Total War series

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Overall I really enjoyed Shogun 2, and have 100 hours played in the game. But yes, the siege and run by army issues were still a problem. I like the new style campaign map over the older one though and they just need to fix an army's zone of control. In my opinion a simple solution would be to make the "control area" of an army based on move distance per turn.

Basically, the amount of movement points left when you end a turn (or some % of them) is the area an enemy army can't cross without fighting you. That way you can actually have an army take up defensive positions to protect a provence or choke point. It could also be based on some difference in movement points between the 2 armies. In other words, an infantry army approaching another infantry army will see a larger zone of control than a cavalry army would. That would also give more campaign map strategy options to different army compositions.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So is there a way to vector unit production in Shogun 2 like you could in original Medieval and Shogun?

I couldnt find any info on it online.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
In the original version of Shogun and Medieval (and Rome too I think), you could set up whats called a vector for each city. This would automatically move a produced unit to a designated city without you having to click on them manually in each province and manually direct them to another city. This was a huge help in the second half of the campaign where you would manage anywhere from 5-10 armies simultaneously because you could just have your entire empire vector units to few selected choke point strongholds like Istanbul, Gibraltar, and then take full stacks from there and keep moving them into enemy territory.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Ah. You can do that with generals rather than cities. Basically if you recruit from the generals tab it will produce that unit at the nearest valid city and then automatically send them to your general. It is a tab next to army when you click on a general. I don't think you can do that with cities unless they have a general in them.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
How does it know whether to create 1 unit each in 20 cities? or 5 units each in 4 nearby cities?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
How does it know whether to create 1 unit each in 20 cities? or 5 units each in 4 nearby cities?
Not entirely sure, I don't use it much. I think you basically order x amount of troops and it figures out the least number of turns to get them to you, and automatically figures out which cities to make them in.

So if City A is 3 turns further away, it will make 2 in City B instead.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Gotcha. Gonna try that out today. Thanks friend!

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Biggest problem I had with Shogun 2, Empire, and Napoleon was unit and faction variety. Everything felt too similar. Will be happy to return to legions vs elephants vs chariots vs phalanxes vs horse archers.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Shogun 2 suffered from that something fierce, but honestly what could you really do. It was the island of Japan, there isn't really that much of a difference between any two warring factions there, so I guess CA made the best of it. But Rome, awwwwwww yeah, Barbarians vs Legions, Elephants, Camels, Cataphracts, Horse Archers. Serious unit variety up in this bitch.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Rome is probably my favorite historical setting of all time for games,especiallyfor Total War games. I have been really looking forward to Rome 2. Like you guys said, the unit variety is amazing, the visuals are great (I love the look of Roman Legionaries), and the ACTUAL history is varied and interesting. Can't wait for Tuesday (or Monday at midnight).

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
So, I decided to try and load up some of the old total war games. I've had them all installed via steam for a while, last I played was a month ago.

Went to play shogun 2 today and after clicking play, it would say the game was loading, then nothing would happen. I haven't made any hardware changes since I last played....

I restarted steam, verified the cache, deleted and reinstalled, and the game still won't launch. Said fuck it, and went to launch Empire. Same thing. Rome, same thing. Has anyone had something similar?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I have not.

I just reinstalled Rome the other day, both work flawlessly for me from 1st install.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
So, I decided to try and load up some of the old total war games. I've had them all installed via steam for a while, last I played was a month ago.

Went to play shogun 2 today and after clicking play, it would say the game was loading, then nothing would happen. I haven't made any hardware changes since I last played....

I restarted steam, verified the cache, deleted and reinstalled, and the game still won't launch. Said fuck it, and went to launch Empire. Same thing. Rome, same thing. Has anyone had something similar?
Probably a problem with steam, I would say exit steam completely and restart...I'ts been acting up for me for a week with behaviours you describe..I evne had t flush the cache and restart to get it to pre load rome 2.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The two reviews I read both basically said..."meh". Not a good sign.

This should be a sequel where the review says "umm lets just say 99, because nothing's perfect. Now I'm going back to playing it."

Nutron_sl

shitlord
The two reviews I read both basically said..."meh". Not a good sign.

This should be a sequel where the review says "umm lets just say 99, because nothing's perfect. Now I'm going back to playing it."
Sounds like they didnt touch the shitty ai and its still terrible
frown.png

I mean...if retard video gamers comonly known as reviewers find the ai too easy, it must be fucking AWFUL.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Sounds like they didnt touch the shitty ai and its still terrible
frown.png

I mean...if retard video gamers comonly known as reviewers find the ai too easy, it must be fucking AWFUL.
I still have fond memories of RTW when close to defeat using two or more skirmisher units to kite heavy infantry around the map & ping pong them till they lost enough morale to run/get butchered for a heroic victory.
redface.png

I also remember the moments when I beat the odds using more direct tactics with inferior melee units. Utilizing the terrain properly to my advantage was always great; putting levy spearmen on an incline and guarding them till the enemy unit exhausted then sending in some reserve from behind was always great fun.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Woke up early to play a couple hours this morning, and it's shit. Annoying color filters, HORRIBLE UI, I can't stress how bad every menu is compared to Shogun 2. Bugs out the ass. It's like playing an early beta.

If you are on the fence wait until they've fixed it. It's really garbage right now

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Played a bit of the introduction. Its still Total War. I haven't dug deep enough to know if the UI changes are a hassle the longer you play but all in all it still plays basically the same.

Will have to play more when I have more time to really judge.