Lo Vult ?

Any other completed and polished mods out there for either of theese two games ?